Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Broxtowe Model Car Club

Old 10-11-2013

Default Starter car for my son

Just looking for some advice on the best car for my son to start with. Just so he can have a go doesn't have to sit and watch me. Been looking mostly at circuit cars so tamiya mini or mardave v12 not sure if you can run the v12 at the club? But just looking for something cheap and easy to run. Cheers
Old 10-11-2013

Default Starter car

A cheap and easy car to look after is a tamiya mini.
To be honest I'm looking at a few with getting 1 for my daughter to start racing

I'm thinking M03
Old 10-11-2013

It's got to be a 2wd buggy surely. Practice won't be limited the club nights. Can be raced indoor in the winter and outdoor in the summer.They are strong and easy to repair. Cheap to buy. Easy to limit speed. I think most beginners at Broxtowe start with 2wd buggy.

Gt12 is 'very' competitive and minis, in my view, are not the best introduction to racing. They are not cheap to buy or repair and they drive like nothing else out there.
Old 10-11-2013

Default Buggy

I totally disagree the buggy heats are getting a little fast and out of control ATM and to put a newbie and a young one at that in this heat would not do there confidence any good what so ever.....

I do agree that a buggy may be good as it can be run outdoors but ATM indoors with a buggy is a little mad....
Old 10-11-2013

Maybe a Supastox ... Not!
Old 10-11-2013

As a starter car you can't go wrong with a mardave.... They're solid can take a load of punishment and are as cheap as chips... My boy started with one and had now moved on to buggies and a supastox but for the first 6-9 months the mardave was perfect !
Tamiya - TA04 (Iconic)
BMCC
Old 11-11-2013

I'll put my opinion across regarding buggy heats,10 cars in a heat is a reciepe for disaster on a small track, it'sok for touring cars and gt12s and such like but not open wheel, the likes of myself and the other fast lads are encountering traffic as early as lap 2, and to throw a spanner in the works a lot of the drivers do not let you through when lapping them, maybe 3 heats of buggies needs to be put on so we have a maximum of 7/8 cars with the complete novices in heat 1 and so forth. Unfortunatly i wont be able to make the AGM on saturday, but i believe this needs addressing.
And totally agree with ian, buggies are the perfect starter class for a novies because they can go and bash it out on the street and racing is avaliable all year round
Old 11-11-2013

I couldn't disagree more !

The open wheeled nature of buggies and the lack of skill of beginers is a recipe for disaster they're always getting tangled together and it becomes very frustrating not only for the new racers but for the unfortunate marshalls who don't get a second to catch there breath, Even some of the "quick" boys struggle to avois each other indoors... It's a differnet thing outdoors of course but the size of the track at greasley is just not condusive to buggy racing... Especially for beginers !

At the end of the day you need to find a class your kid wants to race as that's what they'll enjoy, irrespective of what everyone else's opinion is
Tamiya - TA04 (Iconic)
BMCC
Old 11-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1974 View Post
I couldn't disagree more !

The open wheeled nature of buggies and the lack of skill of beginers is a recipe for disaster they're always getting tangled together and it becomes very frustrating not only for the new racers but for the unfortunate marshalls who don't get a second to catch there breath, Even some of the "quick" boys struggle to avois each other indoors... It's a differnet thing outdoors of course but the size of the track at greasley is just not condusive to buggy racing... Especially for beginers !

At the end of the day you need to find a class your kid wants to race as that's what they'll enjoy, irrespective of what everyone else's opinion is
Totally agree Aaron.
Which is why buggy heats need the numbers reducing so there is less carnage. But its the same old thing again, everyone one has an opinion about what too race, but at the end of the day its a personal preference, which is why i may go touring car at the club because its less carnageor has my eye sight failed me again. LOL
Old 11-11-2013

Having only been racing again for 5 weeks things have changed especially speed . I currently race off road which had 10 cars in one heat on sat all going like the clappers. I think i had eye strain after trying to follow my car . Lol I would say the track and hall are great nice big size . But numbers on track in off road are large and speed is high So to put my son into this would just not work for him or be fair for the other drivers in that race. . that's why I think the mardave would be the best for him and other drivers so as not to getting in there way as much . Maybe a 3rd buggy heat ? Which has been said. But then you need to make time up somewhere else which is hard to fit in given the numbers . I don't race any other days so would like it to stay at 4 heats but can see its very difficult time wise. best thing for him maybe is to wait till spring when it goes outdoors . And that also gives him some more practice at home .