Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 04-11-2015

Default fine tuning

Hi all
I'm looking to get back into rc from a 15 year break. I'm trying to decide whether to do on or off road.

How much more refined do the cars have to be set up then they did 15 years ago.

Cheers

Scott
Old 05-11-2015

That has to be the most open question there is! I returned after a near 20 year break (Pro cat and optima mid era) tried newer buggies but back in the day I raced on playgrounds/pub car parks carpeted halls so really wasn't an off roader, so I bought a TC and never really looked back, I have a SC/8th buggy custom job, Dex410, Mini, GT12, 1/12th but get the most enjoyment from the Mini and TC.
Go to as many local clubs as you can before plunging but join us 1 way or another!!!
Old 05-11-2015

I used to really enjoy TC but my favourite was rally.

I have heard that in TC now though is all down to fine tuning and setting ecu up. All it used to be was getting the right gearing and tyres, and having the right body shell. I might have to re-visit aldershot and see what's going on there.
Old 05-11-2015

I think it fair to say that all forms of r/c cars and their equipment have developed significantly over your absence and to compete even at mid-order level a high degree of reliability and some basic setup knowledge is required.

Once you get back into whatever class you choose and start chatting to fellow racers your knowledge base will undoubtedly improve along with your driving rehabilitation.

TC's are certainly complex beasts these days and have probably developed the most of all classes from their early incarnations and 4wd buggies maybe pretty much the same.
2wd buggies are taking on all sorts of configuration options to suit the track surface types and the available grip levels, so this is now a fairly complex situation with drivers owning a different chassis to suit each track type!

One class that has stayed pretty constant is 1/12 LMP, yes we have seen the introduction of brushless motors and LiPo batteries but that is true of all electric classes now. GT12 has now blossomed into a very competitive class with lots of ex-buggy and TC drivers getting involved.

So the advice already given is sound, get down to your local club and see what is going on, there is lots of advice to be gleaned very quickly if you collar the right culprits!
Old 05-11-2015

I made a come back to buggies last year from a good 20 year break. I bought a b5M when they first came out and absolutely hated it. I then bought a Yokomo B-Max 2 and then upgraded to the YZ-2 when that came out late last year. The buggies are very capable in kit set-up but no matter what class you race the faster you get the more you'll want to fiddle with settings to get the best out of it. I still have my old 1980's cars. I rebuilt my Optima Mid last winter and raced it at some local and big indoor meetings. It's capable of winning at local club meetings and it certainly doesn't come last at the big meetings. The one thing I would say has progressed for the better is radio gear and electrics. The day's of interference are gone and they're relatively hassle free if looked after.