Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Ribble Valley R/C Car Club

Old 13-04-2013

Default GT12 or buggy for youngsters

Hi guys, interested in your opinion.

Ben is keen to try mardave/supastox. I think its partly due to the fact he wants something new, partly due to the fact that he struggled a little with the new tight track in the first couple of weeks and partly because I took him to watch British GT at Oulton Park and he wants something that looks like a ferrari.

Nevertheless switching to GT12 for him is something I have thought about before.

So the thing I would like your opinion on is, whether I should keep going with him on buggies and transition to a better buggy at some point in the near future, or whether it would be good/bad for his driving development to switch to the GT12 route.

Guess I am not sure whether the ability to just bounce off the kerbs round the corners will be a help or a hindrance to his driving.

Thanks in advance.
Old 13-04-2013

Bit of a tricky one this Andy I know Vaughn did not take to much to running mardave he prefered buggys but little Mat ,Lees lad is mustard with them picked it up right away. I have a mardave set up just needs a receiver and your away if you want to borrow it for a few weeks see if he likes it even got the 4 cell you can use its my old stock dave so its good to go. But me personaly I would try and keep him on buggys as he is still very young buddy and maybe on some of the fun nights dive in his heat with him after all its all about having fun and the kids love racing against there dads I know vaughn does anyway
Old 16-04-2013

Martin thanks very much for the offer of a loan, extremely kind. I think I will take you up on it, in a couple of weeks. It would be good to give it a try, before I spend loads of money on something we may not continue with. I'm going to give him a couple more weeks with the buggy. Just got him a new shell, he's a Cal Crutchlow fan so "trying" to do a replica paint job this week! Wish me luck.

He still loves coming which is great. Very good idea about running in same heats, not thought of that. Either way, its good to have a hobby which he enjoys and even better its one that I like too:-)
Old 17-04-2013

Default Buggies vs Gt12

Hi andy,

Young Daniel was the same, he started with a buggy but got frustrated with keep on crashing and the buggie not saying on 4 wheels... Jumps etc.... How ever been racing gt12 for 8 months and his standard of driving has come on in leaps and bounds... I would certainly let him have a go, as Martin has kindly offered you a car for a few weeks...

I will be introducing Daniel back into buggies in the near future but wanted to developer his skills mainly car control and ability to read race traffic... Also is cheap to
Old 12-05-2013

I have been looking at getting him a supastox, I think they seem like a good bit of kit. Kept my eyes on eBay and oople, but not many good deals, so bided my time.

Perhaps it was a good deal or perhaps it was prompted by the fact that Ben managed to break both his car and my car last meet, but I got a mardave of eBay tonight.

Will have to see what it's like might be rubbish, but got a mardave v12, 2.4ghz tranny, 2 recievers, J R servo, 13.5t brushless motor and esc, 5000mAh battery. £78.

We will see of it was a good deal or not, just got to explain to the missus why I have bought it now. Wish me luck!