Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 11-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Leccy 8th questions

Have been looking at maybe trying 8th but lack of pit bitch and engine knowledge has thinking maybe leccy 8th instead, so got a few questions:

1. Will any tracks/series be running leccy heats during 2009?

2. Am I right in thinking there's no defined class/rules yet?

3. Any other bespoke buggies than the D8E coming, and when is that one due out?

4. What are the simplest conversion (minimal drilling etc!) kits out and for which cars?

5. Could I use my 10th Lipo's (2 demon saddle packs) to power it, and would my receiver handle the voltage?

Sorry for all the q's, this just seems a good compromise coming from 10th to learn the different diffs/size etc without learning engines!!
Old 11-04-2009

right too answer some of the car questions.there is the losi 8-e/8-e 2.0 then theres the rc8b,caster buggy and soon truggy.for conversions i dont think you need to drill holes for any of them.novak make them so do speed passion and losi.as for batterys i dont know,im going too use 2 stick pack 7.4volt lipo packs too make a 14.8volt pack if you understand?.the B.E.C in your esc should stop your rx from getting damaged.hope this helps
Old 11-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Battery side that's cool, I'd be trying the same, anything to keep costs down until rules etc are sorted. Wonder if the RC8B is similar enough to the original for the conversion still to work? Wonder if the D8E will be out by the time the associated rc8b is!

Would probably go for a novak or speed passion approch on motors/Esc I guess, I assume even a 4.5 brushless 1/10th motor is too underpowered?
Old 11-04-2009

yea because it wouldnt be big enough motor plus most of the time you use 4 cell lipo packs and most 1/10 esc only can handle 3 cell lipo.im going with the speed passion esc and motor as well in my 8T.if you need any thing els just ask.
Old 11-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Where can the 8th-e buggies be raced? I presume nothing more than some club events.

Would like a list of clubs that are allowing these, as I am tempted too - but only if I can justify it by getting chance to abuse it often enough.

Whats the score with 8th-e truggies?
Old 11-04-2009

Default WHERE TO RACE

A couple of members at Stotfold have been running them round between heats of the 1/10, go well and myself and keith are quite willing to put on a heat as part of our normal sunday racing, we think 6 cars per heat would be about right on a 10th track. sd if you have one and want to race it give us a shout and we will try to arrange a date for all.
john
Old 11-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Might have to see if the Stoke Nitro track will allow me to play too for a local one!

Do the conversions by Novak etc fit any 8th, are there standard mounting points on the buggies for engines etc?

Smelly wise had been thinking of going Tamiya, would still do that if it's easy to convert!
Old 11-04-2009

theres different conversions for different cars.
Old 14-04-2009

Dont get the novak 1/8th esc as i have seen 2 blow within minutes. The best seems to be the mamba monster, MGM, losi etc. And motor the best are NEU or Mamba (made by NEU).

All you need to know and buy is on here

http://www.rc-monster.com/
Old 14-04-2009

Righto.

1: Most tracks allow BL 1/8th to run, but I'm not sure if any have got enough people turning up with them to run whole heats.

2: A lot of manufacturers are going to go by the ROAR rules of 4S maximum - otherwise very few rules are in place - provided that the min/max size/weight etc are the same as the nitros.

3: There is the new Hyper 9 Brushless - which moves the entire centre diff to the back and stuff - it's a new chassis too - like the D8e.
Other than that there are cars such as the Caster, the Associated(s) and the Losi which are still based largely on the nitros, but come as electrics out of the box.
Then there is the new Ishima BL, which has a purpose made chassis and allows the use of two 2S lipos, but lying down on either side of the drivetrain for a better (lower) C of G.

4: The Losi conversion kit, and the Associated conversions, are both bolt-on kits as far as I'm aware - so no drilling. Custom stuff from RC-Monster and others needs a bit more ingenuity. There are also the Tekno-RC conversions, where the chassis are custom made - very low CG, and they use a funny clutch and motor mount system which are more like the nitros - which is good if you don't like direct drive but can be a bit abrupt when accelerating out of corners.

5: If the ESC has BEC circuitry which can handle 14.8V input, then it won't fry the receiver. However if you are trying to use a 1/10 speedo, then disabling the BEC may allow you to use up to 5S without frying it (if it was capable of 3S with BEC), but you will need a separate receiver pack, or external BEC for it to work.

I would avoid the Novak Conversions as they have quite poor weight distribution on many models, though are most readily available in the UK for most models.

The Tamiya TRF801X and T would be more difficult to convert than others, as no specific motor mount is available for it, though one for a Hong Nor X1 may fit.

Truggies are good to convert as they have more room on the chassis for all the electric gubbinz that you need, and allow you to place components for the best weight distribution.

I would say that the best ESC (due to its excellent drivability for sensorless, and overall reliablilty) is the Mamba Monster. They did have problems at first (we are now on V3) but now seem pretty solid, and they have the best warranties ever. If it blows, or something then you send it back to Castle, and if it's under warranty (which a surprising amount of stuff is), they repair it for free (obviously). However (here's the really good part), when your warranty has expired, or you've done something really stupid to void your warranty, the most any repair will cost you is $70 (even if it requires a brand new ESC!). The only annoying thing about it is that it has no mounting tabs so double sided tape and cable ties are in order here - which can look a bit bodged.

The new Tekin RX8 should be really good, and not that much more expensive than the Mamba combos over here.

Phew - I think that covered most things...
Old 14-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Some good answers there Marv! I was thinking about converting my RC8?

Can you buy the Castle Creation speedo in the Uk?

Do scumacher have the speed passion speedo and motors in?

Iv seen the Ae conversion for $79.00 I take it Cml will bring it in??

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 14-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yeah cheers for the info!

Is the Losi 8th esc and motors ok, as their kit comes with them already?
Old 14-04-2009

the castle speedo is available in the uk they are imported by flightpower,it works very very well nigs was loving it at neo very easy to set up nice and user freindly and even with out any mounting lugs stayed in the car very very well the castle motor was dam good aswell
trakpower
Old 14-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I have answered one of my questions the Speed Passion gear is in stock on Sch website,£229 for combo

It's going to be a few quid to build up a BL 8th car!

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 15-04-2009

Or you could go for a truggy - http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22374
Old 15-04-2009

If you get the Speed Passion, bear in mind that:

1. You can get the same speedo by Hobbywing (the manufacturers of Speed Passion) for quite a bit less imported,

2. The motors that come with it aren't going to be particularly amazing - certainly not along the same quality lines as the Castle Motors.

The Losi Speedos are ok, but don't have as good driveability as the Mamba.

Their Motors are ok again - better than the Speed Passion (which are rebadged Feigaos - as are the LRP's) but nowhere near as good as the Castle Neus, the Neus, the Medusas (like I have), the Hackers and Lehners of this world.

The main problem with them (the cheaper motors) is that they run quite hot, which wears them out quickly, and after a while the magnets debond from the rotor.

Mark - CML will eventually bring the RC8 conversion in but it will be about £80 - £90 I'm guessing - so you may as well get it sooner by getting it from the US cheaper (even with import duty).

Mark's right, you can get the CC Mamba Monster Combo (the 2650kV one) form Flighttech, but not the 2200kV one, and you can't get the ESC on its own. Horizon do all the combos and the ESC on its own but be prepared t pay a premium over Flighttech's price.

For the price of the Speed Passion and the Losi, you may as well get the 2650kV combo and gear down (for a buggy) with 4S as it is only slightly more expensive - but is one hell of a lot better.
Old 18-04-2009

Send a message via MSN to electric

Marvin how do you find your medusa on 4s mine seems a little tame and i am thinking of running it on 5s/6s

Rc-monster gets my vote top quality conversion

i have heard too many bad things about losi esc's/ lipos to go anywhere near them
Brushless CRT - Mamba monster - Neu motor - RCPD conversion kit {for sale}
Ebay items : http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/terzo53
Old 18-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
Marvin how do you find your medusa on 4s mine seems a little tame and i am thinking of running it on 5s/6s

Rc-monster gets my vote top quality conversion

i have heard too many bad things about losi esc's/ lipos to go anywhere near them
What have you heard on the Losi stuff? I've ordered one of the Lipo's (as there seem to be so few hardcase 4S ones about) but might try Maxamps too, but still looking at the Losi buggy which comes with the esc/motor, not heard much "bad" about them myself yet, although it seems they are not the absolute best!
Old 18-04-2009

Send a message via MSN to electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
What have you heard on the Losi stuff? I've ordered one of the Lipo's (as there seem to be so few hardcase 4S ones about) but might try Maxamps too, but still looking at the Losi buggy which comes with the esc/motor, not heard much "bad" about them myself yet, although it seems they are not the absolute best!
the losi lipos puff very easily and have very poor reviews and i think they use low quality cells. maxamps overate there cells massively and really aern't worth the huge prices they charge + there cell matching is poor leading to dead cells after very short periods of time.
i would recommend true-rc lipo packs they use good cells and match them very carefully.
zippy/flightmax lipos are what i am about to buy for my buggy as i have only heard good things about them and they are very well priced (you can buy 2-3 packs for the same price as 1 maxamp/losi lipos)
Neu lipos are also highly rated along with rc-monsters own lipos

i haven't got the losi conversion kit but i like the battery/esc mount
Brushless CRT - Mamba monster - Neu motor - RCPD conversion kit {for sale}
Ebay items : http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/terzo53
Old 18-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
the losi lipos puff very easily and have very poor reviews and i think they use low quality cells. maxamps overate there cells massively and really aern't worth the huge prices they charge + there cell matching is poor leading to dead cells after very short periods of time.
i would recommend true-rc lipo packs they use good cells and match them very carefully.
zippy/flightmax lipos are what i am about to buy for my buggy as i have only heard good things about them and they are very well priced (you can buy 2-3 packs for the same price as 1 maxamp/losi lipos)
Neu lipos are also highly rated along with rc-monsters own lipos

i haven't got the losi conversion kit but i like the battery/esc mount
By puff, do they lose a cell voltage wise, or do they blow up?