Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > North East

Old 29-04-2011
Mad Member

Inside but I strongly advise to bring something warm to wear, really good surface to race on, not lots of grip but it's the same for everybody! Can't wait....hoPe I get an entry!!!!
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 29-04-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Steven Forster
Default New Charger and New Lipos, How to charge safely ???

Well got my saddle Lipos yesterday so what to do now ???

Do's and Dont's for charging

Ive got 4 x 3.7v / 2 x 7.4v 5400mah 60c Intellect battery packs and a new Core-RC UAC40 Lipo charger..........

I take it that each separate 3.7v pack is classed as a 1S pack but 2 packs in series gives you 7.4v and then classed as a 2S pack

I know my 1C charge rate is 5.4amps and will take 1hr to charge or can charge at less amps and will take longer to charge...........

Should i balance charge the saddles in series as a 2S pack for the first charge and /or everytime

What is the safe minimum voltage to stop over discharging for safety, is that a ESC setting

What is the safe maximum voltage setting for charging as a 2S pack

I havnt got a lipo sack yet but was going to use an old metal biscuit tin

Anything else i need to know

Sorry if these questions sound dumb, ive just heard and seen loads of stories regarding lipo fires mainly due to wrong voltage/charging settings

cheers all you very nice OOPLE users
Old 29-04-2011
Mad Member

Don't worry yourself too much about lipos, I havent seen much go wrong with them however you should still respect the danger possible!
You might be able to get a lipo sack ordered to arrive before next weekend, I'm not sure if it's compulsory at regionals, I would hope so as it is at the national series!
Your cells may take an hour from zero however you don't want to let your cells get that low so in effect you just need to top your cells up after each run.
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 29-04-2011

Send a message via MSN to baD Send a message via Skype™ to baD

LiPo packs (2cell) should be at 6v when purchased - I think - and should never be discharged below 6v - so time for a full charge is well under an hour.

I would like to see LiPo sacks used by everyone at this Regional - it's not too much to ask for a bit of increased safety and recommended by the BRCA for every club meeting.
Old 30-04-2011

240v or good old battery ?
Old 30-04-2011

I would like to see LiPo sacks used by everyone at this Regional - it's not too much to ask for a bit of increased safety and recommended by the BRCA for every club meeting.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that at Nationals - anyone not charging in a lipo bag will be disqualified from racing. All clubs have been asked to ensure that everyone uses a lipo bag - how strictly will this be policed at regional meetings?
Old 30-04-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

@ Dexter24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter24 View Post
I take it that each separate 3.7v pack is classed as a 1S pack but 2 packs in series gives you 7.4v and then classed as a 2S pack

I know my 1C charge rate is 5.4amps and will take 1hr to charge or can charge at less amps and will take longer to charge...........
Correct on all the above

Quote:
Should i balance charge the saddles in series as a 2S pack for the first charge and /or everytime
Common practice is to balanace charge each time because LiPo chargers can do that. Have mine hooked up each time but I do stop the charge when I see the charge amps start to drop away if the volatages are very close. I don't think the xtra time finishing the balance off gives any real advange unless the cells were miles apart in

Quote:
What is the safe minimum voltage to stop over discharging for safety,
3v is safe but higher is safer.

Quote:
is that a ESC setting
Your A.I. Brushless Pro has the following for voltage cut-off

AutoCell System: Ready for the next battery technology – LiPo batteries!
LRP’s exclusive and smart AutoCell System ensures that LiPo batteries can be used safely without accidentially deep-discharging of the cells. The motor function will be shut-off and the LED will flash if the system recognises very low battery voltage.

If you feel the car slowing just stop and go pick it up.

Quote:
What is the safe maximum voltage setting for charging as a 2S pack

8.4v is the MAX voltage cut off for LiPo. At 12th Scale UK nationals I know they do a volatage check and anyone over the max charge voltage isn't allowed to race. They have to drop the voltage by discharging the battery a little before it can be used.
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 30-04-2011

Default LiPo & Power supply information

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneH View Post
My understanding is that at Nationals - anyone not charging in a lipo bag will be disqualified from racing. All clubs have been asked to ensure that everyone uses a lipo bag - how strictly will this be policed at regional meetings?
At the first Regional - Netherton Park Stannington - the rule WILL be enforced.

It should be self policing as all drivers will be asked to inform the Race Director of any person not complying.
That person will be asked to leave the competition or take their equipment 100yds down the private entrance road and charge there, alone, at the same time being advised they will be held personally responsible for any damage to tarmac road or surrounding natural vegetation.

POWER Supply
At this venue, although indoors, there is very limited 240v mains supply, essentially only for Race Control.
Leisure Batteries should be transported & kept with suitable containers.
Generators will be placed outside the main entrance door and therefore users are advised to bring the longest extension cable they have - others should bring extensions so that they can share generators with friends if possible.
Old 30-04-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baD View Post
At the first Regional - Netherton Park Stannington - the rule WILL be enforced.

It should be self policing as all drivers will be asked to inform the Race Director of any person not complying.
That person will be asked to leave the competition or take their equipment 100yds down the private entrance road and charge there, alone, at the same time being advised they will be held personally responsible for any damage to tarmac road or surrounding natural vegetation.

POWER Supply
At this venue, although indoors, there is very limited 240v mains supply, essentially only for Race Control.
Leisure Batteries should be transported & kept with suitable containers.
Generators will be placed outside the main entrance door and therefore users are advised to bring the longest extension cable they have - others should bring extensions so that they can share generators with friends if possible.

Hmmm, might have a problem with using a Lipo sack as when i put my saddles on charge for the first time i noticed that my balance plug/wire is really short and dont think it will get anywhere near never mind inside a Lipo sack , Also regarding power supply i havnt got a leisure battery only car 12v battery "under the bonnet" so hopefully i will be able to hook an extension up to a generator or 240v supply

Anybody know where i can get any balance plugs/wires from as it might be easier for me to make my own battery balance wires

cheers
Old 01-05-2011

2wd Front & Rear Tyres
which ones to use for this event?
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

Old 01-05-2011

I been told 2 options :-

Yellow mini spikes all round or

Yellow mini spikes rear and the ribbed kit tyres from a B4 (Proline i think)
Old 01-05-2011
Mad Member

Agreed , lipo sacks should be enforced. And keep an eye on those ventilation holes in your shell .... I think its 10mm max in any direction now .
Old 01-05-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispattinson View Post
Agreed , lipo sacks should be enforced. And keep an eye on those ventilation holes in your shell .... I think its 10mm max in any direction now .
Will any Lipo sack be ok or do they also have to be BRCA approved ???

Also regarding holes, if your holes in shell are bigger than 10mm can you cover them up ???

cheers
Old 01-05-2011

Quote:
Will any Lipo sack be ok or do they also have to be BRCA approved ???

Also regarding holes, if your holes in shell are bigger than 10mm can you cover them up ???

cheers
LiPo Sack
as long as it's fit for purpose it's OK. No BRCA list for these

Holes
tape them up (duct tape)
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

Old 01-05-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chequered Flag Racing View Post
Mamba Max because it's unsensored and prone to cogging the motor (motor stutter's when you want to drive slowly)

LRP AI reverse Pro (sensored) better but only just as it has a 8.5t motor limit. Wire it up with the LRP Eraser 9.5T brushless

Spur if it's kit will be 81. Would need something like a 26/27t pinion on it with smaller spur, say 72/74/76 to get somewere near the gearing for the motor. I did run a 10.5T on close to that but it was a while back now. Need a smaller spur as I don't think the 26/27 & 81 can be meshed as the motor won't go far enough back. Can check but it'll be Friday before I can.
Will it be ok for me to use the LRP esc with it having reverse I dont think reverse can be disabled on it

Will get myself some spur and pinion gears so ive got a selection to hopefully get the gearing right

cheers
Old 01-05-2011

Quote:
Will it be ok for me to use the LRP esc with it having reverse I dont think reverse can be disabled on it
doesn't say anything about it here
http://www.brca.org/sites/default/fi...off%20road.pdf

but you may get a penalty if your seen to reverse into someone whilst rejoining the track
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

Old 01-05-2011

Default Rules

The following rules will be applied at all NE Regioanls

Re holes in shell - section rule 23.14 applies - you can tape over them.
23.14. Body shell holes/vents: The front and rear ends of the shell must retain some of the
original profile of the two ends of the shell. Front and rear facing areas within the body shell
surface which are 'marked' with the intention of removal to form ”air scoops/ vents“ are allowed
to be removed, within a maximum dimension of 10mm in any direction regardless of the manufacturers marking. If no ”marked“ air scoops/vents are designed in the original mould to assist airflow to the motor or ESC, then material may be removed to a maximum of 10 mm. in any direction within a maximum square area of developed size 30 mm x 30 mm, in two places
only. Windows are not allowed to be removed or include holes, other than for the purpose of the antenna.

Lipo's - must be charged in sac - Sac is any advertised and sold for this purpose and obtained from a known UK source or EU distributor as they then take on the 'product liability'.

Charging cells - power supply
Just the same for all other outdoor regionals this year, competitors will be able to charge cells from their own 1:1 car battery in situ - again if a Lipo sac is not used then the charging will need to take place quite some distance away (down the driveway) so that no other people are around. Please inform the Race Director if this is the case.
Old 01-05-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chequered Flag Racing View Post
doesn't say anything about it here
http://www.brca.org/sites/default/fi...off%20road.pdf

but you may get a penalty if your seen to reverse into someone whilst rejoining the track
Quote:
Originally Posted by baD View Post
The following rules will be applied at all NE Regioanls

Re holes in shell - section rule 23.14 applies - you can tape over them.
23.14. Body shell holes/vents: The front and rear ends of the shell must retain some of the
original profile of the two ends of the shell. Front and rear facing areas within the body shell
surface which are 'marked' with the intention of removal to form ”air scoops/ vents“ are allowed
to be removed, within a maximum dimension of 10mm in any direction regardless of the manufacturers marking. If no ”marked“ air scoops/vents are designed in the original mould to assist airflow to the motor or ESC, then material may be removed to a maximum of 10 mm. in any direction within a maximum square area of developed size 30 mm x 30 mm, in two places
only. Windows are not allowed to be removed or include holes, other than for the purpose of the antenna.

Lipo's - must be charged in sac - Sac is any advertised and sold for this purpose and obtained from a known UK source or EU distributor as they then take on the 'product liability'.

Charging cells - power supply
Just the same for all other outdoor regionals this year, competitors will be able to charge cells from their own 1:1 car battery in situ - again if a Lipo sac is not used then the charging will need to take place quite some distance away (down the driveway) so that no other people are around. Please inform the Race Director if this is the case.
thanks for that, Will get the hole taped up !!!

Ive got a 20cm long 2s balance lead on order from good old FLEABAY which sholud let me put saddles in a lipo sack which ive just also put an order in for, and since i can pop the bonnet and use my 1:1 car battery then that will do me
Old 02-05-2011

Quote:
thanks for that, Will get the hole taped up !!!

Ive got a 20cm long 2s balance lead on order from good old FLEABAY which sholud let me put saddles in a lipo sack which ive just also put an order in for, and since i can pop the bonnet and use my 1:1 car battery then that will do me
The message is clear - Be there, but be safe

There are plenty of guys around who'll help out, but best option is being prepared.
Old 02-05-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispattinson View Post
The pre mounts will fit front and rear. But I've seen the pre mounted ones come off ..... best to glue them yourself.
Do you know the part numbers for these that will fit a B4 ???

cheers