Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 01-01-2011

Default Newbie!! Looking for advice on first car

Usually I prefer playing with rc helicopters, but when a mate of mine told me he had bought a HBX Rocket Pro over xmas, I started getting an itch!!

Tbh, I didn't really want to spend too much as I'll only be messing about, and probably wouldn't get chance to go out too often. Just looking to mess about on grass, dirt/gravel, etc, small jumps & hill climbs - as I say, general messing about.

I went into my LHS with the intention of picking up a Maverick Atom XT for some cheap fun, as everything I had read said they were great vfm.

Trouble is, they were out of stock, and didn't have much within my budget at 1:10 scale either.

So then I went away and mulled over a Maverick Strada XT Evo, and the LRP Blast S10 TX. They look fairly similar to me, similar spec of components, etc but then, I am a newbie!!

Blast looks to be worth the extra, but would then need a better battery/charger, and as I say, for just messing around I don't know if I want to spend quite that much.

Still mulling it over, but then decided to have a look at second hand options to maybe get a better deal. I don't mind having to do a little TLC if needed!!

I'm thinking that a truggy or truck will the way forward for the sort of stuff I'll be using it on (unless buggy's can easilly be given ground clearance?).

Can anyone recommend some decent cars to look at on the 2nd hand market? So far I've come across rustlers & stampedes pretty cheap, but then I get lost in a world of older Tamiya's, etc that I don't know anything about!!!
Old 01-01-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

Might be worth looking at an Associated SC10 Short Course Truck if your bashing...seem to be a few about 2nd hand and they are only a bit dearer new than the LRP blast.

Good things about it:
shares a lot of parts with the same B4 buggy, and T4 truck, which are available from quite a few places

The big bodyshell protects the shock towers quite well, and looks scale, which helps keep breakage costs down.

You can do sliding and drifts with them very well, as they are 2wd.

The extra ground clearance helps over rougher ground, and the block tyres last a long time.

They also do a brushless 2.4 Ghz version RTR, which is also worth looking into.

Hope this helps!
Mark
Old 01-01-2011

Thanks for that Mark, I must admit, I had heard alot about the B4 buggy, but not so much about the truggy.

I'll check it out

One thing though, I've seen a few 'short course' cars and don't really get what they are designed for? From my limited knowledge I gather that buggy = race/smoother stuff, truck = bashing and a truggy somewhere in the middle.

So where does SC fit in? Similar to a truggy?
Old 01-01-2011

HI there

For moreso bashing around I'd give a +1 for the short course class, there's a losi strike and a HPI blitz both up on the bay at the mo.

Don't know an awful lot about the losi strike, but am sure quite a few peeps use the blitz for racing, so, could start bashing with the HPI to start and then if you wanted to do in the future use it to race as well

(the one on the bay looks pretty good to me, comes with everything by the looks of it....and no it's not mine)

Pends on what your budget is tho spose, as the losi strike is also near enough rtr, but half the price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HPI-Blitz-1-10...item3f0627480f

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRUSHLESS-Losi...item27b7a2ccd7
Old 01-01-2011

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately the Blitz is way out of my budget.

The Strike looks like a good price considering it is brushless, but reading around it sounds like they are a bit love or hate.

I've actually PM'd someone on here about a B4 they have for sale. I wasn't specifically looking for a buggy, but it looks like a good deal, and will be ideal for me to try this hobby out without spending too much. Then if I get into it, I'll have a better idea of what the next car will need to be
Old 03-01-2011

Well, I bought the B4 that Neil had advertised in the for sale section

I know it's a racer, but there's plenty of smooth stuff around for me to get to grips with it on. Never know, there might even be a race course near by (Sudbury, Suffolk).

I think I may still look out for a truck of some sort to abuse as well, something like a Slash looks nice, but the B4 will get me started without spending too much! Until I can resist a brushless setup that is!
Old 03-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

have you had a look at the HPI TROPHY?cheep and ok to run off and on road they look like a good bit of kit

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486