Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 28-10-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp102 View Post
This is farcical. So the same governing body has one rule for one lot and another rule for another lot. Surely the least we should hope to expect from the mandarins is consistency across classes?
No, the "governing body" for 1/8th scale is the 1/8th scale racers, the "governing body" for 1/10th off road are the 1/10th off road racers.

The 1/10th scale racers voted amongst themselves at the AGM to use the EB lists of batteries and motors for BRCA sanctioned events.

No 1/8th racer has submitted a proposal that the EB should produce a list of receiver batteries that are homologated, and until someone proposes it there is no way "the BRCA" can make any class insist on using homologated items.

BTW the "mandarins" for 1/10th off road are listed here http://www.brca.org/content/committe...ils-2014/10012
Old 28-10-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luniemiester View Post
... clubs start to lose numbers to the oOoos etc or people just decide to run in the open class instead.
As for clubs, it is entirely down to the individual clubs as to whether they use any or all of the BRCA rules. If clubs did insist on sticking to the full rules then a novice turning up with a basic car with a 540 motor and nimhs wouldn't be allowed to race.

Quote:
I'm also intrigued as they seem to be on a crusade regarding batteries safety etc that in rallyx nationals will they ask for the receiver batteries (Nimh, lipo and life) to be homologated as I don't see a difference between them and lipos (they can still catch fire and explode etc). Same could be said for any gas powered car I suppose.
That depends entirely on whether a member submits a proposal at the next AGM to insist all receiver batteries are checked, and the majority of racers at the AGM vote for it.

If you think there's a safety concern and fellow racers should be protected, then put in a proposal next year.
Old 28-10-2014

All this battery talk ; ( what about the ridiculous track proposals were they shot down ?
Liars run for cover the truth is taking over!!!
Old 28-10-2014

Been reading this thread with popcorn in hand, and I see a few issues that the hierarchy are failing to take into account...

1. 99% of people are club racers, and not that serious they would drive 200 miles to the AGM.
2. The AGM takes place once per year and is attended by 20 people or so.
3. These 20 people decide the rules which all BRCA affiliated clubs have to attempt to abide by
4. Mark Christopher's grammar is really bad sometimes and makes my face twitch
5. If everyone decided to turn up, would the venue really be able to support 3-4000 people arriving?

These points taken into account, the only way to get a consensus of what the racing public want as a whole is to put this online (...and give Mark more lessons in the English language)

You cannot base the opinions of the whole racing populous on the opinions of 20 people who decide they have the time and money to show up once a year to some far flung place and act like its a democratic process. It isn't. Its like doing the polls for the general election of the UK government in Lebanon and asking people to go and vote. Ridiculous.

I'm not saying that the Cells list is unreasonable, I think safety is very important, I'm not saying the track width proposal is correct either, but having the rules decided by people who live nearby or have nothing better to do than drive 200 miles one day purely to support a motion is pants-on-head retarded.

Wake up and smell technology for the love of god. All of this bickering and whining could be solved with a few simple polls put on the BRCA website.

1. Do you agree with the motion listed here? (Imagine the "here" is a link to a proposal) 3 buttons "Yes" "No" "I don't give a shit its about Bouring Cars"

Easy mode.

Make it happen or next year there will be a proposal to get the AGM voting shit online and I guarantee a pub wouldn't be a big enough venue, you'd need to hire out Twickenham to get everyone in for that motion.

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 28-10-2014
Mad Member

Lots of good replys and some stupid ones.

I think the key thing is the BRCA make rules to help racing.

If you are one of the ones buying from HK and not paying import duty then you dont care about the rules.

Therefore any one asking for non homologated Lipos to be allowed at racing should not be allowed an opinion on the subject, and reported to the authority's immediately.

Let see who posts about HK Lipos now? I will make a note and call the good people at customs!

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 28-10-2014

Well said and how many of those people voting are selling the batteries? All my hobbyking products come from a uk warehouse. Apparently one isn't enough for our vast country.
Old 28-10-2014
Mad Member

Please give full name Daz as customs will want to know. hope they are checking whether the UK warehouse is actually in UK!!

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 28-10-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC199 View Post
Been reading this thread with popcorn in hand, and I see a few issues that the hierarchy are failing to take into account...

1. 99% of people are club racers, and not that serious they would drive 200 miles to the AGM.
2. The AGM takes place once per year and is attended by 20 people or so.
3. These 20 people decide the rules which all BRCA affiliated clubs have to attempt to abide by
4. Mark Christopher's grammar is really bad sometimes and makes my face twitch
5. If everyone decided to turn up, would the venue really be able to support 3-4000 people arriving?

These points taken into account, the only way to get a consensus of what the racing public want as a whole is to put this online (...and give Mark more lessons in the English language)

You cannot base the opinions of the whole racing populous on the opinions of 20 people who decide they have the time and money to show up once a year to some far flung place and act like its a democratic process. It isn't. Its like doing the polls for the general election of the UK government in Lebanon and asking people to go and vote. Ridiculous.

I'm not saying that the Cells list is unreasonable, I think safety is very important, I'm not saying the track width proposal is correct either, but having the rules decided by people who live nearby or have nothing better to do than drive 200 miles one day purely to support a motion is pants-on-head retarded.

Wake up and smell technology for the love of god. All of this bickering and whining could be solved with a few simple polls put on the BRCA website.

1. Do you agree with the motion listed here? (Imagine the "here" is a link to a proposal) 3 buttons "Yes" "No" "I don't give a shit its about Bouring Cars"

Easy mode.

Make it happen or next year there will be a proposal to get the AGM voting shit online and I guarantee a pub wouldn't be a big enough venue, you'd need to hire out Twickenham to get everyone in for that motion.

Bit personal, sorry for my dyslexia.
Old 28-10-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Skull View Post
Please give full name Daz as customs will want to know. hope they are checking whether the UK warehouse is actually in UK!!
The UK Warehouse is in the UK, their details are
Lucky Stuff Ltd
18 Elmsett Airfield
Elmsett
Ipswich
Suffolk
IP7 6LN
While technically it's just an import warehouse that distributes product in the UK, it is part owned by the owner of Hobbyking. If products are already in the UK then the customs paperwork and any duty owing should already be paid.
Old 28-10-2014

Quote:
Fantastic!

Somebody has finally twigged it - Yahoo

So a proposal to change the voting process is Guaranteed to happen - as the officials CANT JUST MAKE IT HAPPEN (you'd know this is you'd read the posts but we'll let you off as it's into 3 figures now) as they are bound by the rules the members vote in - the haven't the authority to change the voting process.

Well volunteered that man - looking forward to finally seeing somebody get this proposal in - oddly we're at Gaydon next year and that's huge!
Old 28-10-2014

So I can't have an opinion without being called a criminal ha. Hobbyking have a open day event every year where you can go along and use your planes cars etc and Im sure see their products.
Old 28-10-2014
Mad Member

Quote:

For all club racers none of the rules for BRCA sanctioned events affect them. If you are just club racing then the only rules you have to follow are the ones the club chooses to use. If your club insists on only using batteries on the list, then that is the club members choice as the BRCA has no control over the clubs.

Quote:
If you are racing at national level, then going to the AGM is nothing compared to spending a weekend at a race meeting. It was in Nuneaton, not exactly the middle of nowhere and for most the cost of fuel for that trip is less than what many racers will spend on the latest chassis or ESC.

Quote:

Easy mode.

Try reading the constitution in your BRCA handbook, or download it from the BRCA website if you don't have it. What would online polls do, apart from give people another opportunity to whine about rules.

If you want to change the constitution to allow online voting then the only option is to put in a proposal and get it voted in at the AGM. Every year someone moans about online voting, but even though it's pointed out year after year no one goes ahead and puts in a proposal. Considering how many people on here complain about the rules every year after the AGM, none of them actually go to the AGM to have some say in any rule changes.

As for the size of venue, the AGM is booked into a school or college with more than enough room if everyone did actually turn up. They would be more than welcome as it is disappointing how few actually feel some responsibility towards r/c racing in the UK.
Old 28-10-2014

Im one of the (mandarins) that went to the meeting and did 300 miles up and back to middle earth or Nuneaton as some call it ! So did I go because I had nothing better to do??? I had plenty of better things to do than get up at 730 am to drive to a meeting to talk about Toy cars !!! But I have a real passion for these little cars and no offence I have seen my fair share of racing and racers having grown up in Southern California in the 80s and 90s I got to go racing with the likes of Cliff Lett Jay Halsey and Rick Howart and the late great Mike Reedy in my 20 odd years of racing on and off I think I know what I'm on about! I was also Chariman of TRCCC when the euros were last held in this country so have even given back to the hobby! I went because rather than be a Zulu Warrior on this site I went to have my say? I even asked if there was anything my region would like to propose or change so to give a say to as many as I could. So its great to see what people really think off us that want to make a change and make the effort! and for the record I don't sell batterys !!!!!!!!!!! but still think there has to be rules to cover the safety of all involved. Just my five pence worth !!!!
Old 28-10-2014

This is what I dont understand about committee controlled organisations. Always, everytime something comes up, you always get the "we cant just do anything". Its stupid. You're not changing the way things are enacted, you are just making it easier for other people to have their say if their lives mean they cant get to the AGM. Does this really need a motion? I seriously doubt anyone with the best interests of the sport at heart would object to the rest of the members being able to have a say without being forced to travel 300 miles like Mr Mowen208fly did.

I honestly have no idea who half of the people you're talking about Mr Mowen208fly, nor honestly do I have a clue who you are, but its good that you're willing to take the views of your "constituents" to the AGM, the rest of us "Zulu warriors" (epic film) don't have anyone to do that for us. We would all have to drive there, at our own cost much the same as you did. I don't have the time to spend a day away from my 9 month pregnant wife, or the 300 kids I teach 5 days a week. I barely have the time to race.

Terry, again, apologies have no clue who you are either, but I'm sure you're real important to be talking down to us all in the way you are.

Putting things online allows people to not have to go to the AGM to have a voice. It allows the masses to have a voice without spending time away from wives, husbands, kids etc. It allows people to have a voice without spending ludicrous amounts of cash on a meeting, food and drink. Its a logical step rather than the laws be decided by 20 blokes at a meeting the vast majority of members cannot afford the time or money to attend.

Does this really, and I do mean really need to go to a vote or can common sense prevail in a committee for once in the history of the world?

Oh, Mark, its called humour, look it up in a dictionary, I was trying to lighten the mood a little and figured you had a sense of humour...

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 28-10-2014
Banned

I dont understand why the battery rule is applicable to the 1/10 section and not to the 1/8th section. Maybe it is because they are more manly?
Old 28-10-2014
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Dear God, man...
Simply because the 1/8 people have decided not to use it.
If the 1/10 people decided not to use it (at the AGM) then the 1/10th wouldn't use it either.
Simple as that.
Old 28-10-2014

It does all seem a little strange that others (if I'm reading it right, Micros & 1/8ths) can run whatever batteries they like but we're still stuck.

I dont want to sound like a keyboard warrior but it seems like the guys who go upto the AGM's for 'us' are the types who are happy to spend top whack on RC Gear so keeping the batteries the same makes no difference to them. I know everyone can go, but I'm not exactly a hardcore racer, I'm just a casual Sunday racer so wouldn't take to take a 400mile round trip for a meeting. I also assume that the 20 people who turned up were not all 1/10 guys, so chances are only a few were deciding our fates for the year.

RC for me is cheap fun, I don't want to be spending £40-80 per battery when I can get perfectly good ones for £20, all my kit is budget. If I had to spend top whack for everything, then quite simply, I wouldn't be racing.

As suggested, in this day and age, the BRCA really should open it up to every BRCA member via the web, not a AGM in one location. Easy to setup, you could even do it through a simple questionnaire.
Old 28-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaMight View Post
It does all seem a little strange that others (if I'm reading it right, Micros & 1/8ths) can run whatever batteries they like but we're still stuck.

I dont want to sound like a keyboard warrior but it seems like the guys who go upto the AGM's for 'us' are the types who are happy to spend top whack on RC Gear so keeping the batteries the same makes no difference to them. I know everyone can go, but I'm not exactly a hardcore racer, I'm just a casual Sunday racer so wouldn't take to take a 400mile round trip for a meeting. I also assume that the 20 people who turned up were not all 1/10 guys, so chances are only a few were deciding our fates for the year.

RC for me is cheap fun, I don't want to be spending £40-80 per battery when I can get perfectly good ones for £20, all my kit is budget. If I had to spend top whack for everything, then quite simply, I wouldn't be racing.

As suggested, in this day and age, the BRCA really should open it up to every BRCA member via the web, not a AGM in one location. Easy to setup, you could even do it through a simple questionnaire.
All 20 that turned up were 1/10th guys so again amazing assumption !!
Old 28-10-2014
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to matdodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp102 View Post
I dont understand why the battery rule is applicable to the 1/10 section and not to the 1/8th section. Maybe it is because they are more manly?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sextuple_facepalm.jpg (13.9 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by Col; 28-10-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 28-10-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaMight View Post

Hear hear. Or the the other conclusion is that the BRCA fosters elitism, because competition is excluded for lack of the accepted equipment, even though it is fit for purpose. So which is worse? The risk of loosing ones hand and not being able to get 30 grand for it or elitism?