Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Faversham Off Road Car Club

Old 04-04-2011

quit your moaning

Worn tyres are a part of any kind of racing, just ease up on the throttle finger
Old 04-04-2011
Mad Member

hey chaps

how you all been oh those were the days running on carpet i must have missed the club vote yet again! back then my tamiya f1 car was pretty good on the fluffy stuff i have the first place trofy some where in my shed im up for carpet can i bring my tc over.

stu
Old 04-04-2011

We had a TC in the hall once many years ago but we got on to rent a kill and they put some bait down and we have had no more trouble since .

Good to here from you Stu hope all is ok in your world.
Old 04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud31 View Post
17.5 anyone lol

Anyway my minipins did 3 runs at moto arena an thats on a 2wd so tyre wear at fav is less than normal.

They still work at slick though, Ed tq'ed on slicks
Old 04-04-2011

Ed could get TQ driving a bus round most tracks he,s that good so would not use that as a arguement on tyre wear.
Old 04-04-2011

But if everyone had the same amount of grip the raceing would be closer
Old 04-04-2011

Ed could off course TQ with almost anything, but Me, Mike and Tom were also running on slicks and were in the mix of the A... Tom even came 3rd of 4th? cant really remember.. Its more the compound that makes the difference on such a high grip surface.
Old 04-04-2011

And if i had the lottery numbers for next week i would be a rich man, but life is not that easy, we have to work hard for things we want in life and tyre grip is one of them
Old 04-04-2011
Mad Member

Was the hall floor re varnished cause it looked and felt different to drive on?
If it has maybe it will be better on tyre wear.
But other than that I cannot see an answer that would be 100% watertight
1. 17.5 turn ......... The whole club would need to buy a new motor all at the same time.... Bad ... But what about 540 gold cans not brushless
2. Blue compound tyres (not sure if they are still available ) ...... Easy to rub off the yellow dot and cheat (Elliot) Elliot you are a cheat!!!! And you would do that straight away, licking it off ,cheat perv!
3. Cover the floor ........ Difficult to setup and pack away + space to store and expense of buying! But astro indoor would be ace with mini spikes not pins so as to last longer or dboots even better wear rate!

I personally like the cover the floor with sheets of ply and push drawing pins through the tyres from the inside= lots of grip and changeable spikes lol , oh and gloves for the marshals
Old 04-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Will are you talking about slick full spikes or slick mini pins?

How about 2 strips of carpet with the natural floor up the middle, carpet and polished wood?

I was in a rush at Moto Arena and used full spikes on carpet there and they felt pretty good so would work on both carpet and polished but would be better when worn on the carpet bits.

Bit of give and take really?

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 04-04-2011

Not really sure what you want me to say wil, where you raced at the weekend is light years from our little village hall.

Maybe we can have a chat on wends night regards what you lot are saying and maybe i am geting to old to help run the club anymore and maybe it needs some younger people to take charge, not me throwing dummy out of pram just fact i think i am geting older and maybe i just want to take things a bit easier, we will see as don,t want to post any more on this subject as rather talk to a face.

Regards currant FORCC chairman Alan.
Old 04-04-2011

Wood and carpet was what i asked about to start with then any tyers would work well in the hull
Old 04-04-2011
Mad Member

Mark slicks are slicks lol
I like the idea of 3 rolls of astro unsand filled (clean) as they are light, rolled out in minutes and taped then build track as normal
Then we could use those hard dboots tyres for hopefully ages and would work straight out of their packets until they were bald
Yes it would be a club outlay at first but should save members a fortune and give close consistent racing.

That was member as in club member, not member like Elliot
Old 04-04-2011

That was the plan to ask people if they thought it was a good idear and to see if it was some thing to try freshen things up
Old 04-04-2011
Mad Member

All these ideas are all very well, but when it's nigh on impossible to get much help putting the track out or away at the night's end then if you want to change it then you're going to have to be prepared to put the effort in.

And not just a few weeks and then gradually saunter off and leave it to the regulars because trust me that's not going to happen.

Week after week I call out for the last 2 heats to put the track away, and week after week it's the same old faces who do, and the same old faces who think it's a job that's below them. Sorry if this is harsh, but those that do are pretty sick and tired of those that don't.

And you want to make all these changes and have ply, astro and mopped floors?

Told you - easy answer - hard compound control tyre.
Easier answer - leave well alone and accept that the faster you go the faster things wear out.

As Alan says - perhaps it's time for some new blood to take the reins and let those of us who have been racing for 25 years enjoy our racing more without all the hassle.....
Old 04-04-2011

I for one have spoken of the hate for yellow full spike saggers 3 weeks running in just to find they do not work or they come in only to find 2/3 weeks down the line they have gone off.
This seems to be a variant in the yellow compound not an issue with the race surface, the club has run on the wooden floor for years and i personally would not want to race every week on carpet, we need to try either minipins or minispikes from new to worn out and see how long they last how easy they work from brand new and if everyone is on them it's even racing, the power thingy is horse sh@@ i for one run a supercharged spedo but its turned down so much it's wasted in our hall even if we went to 17.5t someone willing to push the limits will find more power than the rest it's the nature of racing.

lets stop whinging buy some yellow minipins and test them

talking of tracks can we have one of those vertical jumps in a slow part of the track .

regards wooden floor racer
Old 04-04-2011

The thing is, you are adding to the list of things to do but no one has yet said they are actually willing to do them. Some one has to. The people that currently do cannot do any more and if im honest I don't want to. I think we do enough already. I actually quite enjoy doing it when once its done so many keep turning up every week but there is a limit to what can be done in such a short time for a club night.

The bottom line is if you want to go fast you are going to have to pay for the rubber no matter what the surface is. If you want it to be cheaper dont buy 60c cells and the latest gen electrics and go slower.

Just my thoughts

Dave
Old 04-04-2011
Mad Member

Can't see Astro working either Scott unless it's secured to the floor.

Scenario 1 - Marshal runs out to a car, stops dead and the astro just keeps going......bit like the carpet does sometimes.
Old 04-04-2011

Neil, have you got a pic of the jump you mean?
Old 04-04-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav4wd View Post
the power thingy is horse sh@@

And quote of the week goes to Neil.......