Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 03-08-2012

Default What radio?

It's been 2 years since I last did RC. Back then I had a Spektrum DX3R which I rather liked, and have always been a fan of steerwheel radios. Now I'm getting back into RC and need one more component - the radio. I'll be racing a DEX410 and an 8th electric (if it matters) but don't have as much as I had to spend on the DX3R unfortunately. Budget is around £150 max, and I have the following requirements:
  • £150 budget
  • Steerwheel
  • 2.4GHz (obviously)
  • Minimum of EPA, digital trims, dual rates. Don't care about exponential
  • Rx must take 7.4V

Any ideas? Back when I was racing, Futaba's 2.4GHz Rxs used to overheat and fail, is this still a problem?
Old 03-08-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to Timee80

i still use a spektrum dx3s that ive had for years now. Never let me down and is perfect if you already like the feel of spektrum tx's. You could also opt for the dx3c which is similar functionality wise and dirt cheap.
If i remember right you used to post a fair bit in the electrics sections. Welcome back.
Old 04-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
It's been 2 years since I last did RC. Back then I had a Spektrum DX3R which I rather liked, and have always been a fan of steerwheel radios. Now I'm getting back into RC and need one more component - the radio. I'll be racing a DEX410 and an 8th electric (if it matters) but don't have as much as I had to spend on the DX3R unfortunately. Budget is around £150 max, and I have the following requirements:
  • £150 budget
  • Steerwheel
  • 2.4GHz (obviously)
  • Minimum of EPA, digital trims, dual rates. Don't care about exponential
  • Rx must take 7.4V

Any ideas? Back when I was racing, Futaba's 2.4GHz Rxs used to overheat and fail, is this still a problem?
I have just bought a Spektrum DX3C (I had a DX3R and changed to a KO Mars) and it is absolutely awesome. The price is £79.95 rrp and comes complete with a SR300 receiver. Has all the properties of the R and at a fraction of the cost. Check out the usual outlets for deals.
Old 04-08-2012

You could try the new Sanwa MX V steerwheel radio, good quality and Sanwa's awesome 2.4ghz tech. As the radio is £80 you could get a second receiver for your 1/8th scale.
As you are going to do 1/8th electric I would give the Sanwa a serious look as they are less prone to brownouts than Spektrum's, particularly if you are going to use a Savox servo which will draw a big current in 1/8th.
Old 04-08-2012

I liked the look of the MX-V, but none of the compatible receivers will take a 7.4V input which is a shame. DX3C is promising, as is the S, though the SR300 is sub-par from what I recall.
Old 04-08-2012
Mad Member

I've got a ko propo helios...an excellent steer wheel with countless number of options...even has a direct servo control so you can fine tune servos without having to connect to receiver!

The Eurus is an updated version and can be easily found..

The KIY-1...well if you have the lolly and your are the quirky type!
Old 04-08-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
"Rx must take 7.4V"

I've been running Futaba systems for some 30 years and have never had a Futaba Receiver overheat on me !
I've found that Futaba and Sanwa are the most reliable

All but the new Futaba Receiver's ( the ones for the 4PK Series ) take 6v
So if your pumping 7.4v in them, this may explain the overheating !!
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 04-08-2012

Quote:
I liked the look of the MX-V, but none of the compatible receivers will take a 7.4V input which is a shame. DX3C is promising, as is the S, though the SR300 is sub-par from what I recall.
My Sanwa receiver manuals state that the operating voltage is 4.8 to 7.4 volts, so they should be ok. But I've not tried this my self as I run at 6.0 volts. Perhaps someone who as used them in nitro buggies could confirm if they are good for 7.4 volt operation.

Out of interest are you going to run a seperate BEC or an ESC with adjustable BEC like my Viper? If you are going to run a separate BEC then you shouldn't have the problems with the Spektrum receiver browning out, especially at 7.4 volts.