Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a protected trade section?
No - I want it free always 11 11.70%
Yes - £5 one off fee would be fine 27 28.72%
Yes - Let me pay £5 a year to keep it safe 52 55.32%
Yes - but I don't want to pay owt 8 8.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2013
Admin

I think the whole point is the £5 is not REQUIRED, it is however an option to prove you are genuine. If people choose to trade with un verified vendors, then that is their own gamble and at their own risk.
Old 01-04-2013

I think the whole 'PayPal gift' thing is due to PayPal (or should I say Ebay it's owner) ramping up charges. To be honest Ebay is disgusting now compaired to when it first started. YHou get charged about 5% for a sale, + the insert fees then add VAT too. I sold a car recently for £220, I got only £190 out of it after ebay/Paypal took it's money. Thats a ridiculous fee if you ask me when eBay stood for general people trading when it started. But, as with all things, got big, cornered things, took over, decided what people would pay and ended up just a shop front.

Currently utilising (abusing) Durango DEX210 / KO Propo Espritt III / Tekin / LRP / SpeedPassion / Savox
Old 01-04-2013
Mad Member

Find myself agreeing with Daz on this one...................
Old 01-04-2013
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

if you add the fiver to the minimum posts as well that should cover most scammers
Old 01-04-2013

Although £5 is a small amount, you will only get those that sell through oOple on a more regular basis and probably loose those that only have the occasional or small items to sell.

Taking a small percentage of sales doesn't help either as in the case of a spammer, he's already walked away with your money. Stopping paypal gift is a good solution as it gives you some cover and sellers only need to add the extra onto the sale price beforehand if they so wish.

Another forum not related to RC but of similar size that I'm on, used to not allow anyone to sell until they had been on for 30 days and had posted at least 25 times with some worthwhile content. This does involve a bit of policing though as they can post 25 times saying hello, so their posts would need checking before allowing them to sell.

Also on the subject of the other forum I mentioned they would run the "For Sale" section much the same as this one and it was very buoyant with hundreds of sales each week from big items, to items costing pennies. They decided to move on and use one of the marketplace sale sections which took a percentage. Over a short period of time it had lost the small sale items and became a more trade section or for regular sellers and basically lost all its appeal as somewhere to sell/buy those bargains.
Associated RC10's, RC10T, B2 & T2
Kyosho Ultima XL
Losi JRX2, JRX Pro & Pro SE
Yokomo YZ10 94

The Veterans Inner Circle. Sponsored with Pot Noodle and Tunnocks.
Old 01-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Tricky one this Jimmy.

I've bought and sold lots on oOple - but not really used the trader feedback - i've never asked for it and only recently saw someone had posted a bit for me. Maybe it's just me, but for occasional seller (like me) - I have very little feedback even though i've sold loads.

High post count is good - or maybe you just need to be voted 'trusted' by other members - start by 'trusting' the main guys you know Jimmy and then they can trust others - like a pyramid scheme

No worries paying the trader fee - but as mentioned it's not really a deterrent unless you are asking for real proof of identity which will be a huge job to manage / process.

Bloody nightmare - if people want to scam folk they will always find a way mate

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 01-04-2013

Just my view, paying a fiver to scam someone of £250 wouldn't really put someone off I think, on landrover zone, another forum I go on they have a minimum posts rule which generally deters any scammers, I like the idea of the postcode idea as suggested before. How about having a reference from a trusted member as most of the new members have been referred here by someone from their racing club
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 01-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys View Post
Tricky one this Jimmy.

I've bought and sold lots on oOple - but not really used the trader feedback - i've never asked for it and only recently saw someone had posted a bit for me. Maybe it's just me, but for occasional seller (like me) - I have very little feedback even though i've sold loads.

High post count is good - or maybe you just need to be voted 'trusted' by other members - start by 'trusting' the main guys you know Jimmy and then they can trust others - like a pyramid scheme

No worries paying the trader fee - but as mentioned it's not really a deterrent unless you are asking for real proof of identity which will be a huge job to manage / process.

Bloody nightmare - if people want to scam folk they will always find a way mate

Not sure if this is what you were trying to get at but what about your username is a different colour depending on how many other members vote you to be a good trader and a trusted member
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 01-04-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg View Post
I don't see the fee putting them off,how about the first 20 items have to pay into an oople account,once the item is recieved then you send the funds,that would put them off
This is a great idea but i think it tasks jimmy with too much to deal with. The other issue I see is the people who have earned trust will still need to pay the fee. I dont think I fully understand the process you have in mind though.

Pay fee along with proof of address and id? Dont get me wrong, ive sold stuff on here and ebay and would easily pay a fiver. I just think a lot wont.

If I were you Jimmy I think i would remove this thread and just announce that its coming into effect in x weeks. You might get a better idea of who, if any wont be happy
Old 01-04-2013

Just my pov, but i gotta say if i knew i was gonna scam someone for anything over £20 then a one off payment of £5 is nothing. Id pay it if i was a scammer.

Personally i think unless you lock it down crazy levels then you are never going to beat it, and it would be better to not have a trade section, and just let people use ebay instead. Sure you have fees, but at least you get protection of some form.

Assuming the trade section will stay i would say:
  • Ban listing items are buyer pays fees or gift
  • Pictures in adverts must have bit of paper showing name, username, and date
  • Postage tracking numbers must be provided - no standard postage

Even then, policing the section would be a full time job, and Jimmy etc give enough time to this site, they cant be expected to do that as well.
Old 01-04-2013
Administrator

I don't just think it'd put someone off, I also think it'd totally stop it. The more HE knows the more he changes - I can't post up what I know but do you really think this dickhead would pay £5 to be looked into? hahahaha. NO!

I've banned him before he's made a single post before several times - the fact he wants to be recognised as a legit person would ensure I looked at him and ensure he merely lost his money.

If you define scam as someone sending something late, something getting lost in the post (I have something clear customs on the 22nd - still no sight of it) etc then that will always happen. People disagree on condition of items etc. Obviously I'm not talking about this - but about 5 people got offered things from this guy and at least one guy who I've already contacted has paid him.

Gift or not, I don't think it matters. Has anyone got money back via paypal outside of Ebay? Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 01-04-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by s22jgs View Post
Just my pov, but i gotta say if i knew i was gonna scam someone for anything over £20 then a one off payment of £5 is nothing. Id pay it if i was a scammer.

Won't happen.
Old 01-04-2013

unfortunately yes. i had someone claim back for something they said hadnt arrived. partly my fault as i forgot to give them the tracking code and lost the receipt. Found it months later after paypal had refunded him to find it was actually delivered.

live and learn i guess.

I guess it really depends what you mean when you say "looked into". If i pay my £5, what is looked into? What does a paypal account being verified mean exactly? maybe that could be something to go by?

Is there some kind of ebay style add in for the forum where people can build up a feedback rating on top of paying a one off/yearly fee?
Old 01-04-2013
Mad Member

How about if your good/bad feedback numbers showed next to your user name? You could then see how many trades someone has done and how many users have been happy with the trade easily.

You could add oople friends too.

Something like

SAMD - Trader score +10/-0 - Oople friends 7 -
Old 01-04-2013

I think a bage of trust is a good idea working on a minimun of senior member plus proof of a brca number and club membership that way others will know the person plus the brca have details
Old 01-04-2013

We had similar problems with a massive (50,000 + users) car forum where people were constantly getting scammed left right and centre. Big money sometimes on Turbos and expensive difficult to find parts.

We thought long and hard about it and ended up making the for sale section only able to post if you have signed up. Now i know you have to register to use the forum but VBulletin allows many tiers of registration. We allowed the for sale section open to view to non-registered users, (google bots etc trawl every part of the forum so this is a two-fold reason). However to sell through the forum you had to be signed up with by supplying valid details and paying a small contribution for the privilege.

Scamming dropped by 90% within a week - yes you can still get caught but limiting the site liability in that is half the battle. Its a difficult line to walk but i believe a one off small fee is definately the way to go
Old 01-04-2013
Administrator

I can't tell you what would be looked into sorry.
Old 01-04-2013

I've been conn ed out of £100 on another forum i go on, i payed the normal way and i managed to get the money back, it just takes about 2 months to get it back. I only noticed it was a con after a week of no replies and he got banned within 10 minutes if receiving my money which i didn't notice until it was too late!

There is no way of stopping the scammers, all you can do is slow them down by adding things like fees, feedback scores, minimum posts etc...
Old 01-04-2013
Mad Member

I must admit, I don't look at seller feedback, normally I check to see how many posts/friends and when they joined... These give me a good idea of whether they have anything to loose by screwing me over...

The PM selling thing wouldn't really be stopped by the fee, so I think people need to use their common sense and think before sending money if some random newly joined user with no friends offers them goods... its a scammer!!!

It also begs the question, if a sale went wrong what would the badge of trust actually mean? (for example something lost in the post) who would be liable?

Would you loose this trust mark if some goods didn't arrive?
Old 01-04-2013
Administrator

I think the usual process is to claim from royal mail. If someone can't explain their actions sure - they can lose their status. I've had people complain about being scammed - when they weren't at all.

If someone PM's you (they HAVE TO PM YOU TO BUY SOMETHING) then yes - their status is obvious. Same as if they PM to sell you something.