Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 28-03-2017

Smile My first Vintage Schumacher Cat!

Hello Vintage community,

While i still serch for some parts for my Yokomo YZ-10's, i found this BossCat and i could not resist!
I'm quit excited, as i always wanted a schumacher 4wd back in the days and now i've got one on my way, with quit allot of spare parts, fully loaded with vintage electrics and a spare chassis as well.

So my question to you is, as i dont know the vintage schumacher cars that well, what version of a Bosscat do i get here?

i for sure will need some parts, as there is no body shell, undertray and wing coming with it, but first i have to get it and than start to disassamble it and give it a good clean.

I'm looking forward to get it in my hands and hope, i can get some answers from you, when i do the built, after a nice clean...

Thanks in advance
Mike

Pictures are from the seller!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BossCat_1.jpg (824.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg BossCat_2.jpg (1.07 MB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg BossCat_3.jpg (1.11 MB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg BossCat_4.jpg (1.03 MB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg BossCat_5.jpg (821.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg BossCat_6.jpg (923.7 KB, 84 views)

My cars:
CatK2/CougarSVR/BossCat/Dex410v3/Dex410v5/Dex210/Dex210F/Yokomo yz-10‘94/Yokomo yz-10‘95/

Last edited by micholix; 28-03-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 28-03-2017
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

What you have there is a Bosscat team. In your spares, you have the Works side plates (same but purple) and the works (pro) shocks.

Looks like a tidy car, with quite a few good and a few sought after spares.

I recently bought a Bosscat as well! Penguin shells look pretty decent. I've got one, but haven't cut it out / mounted it yet, but the Cat EC one that I have mounted seems good.
Old 28-03-2017

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your fast reply and the infos!
Do you know what chassis the spare one is, it seems like a hop up, or aftermarket part?

Edit: do you have a web page for the penguin shells, please?

My cars:
CatK2/CougarSVR/BossCat/Dex410v3/Dex410v5/Dex210/Dex210F/Yokomo yz-10‘94/Yokomo yz-10‘95/

Last edited by micholix; 28-03-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 28-03-2017

Yep, looks like a BossCat Works. That spare chassis-I wouldn't use it! Never seen one before and it looks like there's not much material on it!

I traded my BossCat for a Predator back in the day-regret it now!
LayDown
BossCat inbound...
Old 28-03-2017
Super Moderator

Team car for sure
Very nice find, looks like a spare pro rear diff, alloy z bracket, slipper set & works motor plates in the spares if you wish to let the z bracket go let me know as been after one for a while now
Best repro shell out there is indeed from penguin shells, the team bluegroove one is way to narrow & not a good fit at all, shell set available here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schumacher...8AAOSwd4tUDfTW

If you need any more help with it when it arrives feel free to pm me
Old 28-03-2017
Mad Member

I actually don't recognise the spare chassis. Schumacher did 2 option chassis. There was a "USA nats" chassis, which just moved the cells, and an "Asymmetric" chassis that moved the Right side saddle on an angle - that also had a lot of cut outs in it.

Yours looks to be conventional cell positioning, but with cut outs. So no idea what it is!!

I have an alloy Z bracket on my works, but it's got stripped holes My Procat has a good alloy Z bracket though
Old 29-03-2017

Thanks guys for all that infos and the link to the penguin repro shells!
Great, as i do need another body and undertray for my yz-10 as well, so i can do a combinated order than!

Gainsy: i'll look what i get and let you know, if i can spare the aloy z bracket, or any other part.

MattW: if you have a striped thread in your z bracket and there is enought material, you could use a thread insert, like in the picture.
I use some of this with good success.
For example, for a new M3 thread you have to put a M5 thread in the material and than screw the insert with some threadlock in it and you have a perfect new M3 thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (126.7 KB, 8 views)

My cars:

Last edited by micholix; 29-03-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Old 29-03-2017
Super Moderator

Never knew about the thread inserts so that's great info
Cheers about the z bracket, see what arrives & if your happy to let it go pm me anytime
Looking forward to seeing another bosscat refurbed & race ready
Old 29-03-2017
Awesome Admin

Here's one I picked up recently from Moozo and it's got the asymmetric chassis not sure where yours is from maybe Euro Composits.

Stu you can get what's known as helicoils here not sure what size they go down to though, I had the put one in my cylinder head on my car when I changed my exhaust manifold cus one of the threads stripped.

Last edited by Peakey; 29-03-2017 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Forgot photo
Old 29-03-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakey View Post
Stu you can get what's known as helicoils here not sure what size they go down to though.
They definitely go down as far as M3 I've done a few motor cans with them.
----AE B4 ft----Xfactory X6^----DEX210 V1----
----TLR22 3.0----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0----TLR22 5.0AC----
----AE B6.4----
Old 29-03-2017
Mad Member

You can get M3 Helicoils, I was planning to look at that for my dodgy Z bracket, but haven't had chance to look at the Bosscat since it arrived.

I always thought that Asymmetric chassis looked proper cool back in the day!
Old 29-03-2017

Justin, you are absolutly right, Helicoil is also common here in austria too, it looks more like a spring thing, rather than those thread inserts, but works like the same!
Nice finde too...

Parcel should arrive tomorrow, or latest on frieday, i'll post some pics when i get the bosscat and parts, may i can ask the previus owner, if he knowes from witch factory the other chassis is!?

Thanks all for your help.

Mike

My cars:

Last edited by micholix; 29-03-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-04-2017

Allright, i disassambled the BossCat at the weekend, it looked well maintainced, it had just dirt at the outside, the diffs, belts, and the hole driveline looks like almost new parts, so i just cleaned and relubed the diffs and started assambling the car already!
There where some nice parts on the car, like a red anodiced Motor heat sink and a machined delrin top shaft and the previus owner did some mods at the steering links, i guess it is to reduce, or gain bump steer!?
the spur gear was directly mounted on a delrin disc too, do you know, if this assambly where an original, or after market part?

here are some pictures from a fiew parts, more to follow(sorry for the bad pics, i took them with my old cell phone...)

the extra set of pro/works shocks and spare shock bodys are almost new too, on the shock assambly are small springs fitted, Looks like a Kind of touring use, or somthing like that?

Edit: sorry for pictures upside down, on my pc they are in the correct direction!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MyBossCat_05.jpg (180.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg MyBossCat_03.jpg (252.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg MyBossCat_08.jpg (176.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg MyBossCat_09.jpg (205.3 KB, 13 views)

My cars:

Last edited by micholix; 03-04-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-04-2017
Mad Member

That layshaft assembly is from Model Motor sport. It was "technically" a Procat hop up. The downside being that you've lost the slipper clutch that the Bosscat should have had.
Old 03-04-2017
Awesome Admin

Like matt said the layshaft is a MMS one you should have a full slipper on that looks like you've got the plates in the bag T823RA you just need to look through the rest of your parts for the slipper shaft.
The trans housing looks like a GPM one too but a good part to have. Looks like the start of a great car.
Old 03-04-2017

Hi Matt and Justin,

Thanks for the infos, as you sayed model motor sport, you are right, as when i had a look through the manual, there was a sheet in there from MMS, but i did not look over it carfully, so this should be the mountig instruction for that layshaft?

I do have a new slipper kit and also a new topshaft puley kit and put them already in.

I'll post some pics in the next couple of days, how it looks like atm

I'm not sure, if i should use the new spare chassis, with all that cutouts, as the original does show some brakege at the battery mounting holes and the previus owner drilled some new holes in the chassis?

One more question, there is a new works rear end kit #T5064N comming along with the spare parts, but the rear a arms look compleatly different to that one on the car, also are wider, so i'll get a much wider car at the rear end than?
I post some pictures of them too, to show.

Thanks again and greetings
Mike

Edit: haha, there was even the bill for the car, from '93 comming along with it!

My cars:

Last edited by micholix; 03-04-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2017
Super Moderator

Some nice bits there fella
The works rear end is different to the other versions of the car, rear hubs & wishbones are deffo different & rear hubs have flanged bearings instead of normal ones, the pic below shows all the differences
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bosscat works exploded view.jpg (198.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-04-2017

Hello Gainsy,

Thanks for the exploding view, i did not know, the bearings were flanged typ!
I do have the original instruction manual comming with the car too, so i have a fiew informations, but was confusing, that the works rear arms are so different to the one that are on the car right now.

Yes, some nice bits there, car is comming together nicly allready.

Just did some pictures, i will post them tomorrow, when i'm on the pc again, as i can just upload one pic per post, with the ipad.

How do you get off those nasty sticking sticker glue stuff and double side tape, of the cf parts?
Yesterday i almost rubed the skin off of my finger tips...

@Matt: absolutly correct, the shaft was ment for the Procat, the instruction says it clearly!

My cars:

Last edited by micholix; 03-04-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2017

If someone is interrested in, i could do a scan of the original instruction manual and the MMS instruction and transfere it to a pdf, or jpg file, just shoot me a pm!?

My cars:
Old 03-04-2017
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by micholix View Post
How do you get off those nasty sticking sticker glue stuff and double side tape, of the cf parts?
Yesterday i almost rubed the skin off of my finger tips...
Have used a few things, lighter fluid & a cotton bud does the trick most of the time but i have used pure acetone on things that have been glued on since the 80's & they came out really good, this was a works chassis i had that had the lower belt guard glued to it, just brushed acetone onto the bits affected & slowly it lifted off, took a while but was worth the effort in the end, sure others use different methods but these work for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0276.jpg (503.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0264.JPG (1.41 MB, 14 views)