Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 22-12-2011

Default FTX Edge & Vantage Cars

Are they just for bashing/beginners or is there any racing credentials to be found in such cheap cars?
Old 22-12-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Are they just for bashing/beginners or is there any racing credentials to be found in such cheap cars?
The Vantage seems to share some DNA with the LRP Blast BX, with a few revisions and improvements. They certainly look ok for club level.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 22-12-2011

There are a few of these now available, especially 2wd ie, FTX as mentioned, Electrix Boost & now the LRP S10 Twister, all quite similar it seems (eg, all have slippers for example) Only the FTX has turnbuckles, (also has Bottom loading battery) I think the FTX is the only RTR which comes in brushless flavour too.

The Edge has recently been reviewed in a recent (latest) Radio Race Car, they seemed to like it.

Same old problem though, they're good as an introduction to racing but some will argue that your money is better spent on a 'proper' competition based secondhand set up (as well as maybe better availability of spares) if you're looking ahead to when you become quicker/more competitive etc.

http://www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com/
Old 22-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandare View Post
Same old problem though, they're good as an introduction to racing but some will argue that your money is better spent on a 'proper' competition based secondhand set up (as well as maybe better availability of spares) if you're looking ahead to when you become quicker/more competitive etc.
That was my main question, how competitive can they be for a low cost kit, never mind being rtr for that price. Their are quite a few upgrade parts for them, I assume their is no sponsored drivers...

A mate of mines has the LRP blast and it won't make 5 mins before self destructing the steering system.
Old 25-12-2011

Unless i was on a seriously tight budget (if it was so tight i may not be racing anyway tbh) & you want to buy new you could do worse than buying an Ansmann Mad Rat RTR, this will get you going, cheaply, better spares availability & upgrades than the others plus it's 2.4Ghz. Looking at the other makes, either they're not 2.4Ghz, not adjustable suspension or wheels not a common fitment (ie, FTX) etc etc.

That's what i would buy for a start in racing if buying new. I would have suggested the brushless RTR but i think i'd be upgrading even the brushless further so may as well get yourself started for peanuts then go for a better ESC, 7.5/8.5T motor later on.

Dan.

http://www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com/
Old 25-12-2011

I would have to say you can't much wrong than an Ansmann Mad Rat (rear motor) or better still the Mad Monkey (mid motor) - my first car was a 2nd B44 and it was a good intro into RC.

From what I have seen of the FTX cars (and it isn't much) they look too much like toys rather than something that can be tuned and raced even at club level.
Old 13-11-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Quote:
how competitive
It won't be, at all BUT it will be a starter car.

What do you want, budget starter car or somethnig comptitive?

Complete different area's.
Old 06-01-2013

Thought i would add my experiences.

Bought a brushed vantage probably about 5-6 months ago. I bought it for my 5 year old son, to start racing with.

Overall it has been excellent value for money. It was perfect for him to get going and importantly not too much of an outlay if he got bored after a couple of weeks.

Couple of things to bear in mind if thinking about buying to race. You only get a slow charger with the car, so you will need to budget for a basic fast charger. Also you will beed another battery, but tgese are pretty cheap too, about £15'ish for a 3000mAh pack. Other than that you are ready to go.

As he has improved a lot and still loves going. In terms of upgrades, i have done a few things, more recently as he gets better and better. I have put my spare servo in as its a bit quicker than the standard one. Recently i put in a new esc and uprated brushed motor, still quite cheap stuff.

Probably the most impressive thing has been its robustness. After a few months of racing most weeks (indoor on carpet) we have replaced one prop shaft that bent, £2.90, 2 bent shock shafts, £9 for a pair of ready built shocks and springs.

I have thought about at what point i might upgrade him to a more comoetition based car, but to be honest his ability has not exceeded the car yet. I also think i would probaly be paying out more in spares through breakages.

Anyway if anyone has any questions, let me know.
Old 24-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
It won't be, at all BUT it will be a starter car.

What do you want, budget starter car or somethnig comptitive?

Complete different area's.
This is completely correct. .
I bought the vantage buggy off eBay for 99 quid or something about 2 years ago now on an impulse buy..complete with 2.4ght controller etc. My local 1/8th nitro buggy race track closed down.. so I wanted something neighbourhood friendly ..so i went electric for the 1st time ever.
My opinion on the vantage is that it is an excellent introductory car to any budding rc enthusiast. ..It's strong. .easy to fix and a seriously good introduction car ....It handles well and is easily upgradable when the drivers skills requires it ..upgrade the brushed motor. .The speed controller. .The maH batteries. Alloy.hop up parts are cheap aswell..

My verdict is ..

Pro's

This buggy is cheap to buy ..
Cheap to repair
Cheap to upgrade ..better motor. .better esp..faster steering servo + antiroll bars etc..
But don't go brushless with it ..If you need/can handle brushless ..then buy a competitive roller ..or don't even look at this post lol
Old 22-12-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Steven Forster

Quote:
A mate of mine started racing with a FTX Vantage he found that he had problems with drive shafts snapping which seemed to be caused by being brittle, the servo saver kept breaking where the big E-clip sits as the plastic was too soft and im sure the wheels kept braking, there might have been more wrong with it but in the end he kept the electrics and sold it as a rolling chassis and bought a 2nd hand B44................

Ex Club Chairman

Visit our Face Book Page for address and to book in

https://www.facebook.com/groups/289589121226171/

http://www.neamotorsport.co.uk/
Old 10-11-2012
SHRCCC Legend

For what they are they are super quick and n ideal starter car
Old 13-11-2012

My son bought the ftx vantage to get him in to racing and so far its working fine, he is starting to improve and when he brakes it it is cheap to repair. Great car to start with at a fraction of the cost of others
Old 13-11-2012

I race one,and apsrt from changing out the front CVDs to dog bones(the cvds can break) the car has been bullet proof...in fact my spare vantage is in the for sale section as i havnt needed it!!!!