Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 13-10-2014

Default Is the losi 22-4 durable?

Hi all.

I'm considering buying a 22-4 but how durable is it compared to other RC cars like the D413, TM4, ZX6 because I've considered them all but like most the Losi 22-4 and since I am forced to buy overseas regardless which model I buy, I might as well get the most durable one.

if I buy 22-4 I will buy the below TLR 22-4 centerdif conversion kit to have peace of mind.
http://www.rcshox.com/tlr-22-4-cente...onversion-kit/

what is the good and the bad on the Losi 22-4?

Best regards.
Old 13-10-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Like the 22, the 22-4 is quite bomb proof and to be honest it probably its best point.

The drive train on mine has been bullet proof,build and forget until you need a diff rebuild. I know some may have had problems but I think its just a case of how you build it first off.

Parts I have broken on mine are 2x front tower 1x rear tower 2x front wishbones mostly in heavy impacts big jumps and in one case colliding with a rolled car on a big jump section.

Also if you run the wide rear hex's on the back it does have a habit of shearing the nut and threaded part of drive shaft off if you land a jump on a slightly bad angle, annoying as they come in pairs and are not cheep

The big problem was the front hinge pins that shatter, but most replace them with shock shafts and that seem to solve the problem.

But if you are going to be running your car on mostly astroturf tracks and your a mortal club racer like me and many I know, I would give the 22-4 a wide birth as it's just hard work on high grip

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117

Last edited by racingdwarf; 13-10-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 13-10-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
Like the 22, the 22-4 is quite bomb proof and to be honest it probably its best point......
But if you are going to be running your car on mostly astroturf tracks and your a mortal club racer like me and many I know, I would give the 22-4 a wide birth as it's just hard work on high grip

Totally agree with that. I love my 22-4 in the wet or on Clay. However when the grip is high, I find it very difficult to drive - to the point that I didn't even use it.
Old 13-10-2014

2wd rear hubs and driveshafts, 6 hole pistons with a softer spring, extended rear link in a shorter position (mod to original camber block) and the high grip bits sorted, my 22-4 is amazing on Astro, yeah its taken a season to get it nearlly right but then its a brand new car and a lot different to any other car on the market. It just takes a bit of work.
as said above though, the cars been great, just the front wishbones and pivot block can be a little fragile in the wrong impact but then again what car holds together in a big shunt? Call me biased if you want but I think its an amazing car and well worth getting
Moody fools
Richpaint
Gmcc
Old 13-10-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

found it quite interesting actually just how few threads there have been about the 22-4, I love mine on our club dirt track or on our bumpy quite small grass track, but on astro this summer I have found it hideous and I know in our region I'm not alone.My results have suffered badly. I thought I would read more threads on the car, but looking back through the TLR section there is actually very little set up discussion, nor posts of delight or posts of desperation but there does seam to be quite a few up for sale now.

I like the car and will keep mine for my club tracks and leave that setup on it, but for mostly astro regionals next year I will be looking for another ride!

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 14-10-2014
Mad Member

To answer the original question I would say it is a very durable car. I broke nothing on mine and it had very solid feel about it with little slop and diffs/drivechain needed little attention.

I do have to agree with the other posters though about its performance on high grip tracks. I raced predominantly on high grip astro over the summer and had a pretty horrid time trying to get it to handle consistently. It was definitely my lack of set up skills because at times it was good but I could never just chuck it on the track and expect it to be 90% there and just have to make a few small few adjustments. The one meeting we had in the wet it was very good.

I am sure if you have the time and set up skills then it is a great car but in the end I decided it was just too much like hard work for an average club driver when there are plenty of other cars which were so much easier to get to work consistently. It is also a bit different to most other cars which is why I bought it in the first place.

Rob
Yokomo YZ4 SF2
Old 14-10-2014

Like others have said I too have found the car very durable. I had one of the first kits in the country and its still running strong. I have done front shock towers, front arms and 1 rear arm. They were all in big high impact crashes though and Im sure any car would have broken with that force. I did also initially have problems with the front hinge pins snapping in half on big impact crashes which in the early days created a bit of a headache. I heard the US guys were taking out the grub screws which go through the bulkhead and this was helping. Since I did that I haven't broken another one and with the design of the front end the grub screw is just not needed.

Also the same as many other comments I found the car very difficult to drive on high grip but since the release of the car the UK TLR team have been working hard on addressing this issue. Through the summer the team have tried mods, different parts and different layout ideas and like Fetcher mentioned the car is now very good on high grip. Below is a link to a guide which the UK team have made to talk you through all the mods which the team use on the high grip tracks.

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/autoon...les/index.html
Old 14-10-2014

hello all.

Thanks for all the reply

I ended up buying a 22-4 at jemodels for only £ 248 which I think was a bargain
I have also ordered the TLR 22-4 centerdif conversion kit.
http://www.rcshox.com/tlr-22-4-cente...onversion-kit/

Is there any Option Parts i should buy?

as others in this thread, I also think this model is appealing because it does not look like the other kit's and is made by a different concept time will tell if I can get it to work.

from what I read in this thread, there are some problems with the set-up and that people are staying away from 22-4 because of it and because some of the people who has a 22-4 might not be good enough to share their experience through this page (setup sheet and mods for the kit, etc..) which is a shame for a seemingly delicious platform.

Personally, I can not come up with the big indputs so far, I do not get my 22-4 until later this week and the season here in Denmark are also comming to an end and are yet to order esc, motor, etc..

But it seems to me quite clear that together we should try to wake oople's Team Losi 22-4 thread back to life, we could maybe make a new thread with all the indputs we have done ourselves and those we have picked up elsewhere.
a thread that we can all benefit from and which others can benefit from ..

and make an sticky set-up 22-4 thread.

sorry the long post but it was just my thoughts on this otherwise very attractive site.

Last edited by dMITIj; 14-10-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 14-10-2014

I have broken several front wishbones and front shock towers. In addition the steering horn breaks if you hit something at speed - better than killing the servo but a servo saver would have been a good idea like you get with the Kyosho Lazer.

I have bent a front shock mount pin - but I think this was due to running a graphite shock tower.

I have broken two rear drive shafts (yes two) - but this was due to running the extra wide rear hexes, since taking these off I've had no problems.

The rear wing will tear easily, I have replaced mine twice since February. The front wheel nuts will fall off easily if not tightened down after every race.

The rear diff will likely cause you problems if running on astro. I have burnt one out - due to diff being too loose but the rear diff tends to get gritty using stock parts and stock grease after a very short time frame. If you buy this kit, don't use the Losi grease.

I agree with all the handling problems mentioned earlier. That said, now after considerable time and reading up and extra cash spent, I am happy with the car. It is getting better after I make changes, just don't expect it to perform on high grip tracks out of the box - very far from it, you will need to work at it and spend some money doing so. To be honest, I would buy a Lazer ZX 6 instead of this right now. The extra cash you will need to spend to get the 22-4 to perform will be almost the same cost as a ZX6 kit.

One thing that made a huge difference for me with this car was 2WD front tyres in almost all cases and sway bar front and rear. The 22 2.0 rear end is also highly recommended - but this will cost quite a bit too.

Good luck!

Cheers
Simon