Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 27-05-2014

Having driven the car for a few laps: it's a hoot! And absolutely idiot-proof to drive. I'm sure one can be drunk, sleepwalking, or doped up and still do well.
Old 01-06-2014
Mad Member

Thanks for the kind words Elvo - It would be a fun thing to test actually

Today I finished a bodyshell prototype from Phat bodies that I recently received. I made a few pictures before I tested the car in the local park:

Compared to the D413 shell, it has a better fit around the chassis, and the narrower cab and straight (vertical) sidepods make the car look a little lighter and slimmer I absolutely love it, and the two and a half years of hard work deserves to be wrapped in a tailor made set of body panels - finally! Thanks a lot Phat Bodies for helping out here!

Speaking of the test, the surface underneith was disappointingly flat (I wanted to test the spring/damping setup). Also, I let a friend drive it, and the wing mount broke in a weird cartwheeling crash. It may have been just a wrong hit, or a slightly too optimistic construction... either way I will reinforce a revised plate - in the meantime I will run the 4mm spare one - it should hold out much better than the 2.5mm one that broke

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 01-06-2014
Gypsy Member

LOOKING GOOD DUDE
Old 01-06-2014
Mad Member

Thanks I'll keep the updates coming: Here's a video from a run last Sunday after the club race:

Grip conditions were high - a bit unusual for this track - but the car handled it quite well - much better than the last car would have, that's for sure!

Old 09-06-2014
Mad Member

Time for more updates! Today I achieved a new personal best (Dutch-Belgian) Nationals' result with my first time to make it to the A-finals and a 9th place overall - which I have done running the FWD Buggy! It was a dramatic event that almost got cancelled because of flooding of the (clay) track on the night before the event. Conditions were ever changing, the field was very close and competitive, there is NO way I could have achieved this result without the consistency of the FWD Buggy!

I don't have pictures or videos to show for, but I've heard some people might have photos or videos - so I'll try to source these a.s.a.p!

PS: I'd like to thank all the people that helped me: Mods to the car, hospitality and support!

Old 09-06-2014

pics from v. Helmond
Old 10-06-2014
Mad Member

And this was the sight before we started clearing the track at 06:00...

(Also picture by v. Helmond family)

The track was cleared twice before in the last to weeks of similar amounts of rain and meticulously prepared - all undone in about 90 minutes time! Luckily by starting the clean-up with a team of early birds the track was sufficiently cleaned to start racing by 11:00 - that's what I recall anyway (it was a chaotic day)

Oh, and here is the listing of the A-final results:

You might notice I didn't finish in the third heat... Over the course of the day, some holes, bumps and ruts developed in the moist clay. The FWD usually goes over them very smoothly, but this time it caught one badly I guess: the car rolled and stripped the thread of an adjuster in the steering rack. I must admit they were pretty short adjusters, so it's time to fix that weak spot

Old 10-06-2014

Very good news!! Congrats!!
Old 10-06-2014

Thumbs up

https://plus.google.com/u/0/11593118...ts/ZvGYoRCG2S5">https://plus.google.com/u/0/11593118...ts/ZvGYoRCG2S5" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
Old 10-06-2014

Thumbs up

*trying to link to a Google video*
Old 10-06-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvo View Post
*trying to link to a Google video*

Is this the video you're referring to Elvo?

Old 10-06-2014
Mad Member

Sorry, double post...

Old 11-06-2014
Mad Member

Here are some action pictures of the car in action on the off-camber. When it was still damp the trick was to have a wide corner entry and cut to the apex late so the car could accelerate early (first picture). When the track dried (as in the pictures) it became harder to pull off this trick consistently as the car started to show some understeer (second picture).

The pictures are courtesy of Eric Hendriks, thanks for the awesome shots!

Edit:

And another video:

It's footage of the finals in general. The FWD is in view from 04:20 since I was being lapped, and the second heat is a static camera view, so you can follow me around most of the track and compare the pace to the other cars, but in less detail. Luckily the FWD has a distinguished profile and handling characteristics from the other cars

Old 01-07-2014
Mad Member

It's got a little late, but I really wanted to share this video

It's a test on a smooth track with a blue groove and (a lot of) dust off the racing line. The car went well without changes to the setup - I could improve it further, but I didn't really have time to work on that. Besides, next week I'll be running it at the GP, chances are I'll be overhauling the setup for astro as well, I better save my appetite for wrenching

In case anyone is wondering: I shot the video, the driver is a fellow member of MAC Vlijmen. To give you an idea of the pace of the car: The yellow RWD you see in the video drove in the A-finals the next day, and so did the driver of the FWD, but I should note: With his RWD car.

Old 07-07-2014
Mad Member

The testing pace has really picked up: Another weekend, another test!

This time around the testing took place at the venue of MBV Kampenhout, in preparation for this year's Kampenhout GP. The friday practice saw a dry track with high traction with a little dust off the racing line. The setup was extensively changed throughout the day and new parts were tested.

The car's performance has improved a lot over the last car: It's much easier to drive on astroturf now, it doesn't suffer from grip roll much anymore and the speed through some of the corners and the cobblestone sections was amazing. Overall it didn't yet feel as quick as my RWD, but the progress is encouraging Oh, and to top it off, here are some action pictures of the car (pictures courtesy of Eric Hendriks, thanks for snapping these beauties!)

Old 21-08-2014

UP!!

Old 21-08-2014
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Tom3012

Such a cool car! I want one!

Atomic Carbon S2, S44, Vega B4.1

Trader feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19374
Old 22-08-2014
Mad Member

Thanks guys I guess it's been a while since I wrote an update. Admittedly the testing had a little summer break (I focused on my RWD car), and recently I picked testing back up again.

For the most recent test I rebuilt the shocks (it was overdue), and I decided to overhaul the whole setup too, with new pistons, oil and springs. The car was tested on clay last weekend, and the progress is noticable: The car is much more stable over bumps and the front end is more predictable. Also, I cut about half of the wing's gurney off, which loosens the rear a touch in a smooth way and makes the car jump better, particularly in windy conditions.

In upcoming tests I hope to be able to test a new suspension and driveshaft system for the front end. It will use industry standard rear wheels like the current setup, but it uses different driveshafts and geometry from what I've used up to now.

Old 09-09-2014
Mad Member

I've been keeping things under a cover for a while now, but I've been working on load of stuff in the meantime. I think it's time to show a teaser of some recent work:

It's just a start, but... what do you guys think so far? Oh and in case anyone is wondering, the rear shock tower bulkhead is what I'm using on the current prototype.

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 09-09-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-09-2014

When can I order one?