Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 10-04-2016

Default FrSky problems :(

Hi Everyone,

I am seeking advice on a KO Esprit 2 I converted to FrSky.

I have a KO Esprit 2 I converted to FrSky. Its been rock solid for three race meetings, but on its fourth suffered what must of been loss of signal causing full throttle to be left on momentarily (before safety cuts in) right at the wrong place much to my embarrassment and horror (totaled a wish bone and top deck on my SV2, that's before i've checked it over thoroughly..).

I am really not sure what to do now; I have invested a bit of time and money in it, but I cannot afford for my car to be going out of control..

Observations include:-
- My transmitter reading 10.2 volts which is down on full charge but well within the tolerance for the FrSky module I believe..
- LED on the receiver oscillating when I move the transmitter around a bit.

I have another receiver to try, but this is all new kit so shouldn't have any issue :-s

Any advice would be gratefully received,

Thanks

Adrian
Old 10-04-2016
Mad Member

It maybe time to invest in a proper 2.4 system not a conversion the handset is very old and the pots are probably worn out, unless you are 100% sure it's the frsky not the handset and if it's only three weeks old send it back faulty
Old 10-04-2016

I ran frsky for two years, converted futaba 3vc. In electric and nitro.

I had a coupe of issues, all coming from broken ariel wires on the receiver, this was on the basic ones that are just a circuit board in a plastic or cardboard sleeve. I found that a blob of hot glue in the end around the base of the ariel wire and careful handling when mounting sorted it.

I'd look at this before you give up on it, in every other way I found the system as good as the latest futaba I have now, except the frsky was a lot cheaper

Plus it gave my old faithful 3vc another couple of years of service
Old 10-04-2016

Some great advice there, thank you very much
Old 10-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
It maybe time to invest in a proper 2.4 system not a conversion the handset is very old and the pots are probably worn out, unless you are 100% sure it's the frsky not the handset and if it's only three weeks old send it back faulty
It is possible that the issue was down to throttle pot, but I would expect to be able to repeat it more easily if this was the case maybe :-s

I guess I wanted to use the Esprit 2 again for sentimental reasons mainly, but in terms of upgrading, the cost of a new Esprit 4 is mega and there doesn't seem a lot in between
Old 10-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4bc View Post
I ran frsky for two years, converted futaba 3vc. In electric and nitro.

I had a coupe of issues, all coming from broken ariel wires on the receiver, this was on the basic ones that are just a circuit board in a plastic or cardboard sleeve. I found that a blob of hot glue in the end around the base of the ariel wire and careful handling when mounting sorted it.

I'd look at this before you give up on it, in every other way I found the system as good as the latest futaba I have now, except the frsky was a lot cheaper

Plus it gave my old faithful 3vc another couple of years of service
Great advice there As it happens I too brought the basic printed circuit in a cardboard carton item, and did put a hot glue blob on the aeriel and did also shrink wrap it with an additional layer of heat shrink to make it more robust. :-s
Old 11-04-2016

Have you set up the safety setting (can't remember the proper name) so that if anything does go awry it maintains a neutral steering and throttle position.

If it happens on the far edge of the track then I suspect an aerial may have snapped as mentioned above. If not then can't offer much more help I'm afraid.
Old 12-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by adon30 View Post
Have you set up the safety setting (can't remember the proper name) so that if anything does go awry it maintains a neutral steering and throttle position.

If it happens on the far edge of the track then I suspect an aerial may have snapped as mentioned above. If not then can't offer much more help I'm afraid.
It went on its merry trip on the main straight, just past the rostrum

Safety setting have been configured but they kick in after around a second of no signal which was a second too late for my car

Thanks for the advice - I am struggling with this one and don't want to buy a new radio set as I am 50/50 on giving up (for a few reasons) :-s So things to check are great as far as I am concerned
Old 13-04-2016

Which receiver is it? Some have two aerials and some have one. I understand this is just to give just an extra factor of safety re interference. After numerous problems with K.O. and other sets, touch wood, this has been the only one that has been 100% reliable. Mine is 'hack module' in old Sanwa Gemini 2 and one of the v8 receivers with 2 aerials. As all have said they do leave something to be desired in the durability department, not sure why they haven't done a proper hard cased one, but like you said, a bit of glue and some heatshrink and job's a goodun.

Hope you get to the bottom of it, these sort of issues are a real pain, and and expensive pain at that.

Old 13-04-2016

I don't know if my issue is the same as yours but I've got an frsky hack module in my ko esprit ii, occasionally the whole thing would just shut down momentarily mid race, no steering, throttle etc, after some googling i put it down to a spike in the BEC system due to the high powered ko servo i was running, I've since plugged a capacitor into a spare receiver channel and touch wood it seems to have resolved my problem, it may be something similar to your issue.
Old 13-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige0568 View Post
I don't know if my issue is the same as yours but I've got an frsky hack module in my ko esprit ii, occasionally the whole thing would just shut down momentarily mid race, no steering, throttle etc, after some googling i put it down to a spike in the BEC system due to the high powered ko servo i was running, I've since plugged a capacitor into a spare receiver channel and touch wood it seems to have resolved my problem, it may be something similar to your issue.
I was thinking about this morning and was going to suggest trying a capacitor plugged into the receiver in case of brown outs on the power.
Old 14-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugboy View Post
Which receiver is it? Some have two aerials and some have one. I understand this is just to give just an extra factor of safety re interference. After numerous problems with K.O. and other sets, touch wood, this has been the only one that has been 100% reliable. Mine is 'hack module' in old Sanwa Gemini 2 and one of the v8 receivers with 2 aerials. As all have said they do leave something to be desired in the durability department, not sure why they haven't done a proper hard cased one, but like you said, a bit of glue and some heatshrink and job's a goodun.

Hope you get to the bottom of it, these sort of issues are a real pain, and and expensive pain at that.
Thanks for the reply - my receiver is a V8R4-II. Funny enough, the merchant I brought it off did mention the two aerial receiver as a better option for a car due to the aerial wire being longer.. I just didn't like the idea of two aerials, that and it has the possibility of telemetry which some clubs might get sniffy about, even though I'm just a club racer..
Old 14-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige0568 View Post
That sounds really promising have you got any details like what capacitor, and how to wire it etc.

The irony is previous meeting to the one I had interference, I was running a old KO with 'hot wire' plus to the receiver. Basically I had speedo, steering, transponder and servo hot wire on all four sockets on receiver.

The KO died so I then purchased a Xpert RC SI-4431 (which experienced the interference) which I wonder is this drawing more power...
Old 14-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by adon30 View Post
I was thinking about this morning and was going to suggest trying a capacitor plugged into the receiver in case of brown outs on the power.
Thanks - any tips on how to do this would be gratefully received
Old 14-04-2016

Receiver prepped for model car racing:-

Aftermath of my run away
Old 14-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH78 View Post
That sounds really promising have you got any details like what capacitor, and how to wire it etc.

The irony is previous meeting to the one I had interference, I was running a old KO with 'hot wire' plus to the receiver. Basically I had speedo, steering, transponder and servo hot wire on all four sockets on receiver.

The KO died so I then purchased a Xpert RC SI-4431 (which experienced the interference) which I wonder is this drawing more power...
I just bought 2 x 4700uf 16v electrolytic capacitors off ebay, £2.76 for 2 inc free postage, you only need 1 but I've now got a spare, then i soldered a receiver plug to the capacitor legs ensuring you get the correct polarity then plugged it into a spare receiver channel, so far so good.
Old 15-04-2016

You can get the power caps 'pre-made' if you prefer.

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/pro...iver-power-cap

I used these to fix the odd brown out when I used to use a Spektrum module in a KO radio.
Old 16-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRob View Post
You can get the power caps 'pre-made' if you prefer.

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/pro...iver-power-cap

I used these to fix the odd brown out when I used to use a Spektrum module in a KO radio.
Thanks for that, great
Old 16-04-2016

Thanks for the advice nige0568
Old 17-04-2016

You're welcome, I hope you resolve your problem.