Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 06-08-2015
Mad Member

Default Ralphee's TRF211XM

Many thanks for Kentech for the NIB kit at a great price, had to have this car.

So here we are thus far, im still awaiting a few parts to arrive, but shes almost ready now for a shake down on carpet this Friday.
Only additions option wise so far are the TRF 0 Degree nose weight, and an under Lipo 55g weight, so shes pretty OOB at present.
Ive gone 450 oil front and 400 rear, kit springs, but i can swap out to harder Yatabe's once i know where the car is.

Still need to add.
Alloy wing mounts and Exotek buttons.
Alloy axle spacers and crush tubes (plastic bugs me in these areas)
Yokomo Hex conversion

Ill be leaving the battery wires longer so i can swap out between saddle and shorty on the night.

Just a tip, i fitted Yokomo ball cups and ballstuds, these make the left rear inner ballcup foul the motor cover, so i shimmed my shock tower with 1mm spacers, and that did the trick, but i remember doing something similar on my XMW.

So there we are, lets see how she goes Friday!

Bests......lee

Old 06-08-2015

Nice clean build. My 211 kit is still in box awaiting to be built. I'll stay tuned to this thread. Can you post a pic with the Tamiya body mounted? The paint on it looks great.
Old 06-08-2015
Mad Member

Ill get a pic buddy!

Lee
Old 06-08-2015

Very nice indeed Lee !
Best of luck Friday mate. Will be interested to hear how it goes
I'm getting some track time in tonight trying out some new setups, so will let you know how it all goes.

Jason
Old 06-08-2015
Mad Member

Thanks Jason, look forward to hearing your findings! Main thing that concerns me right now, is front droop, theres a lot of it! Do i go out as is, or take a bit out now? I can see some massive roll ahead is all!

Lee
Old 06-08-2015

Thumbs up

Lee I would add about 3 limiters in the front and 2 in the rear and then adjust the lower end of the shock for length if need be.. I had to do that for mine since I thought that there was way too much droop for High Bit surfaces.... try it out and let us know how it works out for you
Old 06-08-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Looks awesome matey. Will be interesting to see how she goes compared to the XMW with the new chassis......

Make sure your hands are clean when working on it. PLENTY OF WET WIPES and PLEDGE.............

**** 5 Metres Speed Swimming Champion 1976****
Old 06-08-2015
Mad Member

Dave, by two and three limiters, you mean in 1mm increments buddy? Sound like a plan, had to limit the poop out my Bmax4 on high grip as the excess droop lifted wheels and rolled like crazy!
Mark, i ALWAYS have wet wipes at hand haha, you do know i take black marks off my YZ wheels between rounds lol, its just my condition, i twitch like crazy if i dont lol!

Lee
Old 06-08-2015

I use limiters that are the same thickness to the silver Tamiya washer so about .75mm each limiter 2.25mm in the front and 1.5mm in the rear.... but using spacers/ limiters that are about 1mm each would be fine as well.. just make sure to adjust your shock shaft length.. and record the data on what you use and what works best... took me about 3 packs to find out what worked best.. and I see you went lighter oil in the rear as well... this was what I noticed as well
Old 06-08-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Looks fantastic, hope the first race meeting goes well for you

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 06-08-2015

Looks nice matey, wish I could make it Friday to see how it goes. You will have to keep us informed 😃
Old 06-08-2015
Mad Member

Thanks Mark and Paul, hope we see you soon buddy!

Dave your a star, thank you, i will go out box stock, then may try for heat two, 3mm front, 1mm rear, see how that goes!
Do feel the front will be too soft on kit springs, so aiming to switch to Yokomo Yatabe orange, ill have to see, so much to do, so little time haha, but i will record down what i find!

Bests.....lee
Old 06-08-2015

Good stuff!!! You could also try the Tamiya 4wd front springs as well I would thing a Orange Yatabe Spring should be pretty close to a Front Tamiya Red or Yellow
Old 06-08-2015

Hi Lee,

Just got back from some more testing this evening and I was playing with droop settings

Dave is spot on with his comments, with high grip carpet you'll need to run the car much flatter.

I ran 0mm Front and 0mm Rear to start on a flat astro track......lots of roll and too much on the front.

I then went to an extreme 3mm in the Front and 2mm in the Rear. Car was much much better, cornered much flatter but pushes a lot on the front. I found myself chasing grip on the front.

Finally I settled on 2mm in the Front and 1mm in the Rear.

I would say for indoor carpet you'd be looking at 2mm Front minimum. You'd probably settle nearer 3mm front and either 1 or 2mm in the Rear. It makes a huge difference in getting the car to corner flatter.

I also tried out soft springs F&R and loved it. It made taking the jumps very predictable.

Only thing I couldn't stop was it unloading the diff and over rotating. I was running 2000cst in the gear diff and didn't have the time to play with thicker oil. That'll be for next week and hopefully I can get the car to drive more forward rather than spin up the diff

I'm learning so much more about this car with the adjustments I make. Still learning!

Best of luck tomorrow buddy!
Old 07-08-2015

Moggers

Try 5000 on the diff, kit front springs ,red at the rear , 0 degree camber and toe, on the Ackerman the rear hole.
19 ride high
Old 07-08-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggers View Post
Hi Lee,

Just got back from some more testing this evening and I was playing with droop settings

Dave is spot on with his comments, with high grip carpet you'll need to run the car much flatter.

I ran 0mm Front and 0mm Rear to start on a flat astro track......lots of roll and too much on the front.

I then went to an extreme 3mm in the Front and 2mm in the Rear. Car was much much better, cornered much flatter but pushes a lot on the front. I found myself chasing grip on the front.

Finally I settled on 2mm in the Front and 1mm in the Rear.

I would say for indoor carpet you'd be looking at 2mm Front minimum. You'd probably settle nearer 3mm front and either 1 or 2mm in the Rear. It makes a huge difference in getting the car to corner flatter.

I also tried out soft springs F&R and loved it. It made taking the jumps very predictable.

Only thing I couldn't stop was it unloading the diff and over rotating. I was running 2000cst in the gear diff and didn't have the time to play with thicker oil. That'll be for next week and hopefully I can get the car to drive more forward rather than spin up the diff

I'm learning so much more about this car with the adjustments I make. Still learning!

Best of luck tomorrow buddy!
Cheers Jason

I think ill go off the bat with 3mm front spacers, i know this thing is gonna roll like crazy going from past experience of the XMW on carpet.
Im using the geared diff as im trying to learn more about them (been using it in the YZ2 lately) and filled it with 3000cst, so ill see where that takes me as i know i wont have time to change that as ill run my 4WD too tonight.
Was leaning to a 19mm ride height too Guiness.

Lee
Old 08-08-2015
Mad Member

Well, a mixed bag really. We ran a practice night with just four quali rounds.

Car felt far too soft first run lots of roll, this was on kit springs, with 3mm spacers in the front shocks, 1mm in the rear to limit the droop. Geared diff, yuck, too inconsistent for me.

Changed to kit rear spring and Yatabe orange front for the second round, but all i had to give it its first nights run was a set of rear M4 Proline Pin points, not the best tyre at all, way too hard, but hey, its what i had to hand just to get it on the carpet.
Car had great steering, just too loose/soft in the rear and wanted to break away in the faster sweepers.

Third round, tried Yatabe orange front, 10g of weight in the rear of the chassis and went as excessive as purple rear, way to hard, on the geared diff the car felt way too lairy in the rear, but improved by a lap, it was getting there.

Fourth round, Yatabe Orange front 450 cst and Yatabe Orange 400 cst rear, now 20g of weight in the rear, a lot better, still battling with the diff on 3000 cst, but it did feel much more balanced, showed flashes of being quick, but the lack of bite from the tyres didnt give me much confidence, it was at this point i broke an arm, soooo, mixed bag, and ill persevere with it, jumped well, but wow this thing is so light on shorty!

Ive fitted the ball diff for the next meet, for me that seems the better option, as i think it will calm the car down and make it more predictable out of corners, seemed to have a lot of diff out coming into corners and way aggressive out.

Im no pro in set up, still much the noob, i do love this thing, but i did miss using the YZ2 lol.

Bests.......lee
Old 08-08-2015

Wink

Sounds like the car was a hand full with the gear diff... Two things that might help are tires and messing around with the rear roll enter a little bit.... Along with the ball diff...( I don't have much time on carpet but I do on high grip clay so some things should be relatively close for set ups )

When is the next time your going to the track Lee..? Get some more time on this chassis and you should be able to keep up if not be better than the YZ-2..
I have driven my buddy's Yokomo and that car struggles for rear grip on high grip clay for stateside tracks
Old 09-08-2015
Mad Member

Dave, IMO it was the diff giving me trouble! Ive only recently switched to the geared in my YZ2, and even that gives me the odd "moment" out of corners, feel i have to treat the throttle like a hair trigger regardless of grip, but its manageable, but not in the Tamiya, maybe slowing it on 5000wt could help, but then id be taking out steering?
Next showing is Friday buddy, ive not changed a thing, apart from the diff, and ill be back on our control tyre, so i think this will be the true acid test, and in betting it will be a ton better!
May raise the inner link on the tower for sure, but ill do a heat and see where it is!
Car does get some looks though, making it perform will be the icing on the cake, if i can improve from my YZ2, which is still sometimes a bit lairy for my skillset, ill be super happy!

Lee
Old 15-08-2015
Mad Member

Well out she came for another meet last night, and im fully sold.

Took the YZ2 out initially, and although my YZ needs work ( i did struggle in round one) the TRF showed it is very quick even in my hands.
Improved my paltry round one time from 16, to 19 laps on a very technical and tight track, and close on a 21 in the end, sadly ill never know this as the computer called me finished, and i wasnt lol.

Car had masses of rear grip, with slight push on entry, but only slight, very comfortable, and it did have me pushing, beyond my capablities in some cases, jumped very well, and was easily a match for most cars on track that evening, the driver let us both down haha.

The ball diff was superb, super smooth and really gave me confidence to get on the power sooner, and the Orange Yatabe springs worked great.
I removed the front anti squat spacer fully too, didnt feel its needed on smooth carpet.

If your running shorty, try 10g either side of the cell, at the rear most point of the battery tray, and a huge thanks to Mark Lapper for his input, really helped mate, changing that roll centre was spot on!

Time to get faster and try harder, as this car really does work, very well, and as Moggers said, the rear grip the new layout and chassis generates it pretty epic!

Bests.........lee