Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 14-02-2015

Default speed tests

Hi all, I've just got my first 1/8 up and running it's a hot bodies d8 hara edition which I converted to brushless with a ezrun 120a sc8 speedo and 1900kv turnigy motor and 5000mah turnigy 20-30c 4s lipo. My question to all of you is what kind of top speed should I be expecting? Just done a speed test using an app on my phone and got 32mph which is fast I know but as always I want a bit more! thanks for any input shaun
Old 14-02-2015

What gearing are you running? Is this car just for bashing? My mugen with a 14t pinion isn't that fast maybe 30 or so but has good punch on track which is more important.
Old 14-02-2015

It's mainly for bashing I'm running a 16t pinion and the stock spur, for the speed test I had the timing as high as it will go and it was still really cool so I may try a bigger pinion in the future if I do race it I'm sure it will have enough speed/punch as I'm not a great driver! But I do find it a lot easier to drive than my Lc micro which I do race
Old 15-02-2015

Okay yeah put a big pinion on, should give some more speed. Yeah it's best to keep the gearing low on a track otherwise it makes it hard to drive, can't get the punch to clear jumps etc.
Old 13-03-2015

I would have expected more speed from a bigger model. I have been thinking of a switch to 1/8 brushless for some time now, however given this thread and the max speeds listed of some extremely capable models I'm having second thoughts. Perhaps no bad thing, the weight can be a danger factor if bashing...

Do we think it might be the overall weight increase of a '1/8' over a '1/10' (and they do seem like 45% bigger!) that's giving the brushless power systems a hard time? I understand (and I'm new) that you can do a race ready tenth scale buggy class roller in around 1.5kg, how much more was a good 1/8 race ready model perhaps?

The other possibility might be they are just more fun with greater acceleration and lower top speed, and so everyone runs them that way, could that be true?

Thanks all :P (<)
Old 13-03-2015

If you want it to go really fast then just run it on 5 or 6 cell, on 5 cell with a large pinion my car rips it's tyres off the rims. I think a 1/8 is around 3-4 kg
Old 14-03-2015

Don't let the speeds put you off my car is the best fun I've had with a rc car! There are always ways to make it faster but the torque and handling make 1/8 easy to drive and they are tough! Although tyres don't last long 4 runs on mixed tarmac /grass and mine were bald