Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Tom3012

Even i want to try one now

Make your own 2WD Chris?

Atomic Carbon S2, S44, Vega B4.1

Trader feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19374
Old 26-01-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hey id love to, and I would if I had the time and the tools. But im looking forward to the rumoured Schumacher 2wd (which I know nothing more about than the rumour before anyone asks). Infact, id run a D2 and think i would be already if they were available.
Old 26-01-2009
Mad Member

chris / northy

i've just bought a second hand one if either of you want to borrow mine at the next round of bury 15th feb or the next worksop meeting your than welcome to

paul

Trader feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25152
Old 26-01-2009
Mad Member

Standard kit suffers from understeer and worlds kit suffers from no rear grip, in my opinion.

if your good enough to tweak the setup and balance the 2 issues then it has potential.

If you get bored after 5 minutes like me, then get an X6. (sorry Chris couldnt resist)
Old 26-01-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hey the X-6 is the best 2wd out there and the squared looks even better! so its a good suggestion. I just needed a change.
Old 26-01-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePimlott View Post
Standard kit suffers from understeer and worlds kit suffers from no rear grip, in my opinion.

if your good enough to tweak the setup and balance the 2 issues then it has potential.

If you get bored after 5 minutes like me, then get an X6. (sorry Chris couldnt resist)
I quite agree with that. Best my RB5 has been was Worksop round 2 when i swapped to the new rear end, the car was really good and I even managed to get 2 top 10 rounds (not enough for an A but top of B). I was still running my very old 3700s back then and the switch to the new rear end made the car rotate in the slow corners and stopped it sliding in the fast seeepers.

Then I went to Lipo and since then I've been struggling big time. This week end I started with no rear end grip and finished with no steering. I've added 100+g to the car so the car's not too light anymore.

As I said I'm waiting for a reply from the guys at Kyosho USA, sent them my setup for both cars and a description of the handling, we'll see what they come up with, but at the moment I'm thinking that the car may just not suit my driving at all. I like a car with a lot of steering but I don't seem to find a good combination of lateral grip and steering. If I have grip I don't steer, if I have steering I have no grip.
Old 26-01-2009
Mad Member

Have just switched from B4 to RB5 and had mixed results. I think the B4 is slightly better and quicker indoors but its outdoors that counts and from what ive seen the RB5 is a much more stable car on a bumpy track and can be pushed harder when there is high grip ie grass, astro. I think it just struggles on the low grip surface like at worksop. Mine was good at Bury where there is more grip and is no better or no worse at broxtowe than my B4. I just cant wait to try it outdoors now though...Im sooooo fed up of this indoor stuff...
Old 26-01-2009

I would just like to add my 2cents to this and say that the RB5 is a wonderful car to drive, as RogerM said it's like the B4 steering and the forward traction out of corners is Immence. BUT the one thing i noticed with the kit set-up is the amount of bump out it has so i set mine up with 0 bump, 1mm under outer steering ballstud instead of three and the car was transformed and was 1sec + faster per lap and alot more 'even' in and out of corners and with excellent on-off throttle/steering control if you know what i mean. GET ONE you won't regret it
Kyosho RB 6.7
MB MODELS www.rccarshop.co.uk
www.ghostrc.co.uk
Old 26-01-2009
Mad Member

Have to say, the RB5 was great at the Petit RC when there was a lot of grip. But I mostly race buggies indoors, for now, and can't find a balance that suits me.
Old 26-01-2009
Woop Woop Member

looks like you 2 are having the same dilemma i had about 4 months ago,

having not gotten on with my b4 but loving the x6 to bits i found the thought of trying a rear motored car again to be almost total madness but a local racer asked me for a bit of help setting up his original rb5 over a year ago and the idea of trying one has nagged at me since then so i decided to bite the bullet for the winter knowing i can always grab a last minute x6 if i didnt like the car. having said all that and still with limited running i can honestly say i havent looked back since i got the car. i ignored what most people said with the problems between old and new rear ends as was told that if you run the old rear end you have to add 30+g as far forwards as possible but dont use the new rear end as it takes all the grip away when you have the extra weight up front. personally i didnt add the weight on the nose and got the new rear end. i have 10g on the servo to stop the car wheelying and have found the rb5 to be as safe as the x6 to drive but with more mid corner pivot or rather a more predictable pivot with a slight push when giving it large out of a corner. i have set the car just above the min weight limit and it feels light supple and alive to drive and returns good lap times for me.

the car is unbelivably strong so far even without hopups and spares are nice and cheap as well. im gonna treat it to alloy hinge pin blocks and AC shock towers soon but that is all

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline
Old 26-01-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Have you run the RB5 outdoors Nathan? How is it there?

When I had a Yokomo MR4-BC, it was awsome indoors, and as the outdoor season came I started off practicing at Bury on my own and it felt ace. But then when I was at a race meeting, I realised that at its limit it was actually far slower per lap than it felt compared to what others were doing.

Anyway, I forgot the point to that but ive typed it. Oh, what I think I was getting at, is does the balance and laps it achieves on the flat stuff transfer to oudoor stuff? I know Big Hans can get it going really quick around Southport (with only air in the shocks sometimes!!!)

Chris
Old 26-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
Have you run the RB5 outdoors Nathan? How is it there?

When I had a Yokomo MR4-BC, it was awsome indoors, and as the outdoor season came I started off practicing at Bury on my own and it felt ace. But then when I was at a race meeting, I realised that at its limit it was actually far slower per lap than it felt compared to what others were doing.

Anyway, I forgot the point to that but ive typed it. Oh, what I think I was getting at, is does the balance and laps it achieves on the flat stuff transfer to oudoor stuff? I know Big Hans can get it going really quick around Southport (with only air in the shocks sometimes!!!)

Chris
Chris, the RB is good indoors but it really comes into its own out doors, thats where its best!!
Old 26-01-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

this thread is magic. I ran the BR5 for 18 months and no one wanted to know the car (except Woody). Now i've moved on from it and everyone is jumping on board! lol

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 26-01-2009

Default rb5

had mine from day one.mainly used outdoors, never clean it or adjust anything and it just keeps going.cant see why any problems with grip in slippy conditions outdoors.spares were cheap,but very rarely needed.thanks jez.
Old 27-01-2009
Woop Woop Member

have run it at stotfold before i got the longer rear shock shafts and it struggled with lack of rear droop over the jumps but was composed at all other times. i now have the longer rear shafts so will be going there in 3 weekends time as have the 24hr and belgium to race at first

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline
Old 27-01-2009
Mad Member

Apparently we're running the car way too stiff. That's what I was told anyway.
Old 27-01-2009

funny .. no one has mentioned the rb5 shocks - 1 of the best, if not THE best out there!!
Old 27-01-2009
Mad Member

Yes defo one of the strongest points of the car.
Old 27-01-2009

After running the car last season the key areas where the RB5 fairs better than the B4 are no doubt- over all build quality, strength, stability & handling. It is more of a consistant & predictable car and is also easier to work on.

Both the RB5 & B4 are nimble, offer a lot of turn in and are easy to set up but the RB5 ticks many more boxes.

Of course the one big box the B4 ticks is history & results to date but this doesn't make it the best car. The RB5 is the better car!
Old 27-01-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Que Tebo and a worlds win ......... maybe!