Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 14-07-2008

that would be a shamewent to regional few season's backbatley seem's to be in similar postion,was there yesterday.nice weather,only 16 racingeverything seem's to clash these day's.i get the feeling club racing is loosing out to big event's,national's,regional's,other race serie's,etc....york alway's seem's well supportedand let's be honest it's alway's down to the same few to run,organise,set track upit get's frustrating
Old 14-07-2008

exactly.and if clubs dnt get together and arrange sumat so places arnt running at the same time .more clubs will fold especially as theres only 2 nw clubs left it seems daft how one another cant help each other out.the wont be any nw regional series anymore
Old 14-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I can't believe that you are only getting 8 members turning up...

It's a great venue that many clubs aim/wish to have

8 members doesnt mean 8 turn up. I have been twice when no one else turned up and once where one other person turned up.

I put this in another post earlier, just repeating myself to highlight the problem. Things are realy bad.

Does anyone know how many racers turned up this weekend, weather looked great but I was working ?
Old 14-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by losichris View Post
exactly.and if clubs dnt get together and arrange sumat so places arnt running at the same time .more clubs will fold especially as theres only 2 nw clubs left it seems daft how one another cant help each other out.the wont be any nw regional series anymore
I don't think Southport closing on alternate weeks is really going to help you out much. Southport club closes for NW regionals at Bury and actively encourages its members to go and support the series.

There are a lot of Southport members though that are only interested in club level racing for fun and aren't interested in travelling. One of the reasons they come to Southport is beacuse its a family venue where kids can enjoy the park and wives and girlfriends can walk in to town for shopping. If Southport closed a few would make the trip to Bury, but a lot of people would just stay home.

I think the result of runnning alternate weeks would be detrimental to the future of the Southport club and give little gain to Bury.

If Bury does close (I sincerly hope it doesn't as its a great track) the NW region will survive... with all 6 rounds at Southport if needs be!

Not to sound funny but where was Bury's support for the North West series a few years ago (2004 or 5 I think) when they dropped North West to run North East? Southport kept the series alive and ran all 6 rounds.

In my opinion there are plenty of racers in and around the Manchester area, but they just don't seem interested in club racing and choose to travel far and wide to follow bigger events.

I also think its a big ask with regards to running Bury alternately with Batley... I've looked at the Batley calander and there seems to be plenty of weeks already when they are closed for NE regions, if they started closing extra dates they would end up with no club days!
Old 14-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by woOdy View Post
I did try and start racing on a wed night but no body turned up. Right now I will do what ever you lot want. If you want to race then I will be there. If you want a new track then I will make that happen. Regards alternate dates with the likes of Southport/Batley I think this is a bad idea. Just tell me what to do?
When did you run mid week? i didnt know it was on ive only been back racing about 3 years was it during that time? purely from a selfish point of veiw i finish work on fridays at about 2pm so love to race friday nights. i wouldnt mind coming down early to help with stuff on the track either. Same goes if you found somewhere indoors for winter
Old 14-07-2008
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

ok theres nothing on this week, so lets get as many people as we can there, i can turn up who els is willing
Old 14-07-2008
Mad Member

I agree completely with Dan on this.

A club is no more than the sum of it's members - if you can't get members, then your club doesn't succeed, and sometimes it doen't matter how much work is put into a club to keep the success of that club alive, things just don't work out.

But why is it that Southport are seemingly being blamed for not helping Bury out? We can't do anything more to help Bury out other than close our own club.

Southport appear to get dragged into everybody's "discussions".

It wasn't that long ago that when somebody decided the North East regions and the North West regions should merge, Southport were accused of trying to "steal" other clubs and members. Now it would appear to be suggested that we should "give-up" members to keep another club going! None of these "discussions" have been started by Southport Members, yet as a club we still somehow get dragged into them. It's bonkers.

Southport is a members club run for and by it's members - we have plenty to do doing that without trying to please everybody else, so please chaps, leave us out of it.
Old 14-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

With Southport holding a national, then given any weekend where both are running, anyone interested in doing well at the national will choose Southport - me included.

The unfortunate thing, is that we don't have many new starters who don't do nationals. These should be the core racers of the club who support it week after week. Southport is a good example of this, they even have club meetings when nationals are on elsewhere as they have enough members to do it.

So I wonder, what could help Bury? I am not going to suggest a national for 2009, although it'd be nice, a national will only attract a temporary number of racers for the pupose of pre-national practice, and the club needs a longterm fix, not short-term.

The sportshall fire although unfortunate, I think makes the track better, that space cleared makes the place seem cleaner, so no blame on that. But the whole area is not as "inviting" as it could be for family - not the track, this is a tough one as to solve it involves relocation but there is nowhere else in Bury, and the track itself at Bury IS great and requires no change.

The other thing is the lack of a local model shop, Bury Model shop used to run the club many years ago, and they could generate interest over the counter to customers in the immediate area. Just how much is Ryan doing? (I don't know) but could he be drawn in to be more involved - even to the point of matching the level of commitment Steve Glover put in during its peak? It'd be in Ryans interest to.

Weather has also been bad over this and last summer, perhaps this has put off many new comers we might have had if the weather had been nice?

Chris
Old 14-07-2008

Yours points are spot on Chris.

Bury needs more club level racers. They can hold big one off meetings, (i.e. a national) that bring in revenue but no new members so it doesn't really help things out.

Certainly Bury needs to get some newbies in. Again Southport is at a geographic advantage because the track is in a public park so we get plenty of passers by and spectators. So I would agree that local model shops are your best bet for advertising.... When somebody goes into a shop to buy an RC car you need a shop thats going to actively try and sell a car that has the potential to be raced. Unfortunately most shops seem to concentrate on flogging nitro bashers these days.

If Bury can get the numbers up I think they need to offer club level competions. Nothing keeps youngsters more interested than points, prizes and trophies.

On a regional level I used to really enjoy the end of season interclub competion, where each club would pitch a team of F2,3, and 4. Many moons ago when I was a young F4 driver it was a real boost to be asked to represent my club. Maybe we have a chance to still do something like this.
Old 14-07-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanW View Post

If Bury can get the numbers up I think they need to offer club level competions. Nothing keeps youngsters more interested than points, prizes and trophies.

On a regional level I used to really enjoy the end of season interclub competion, where each club would pitch a team of F2,3, and 4. Many moons ago when I was a young F4 driver it was a real boost to be asked to represent my club. Maybe we have a chance to still do something like this.
I like trophies!
I to enjoyed the interclub competions many moons ago when Leigh was a club too, running a Bosscat.
I remember the clubs in the NW region Chorley, Leigh, south lakes Southport and Bury. all getting a good turn out every week and for regionals having to pre-book.

In the end it all boils down to money and how much you wish to spend or don`t spend

It was once said to me, if you light the blue touch paper you need to stand well back[/CENTER]
Old 14-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
In the end it all boils down to money and how much you wish to spend or don`t spend
Plenty of people every week turn up every week with a B4 rtr and have a greats days racing with out spending a fortune. Other spend a fortune only to spit thier dummy out. RC racing is cheaper now than it ever was in my opinion.

I think more people have to work weekends than ever before which is a problem. Come on Mr Brown, lets shut all the shops on sundays again!

Also difficult to get the Playstation generation out of their bedrooms and interested in proper hobbies now.
Old 14-07-2008

Some excellent points made here - sensible stuff.

I like Bury a lot and try to come whenever my home club aren't running. I'd come for club racing while the nationals were on at SRCC, if there was any point. I'd rather race and have a laugh than watch it.

Apart from the location factor (passing trade / family area), which are arguably more important concerns, Bury is lacking catering and toilet facilities.

These things are important - most people like a butty, a hot drink and access to a toilet without needing a lock and key.

Southport are doing track maintenance in readiness for the nationals on 20th, so I intend to head up to Bury.

Anyone else up for it?

Old 20-07-2008

Today there were between 15 and 20 people wanting to race, all of whom turned up to Bury and most of whom are Southport regulars (go figure!!).

As this was advertised as a CLUB DAY on the website calendar it should have been running, but no one turned up to run the thing, so we all ended up bashing around the track for a few hours. What gives?

Enjoyable as this was, it is pretty much a disgrace that no one came to run it, especially when Bury moan that no one ever turns up and especially as the organisers live very close by. I don't know if I will make the trip next time - would you?

There seems to be a collective effort brewing (albeit seemingly not from your own club members) to support Bury because folk like to race there and it keeps the North West scene alive, but with this sort of attitude I expect the future of Bury is bleak - this is a terrible shame.

The mind boggles.

Old 20-07-2008

Let's not forget Woody Snr and Jnr invest a lot of time and effort into keeping the club going and it's difficult to stay motivated when turnouts are consistently poor, however I'm sure many people were as disappointed as I was to load up the car and drive to Bury only to find a lot of willing racers unable to do anything more than practice.

As one poster pointed out above, the other 'local' club was closed and the weather was good so it was a great opportunity for Bury to put on a decent club day as advertised on the website.

Whilst I'm sure there are valid reasons for a Bury 'no-show', today openly demonstrated the racers' support and was certainly a chance missed for the club. It's easy to sit and complain, so let's try and keep any feedback constructive...
Old 20-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddybux View Post
Today there were between 15 and 20 people wanting to race, all of whom turned up to Bury and most of whom are Southport regulars (go figure!!).

As this was advertised as a CLUB DAY on the website calendar it should have been running, but no one turned up to run the thing, so we all ended up bashing around the track for a few hours. What gives?

Enjoyable as this was, it is pretty much a disgrace that no one came to run it, especially when Bury moan that no one ever turns up and especially as the organisers live very close by. I don't know if I will make the trip next time - would you?

There seems to be a collective effort brewing (albeit seemingly not from your own club members) to support Bury because folk like to race there and it keeps the North West scene alive, but with this sort of attitude I expect the future of Bury is bleak - this is a terrible shame.

The mind boggles.

Bloody hell fire
Old 20-07-2008

totally agree with russ

dan
Old 20-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_B View Post
Let's not forget Woody Snr and Jnr invest a lot of time and effort into keeping the club going and it's difficult to stay motivated when turnouts are consistently poor, however I'm sure many people were as disappointed as I was to load up the car and drive to Bury only to find a lot of willing racers unable to do anything more than practice.

As one poster pointed out above, the other 'local' club was closed and the weather was good so it was a great opportunity for Bury to put on a decent club day as advertised on the website.

Whilst I'm sure there are valid reasons for a Bury 'no-show', today openly demonstrated the racers' support and was certainly a chance missed for the club. It's easy to sit and complain, so let's try and keep any feedback constructive...
I agree. Whilst I understand you’re disappointed, there must certainly be a valid reason for the no show. Roger is usually there week in week out when only 1 or 2 people are turning up to race, so its very strange that he wasn’t there today.
Old 20-07-2008

My personal opinion is this no matter how good your weather your the best at the track or whatever they should still attend club racers. To show they support the club some people dont go to them now. But since the fule prices went up we cant attend to all of the tracks
Old 20-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny20 View Post
My personal opinion is this no matter how good your weather your the best at the track or whatever they should still attend club racers. To show they support the club some people dont go to them now. But since the fule prices went up we cant attend to all of the tracks
are you b-mag in disguise?
Old 20-07-2008

Send a message via ICQ to Scouser

To make matters worse, there was a big cycle race being held and alot of the riders and their families came over to see what was going on. A properly organised race meeting would have been a much better advert for the club.
I made the trip to support Bury today despite the fact that I 'should' have been helping Southport prepare for the National. With hindsight perhaps the shovel/paintbrush would have been a better choice (sorry to all at Southport who did help out )
Whilst everyone who stayed had a laugh and got some testing done, an equal amount simply left disheartened without running their cars at all. Not sure if they will be returning too soon.
Definitely an opportunity missed.