Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 27-03-2008

Default * 501X Front and rear tracktion *

I was at a local track during last weekend and found that my car does not pull allot on the front wheels.

What happened was, I landed a big jump and broke one of the aluminium screws that keep the reaer shock top to the shock tower. This resulted in one of the rear drive shafts coming out of the diff.

I quickly replaced the screw and did not see that the one drive shafts came out, ...
Placed the car on the track again and thats when I noticed the car has almost no pull... on closer inspection I saw what was wrong but kept on trying to drive it like this.

Why is it that my car has almost no pull if the one rear drive shaft is out?
Should the front and rear not has the same amount of pull/ push..?
(plus the front is overdriven, so it should pull more than the rear can push)

Lost, pls assist
Old 27-03-2008

Have you tryed driving a front 2wd ?
They're funny...
This happend to me once on my LST. one of my center bog-bone broke.
I had almost no grip at all...
It's due to the wieght shift during acceleration. the front wheels have a lot less weight on them and you loose all traction.

I don't know how long you dove your car like this... But you might want to rebuild your rear Diff.
Old 27-03-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrokillah View Post
Have you tryed driving a front 2wd ?
They're funny...
This happend to me once on my LST. one of my center bog-bone broke.
I had almost no grip at all...
It's due to the wieght shift during acceleration. the front wheels have a lot less weight on them and you loose all traction.

I don't know how long you dove your car like this... But you might want to rebuild your rear Diff.
No you wont, unless the diffs are not up to the standard. I raced a different make of car recently at a regional and whilst in practice I couldnt figure out why I had issues in and out of the corner. I changed all of my setups, including giving my car to one of my friends who has been in Ttech and is quite experienced in set ups. He changed everything from caster/Camber/Pistons/Oil/Springs/ride height/weight caracteristics/roll bar and wing angle and after four rounds all I made was the C final, even he was baffled at how the cars handling looked just the same as the round before all the changes. It turned out that the one way had died and there was zero power going to the front and all the power went to rear. The diff didnt need a rebuild, and is still running smoothly.

If your UJ was out I would if i were you check that it isnt bent and that the pins that lock into the cup havent been chipped either. If the UJ is bent you can either replace that item or do a Stu wood on it and hammer it flat (he had a half pipe and a hammer and boy did that work well)
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS