Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Ribble Valley R/C Car Club

Old 22-03-2014

Default Last night's new format

Now the dust has settled after last night's format change, what did everyone think.

I personally didn't have a problem with it (as a GT12 racer I got more time on the track), but I know there were a few people (who shall remain nameless, mainly because I don't know their names) that were unhappy with it.

To be entirely honest, I don't think the format gained us anything in terms of time on the night, just a couple of minutes in between round change overs. I mean it was still nearly 11pm when the track was put away.

I think the place to gain the time is between the heats, and you do this by stopping people blasting round the track for 5 laps before the start of a heat. The finals worked really well last night, as they were a case of get your car on the track and get lined up.
I think if we did that in the heats too, we would be able to go back to 3 x 4 min heats plus your final quite easily, and I think that this would be the preferred format for many.

Opinions.....

Chris.....

Schumacher CAT K1
Schumacher Supastox
__________________________________________________ ________________

Well that was me...the guy you just lapped...again
Old 22-03-2014

Chris,
To be frank was quite disappointed last night as had glitching issues heat one and heat two broke my car which meant no third heat to get a decent amount of laps done and yes there were plenty of others complaining about the lack of track time; some who'd travelled a long distance. Is this now going to be a regular thing of two heats and a final?

Lee
Old 22-03-2014

If this is the new format then we wil not be regularly attending anymore. We travel an hour and a half each way to race with you guys and two heats and a final is not worth the money for us. Combine that with the packed heats and it made it very difficult to get a clean run. I too like lee above had rotten luck in my 2 heats which left me in the c final, without a chance of redemption I raced the final only to lap the 2nd placed buggy 2 or 3 times.
The race experience is being diluted to cram everyone in, would be better to have to turn people away rather than have people not wanting to come?
KF, XB4 2014
Old 22-03-2014

I know i wasnt there last night but why was the race format changed on the last week of the championship?
Old 22-03-2014

Graham,
The previous week there weren't a lot of people left in the end to pack away which meant that instead of being out for half ten believe it was about twenty to eleven so the committee decided to run this week only two five minute heats and a final for buggies but don't think we finished any earlier.
Lee
Old 22-03-2014

Cheers Lee.
It was more like 11 when we got away last week.
It does seem like a negative thing to change to but can understand why the committee wanted to try something different but it sounds like there were few benefits. Hopefully they will revert back to normal.

Was last night still week 7 of the championship? If so, who won the buggys?
Old 22-03-2014

Graham yes it was the last round Mark Redmond won 4wd don't about 2wd.
Old 22-03-2014

Forgot to add that on a positive note more people stoppes behind to help pack away.
Old 22-03-2014

Hi all, I enjoy reading all the comments on here but have never posted as I felt the club was perfect as it was, and hope it would remain the same. I have to say, last nights change was disappointing. Hence this post.
Two heats + final as previously discussed isn't enough. The longer race for me proved tougher as I found my concentration levels dropped toward the end. Plus tougher on cells and charging time was greatly increased. After my heat, to return to pits, remove cells and charge in lipo sack then Marshall was a rush. Previously I've done all that after marshalling.
I feel the problem behind all this is the success and popularity of the club. Too many racers. Limiting numbers, unfortunately would help.
I usually help with track assembly/disassembly however, due to crash on M6 we came in slightly later. Track was built already (good work lads) but was nearly 8 before first crowded heat. In my opinion the kamikaze practice sessions could be dropped to save time. In short, we need to start sooner and limit numbers.
Harsh but I feel true.
Lot of respect for Eric, Janice, Peter and committee for their work at the club. It's a great club and love attending. Just hope it doesn't become a victim of its own success?.

Ps, after reading the great heated debate prior the AGM..... What happened????
Old 22-03-2014

Paul Crompton won the A final somehow managing to stay out of the carnage running 2wd. I came home 2nd, just getting past Steve on the last lap racing to the line, which was top 4wd.

Adam should have some credit because his 2wd last night was rapid, he only qualified 4th but in the second run he was on it.

Mark ran his 2wd last night and commented the only real difference was in the braking. I think it'll be interesting if we mostly run 2wd next championship so I hoping to run mine next Friday.

The format, I agree it didn't work overly well and we didn't win anything in terms of time. That said we can't blame the committee, the blame points at the racers and I think the message is clear guys, if we want more track time we all have to play a part in packing up. If we don't the committee can't be blamed for trialling ideas to get us out the place on time. Just something for us all to consider.
Old 22-03-2014

cheers andy my car was super quick but couldn't get a clean run in rd1,2 or the final kept getting knocked off when lapping people, to many cars in the races from heat 1 all the way up to topheat, in my opinion race format didn't work there were so many people having problems early on in a race and losing a lot of track time
Old 22-03-2014

Last night was the best compromise for the situation. It was a choice of 5 or 6 minute heats. 5 was the better option. Overall we only lost 1 minute of track time but yes if you had issues due to less rounds you had no chance to make up for it. As far as I know it was a one off as a lot of people were running late due to the traffic.
Old 23-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy110m View Post
Paul Crompton won the A final somehow managing to stay out of the carnage running 2wd. I came home 2nd, just getting past Steve on the last lap racing to the line, which was top 4wd.

Adam should have some credit because his 2wd last night was rapid, he only qualified 4th but in the second run he was on it.

Mark ran his 2wd last night and commented the only real difference was in the braking. I think it'll be interesting if we mostly run 2wd next championship so I hoping to run mine next Friday.

The format, I agree it didn't work overly well and we didn't win anything in terms of time. That said we can't blame the committee, the blame points at the racers and I think the message is clear guys, if we want more track time we all have to play a part in packing up. If we don't the committee can't be blamed for trialling ideas to get us out the place on time. Just something for us all to consider.
Well done Paul
Old 23-03-2014

Hi all, just to clarify what has prompted the change of Race format.
There are several reasons for the change in format :-

1) The AGM voted against the proposals from the committee to restrict the number of racers informing us to "Manage the situation best way we can"

2) Current numbers mean that if we start on time at 7:30 we would finish racing at best !0:40 then it takes at least 30 minutes to pack up and lock up taking us to 11:10. That's on a good night when we start on time no glitches on the computer and no problems with the track.

3) We have had occasions where insufficient people are staying behind to pack away the track and especially putting the carpet on the truck. Main reason given for not staying behind is "Its too Late".

4) We only rent the hall officially from 6:30 till 10:30.

The change in format last week did actually work because we didn't start until 7:45 because so many people came late do to traffic problems, we lost time due to computer glitches and track issues. We locked the hall up at 11:15.

If we had not used the new format we would have been there until at least 11:45.

We will endeavor to maximize Number of heats and Time racing but we have a finite Time with an unlimited number of racers.

We cannot guarantee 4 rounds at the moment.
Old 23-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by adprim View Post
cheers andy my car was super quick but couldn't get a clean run in rd1,2 or the final kept getting knocked off when lapping people, to many cars in the races from heat 1 all the way up to topheat, in my opinion race format didn't work there were so many people having problems early on in a race and losing a lot of track time
Unfortunately this is nothing to do with the new format its the number of racers on track, which is what the committee wanted to restrict to either 8 or 9 but it was voted against at the AGM.