Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 23-04-2012

Default Hobbywing WP SC8 combo review?

Hi There,

Anybody out there have this system yet?
If so how are you finding it?
Is the startup, low end throttle response and braking smooth?
Have you tested the waterproof capabilities?

I'm asking as I need to replace the MMM that was in my truggy (due to water damage) and I need a combo for a Losi 8eu i've just bought. Funds are short at the moment so none of the expensive options are viable this will be raced on our own astro track mainly, but I would also really like the esc to be waterproof for the occasional bashing (and peace of mind).
Old 08-05-2012

Well I've order 3 of them so 2 for me and one for a mate so we will see soon what they are like. I just couldn't face/afford another expensive esc being toasted due to water (why are there no water proof sensored esc out there for 1/8th?).

I generally like to get others feedback first but in this case I guess we'll just have to b
Old 08-05-2012

Be the guinnee pigs.
Old 17-05-2012

Default They are here, so I guess it's review time!

Well the 3 units of EZ Run WP SC8 turned up yesterday morning
We ordered 3 of the 2000KV combo's 1 for my Losi 8ight EU buggy, 1 for my mates and one for my Losi 8T. On first inpection I was pleasantly suprised at how small the form factor is! They are a lot smaller then either a Mamba or XERUN 150A Sensored. I would say roughly 2/3rd's the size maybe less (I'll take a photo of them side by side later). It is visible through the casing that the entire internals are encased in resin much like the Mtroniks waterproof brushless esc's. This i would assume to be a good thing for shock resistance as well as providing the waterproofing. I was pleased that they provided with the set a spare rubber cover/gasket for the Switch as i'm sure over time this will wear out and be a cause for moisture ingress.

So after work my mate and I who baught them hurredly went about the process of soldering on some ec5 connectors for our batteries and the included bullet connectors on the motor wires (the wires needed a lot of trimming as they are really quite long). Then it was a quick process to mount them into our Losi 8ight EU Buggies. We did this leaving out the included mounting tray, instead we just drilling two new 3mm holes through the losi esc plate/tray (using the included mounting plate as a jig) attached the servo tape and screwed the unit on directly. I should mention the motor really I guess. It looks identical from an outside perspective as the Sensored 4274 bar the fact that it has one less row of heatsink on the case and ity is black. I'm sure bar the hall sensors it is the same motor. I am also extremly happy with the fact that for reprograming the esc you no longer need to remove the reciever lead from the reciever (which in an 8th scale is a bit of a pain in the arse). All you do is unplug the fan which is on a servo connector socket, plug in the included servo lead and programing card and turn the car on done! I have not had a chance to play with the advanced programing with the programming card and PC software, but it is compatible so I will check it out shortly using my mate advanced programing card.

Well we have both put 5 or 6 packs through them racing the last couple of evenings and I am happy to report that we are both extremely happy with the purchase. We can both honestly say that in turms of linearity and smoothness that it is very hard to tell the difference between these and the sensored Xerun motors. I'm not just saying this, it really would be very difficult to tell which system was in the car on a 4S battery. It Is certainly smoother than the Castle Mamba's I have previously owned by a fair margin and I have always been fairly happy with those for an unsensored esc! Yesterday we put 3 packs through each of the cars in quick succession on a fairly wide open track with 2x 4-5 sec full throttle straits. We had no sign of thermal issues at all. I actually did't take my temp gun out with me but I would have said the motor was at about 65-70 degrees C and the esc was only mildly warm i would have said 35-45 degrees C max (temp outside was 13degrees so quite cold).

So to sum up I would say that esc is excellent value for money !! Time will tell on reliablilty but I'm hopeful for sure, esspecially with the fully resin encased electronics. My truggy will be more stressfull for it so i'll let you know how it goes in that as well. but if you only want to run 4 cell batteries in a 1/8 buggy (or i'm sure a SCT) and cant afford one of the premium sensored offerings i would say go for it, I think you will be pleasently suprised just like we have been!

Cheers
Old 17-06-2012

I also have one of these ESCs which I have fitted to an HPI Vorza, hooked up to a 2700kv EZRUN motor.

On Saturday I used it for the 1st time, running a 4s 65-130c nano-tech on dirt. I ran 3 packs through it, allowing plenty of time for cooling between runs and it seemed to perform faultlessly through the day, like you I couldn't really tell the difference between it and the HW150a XERUN (although I think there was a slight difference when I ran the 2 back-to-back on tarmac outside my house).

However, when cleaning the car today I noticed that the part of the top cover (which the cooling fan fits into) has slightly deformed from heat in the area where it fits around the 2 capacitors (between the +ve and -ve battery leads). I removed the cover and there doesn't appear to be any damage to anything electrical, the capacitors show no signs of burning or anything and the resin which makes the ESC waterproof appears unaffected.

Also I ran it on the bench today and it still seems to work perfectly (on every run yesterday I carried on driving until the ESC reduced the power to protect the LiPos). I don't think I experienced a thermal cut-out all day because every time it slowed down the cell voltage was 3.64v, and I set the low voltage cut-off to 3.4v, so it's reasonable to assume that the ESC detected less than 3.4v per cell under load and reduced the power. I also had the overheat protection enabled.

Has this happened on any of your 3 SC8s?