Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 29-03-2007

Send a message via MSN to grindog

Cheers for that. I will start with that but would prefer a oneway and due my lack or preparation, will not have one now Oh well, we shall see!
Old 29-03-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
he's ace, he used to scare me - in fact he still does. but he's the man when it comes to stuff like that.

I agree, I didn't originially 'get' Roger, I know recognise the banter and give as good as I get.

He also did a blinding job of making some battery hold downs for the prototype X6's in no time at all, I was very gratefull!

He also does a grand job of running Bury - respect!

Nortech is ACE!
Old 01-04-2007
Stu-Perstar

Over the last few races with the car I have been running the alloy blocks on the front so I can adjust the height of the front outer ball stud. The car has not been as great as normal and I was understanding why, me and Jimmy checked to see if they were any different and nothing. I put the old plastic ones back on and WOW. I dont know why the difference but WHAT a difference.
Old 01-04-2007
Administrator

I think we need to have another test with them for sure, but woody definitely felt a difference with the plastic blocks going back on the car.
a few people had a look, and the 'standard setting' of the alloy blocks is virtually identical to the kit plastic blocks (ball position, castor) but for some reason it just didn't go as well.
Old 01-04-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

More unsprung weight...
Old 01-04-2007
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

get the scales out boyos!
Old 01-04-2007
Administrator

You only need to look to see the obvious weight differences - the Alloy ones are big! I'd not have thought the unsprung weight would make that much difference, but maybe it does.
The Alloy blocks are certainly stronger and offer some great tuning options simply not available on the plastic (non adjustable) blocks.
Old 04-04-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Anti Roll Bars

Hi Guys,

Are these a useful upgrade for the 501x? Its been literally 10 -15 years since I did outdoor buggies, I kinda assumed anti roll bars would be not much use outside, but I am clueless on setups so can anyone suggest anything?

At the moment I am using the 50x in pretty much standard kit setup.

Dave
Old 04-04-2007
Administrator

Antiroll bars can be useful - just depends on the track. I've not seen a need for the antiroll bars on this car so far, running on fairly high traction tracks also.
Old 08-04-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Vague front end

Hi guys,

hoping someone can help, have been running the 501 since January, indoor and outdoor, and I am having one consistent issue with the handling.

No matter what shock springs or geometry in terms of toe in/cambers etc I use, I struggle to get the car round tight turns, and also find I need to transfer the weight incredibly precisely in order to get turn in. Also sometimes it seems to wander off the the outside of the track like there is not enough lock.

Basically what I am wondering is whether it could be down to the following:

1. I have only run a diff in the front, not a one way.

2. I have been using the kit servo saver (I have a metal geared servo so could probably do without).

Can anyone advise me on these, or whether it is likely down to anything else?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 08-04-2007
Stu-Perstar

[quote=DaveG28;32332]Hi guys,

hoping someone can help, have been running the 501 since January, indoor and outdoor, and I am having one consistent issue with the handling.

No matter what shock springs or geometry in terms of toe in/cambers etc I use, I struggle to get the car round tight turns, and also find I need to transfer the weight incredibly precisely in order to get turn in. Also sometimes it seems to wander off the the outside of the track like there is not enough lock.

Basically what I am wondering is whether it could be down to the following:

Hi mate. This depends on what sort of tracks you race on(dirt or other)? I have only ran with a 1 way diff in the front and have never had short of turn in or drift off line either. This is the reason I fell in love with this car. For tight corners this car will pivot on a sixpence piece if you ask it to and with out lose of control. I have played with the alloy front caster blocks but for me the standard ones are better. By all means reply and let me know about your tracks and I will try my best to help you.
Old 08-04-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Thanks for the reply!

Hi Woody,

I have had this on carpet and grass.

I have not ried running a one way yet, will this help to improve the front end grip?

Also, is there any chance the servo saver I am using is not quite strong enough?

I guess a good example of how it feels is that in most cars I have run if you progressively bring speed off whilst having steering lock on then they tightens their line, however with my 501x its like I need to transfer the weight to the front suddenly and with brakes applied to achieve this.

Look forward to hearing your feedback on this!

Cheers,

Dave
Old 08-04-2007

The servo saver is a problem on high grip tracks. I noticed this when i ran on an astro track. Since you said you run on grass and carpet, I'm guessing using a fixed servo arm will propably solve a lot of the discribed problems. I tied a zip tie around the stock servo saver and the car felt noticably more solid in high speed turns. Try this. It's a small and fast fix and check if this solves your problems.

untill now, I used a front diff, mainly because my front oneway hadn't arrived yet. A front oneway will generally make the car steer sharper.
Old 08-04-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

I used mine at coventry grass track today with the one way fitted, std servo saver with no cable tie and found the steering good.
Try the one way, i prefer mine.
good luck
Old 08-04-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Coventry

Hi Griff,

Its Dave, I was also at Coventry in your heat I think!

I think I will definitely get a one way, it seems it will be a help in sorting out my only major issue with the car, even if its not the actual cause!

Cheers,

Dave
Old 08-04-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Hope it sorts it out!
got home at 8.45
If you dont get one for next bcl, your welcome to have a go with mine. hope to be there
Old 09-04-2007

Send a message via MSN to jasonrcb

hi guys
i was also at coventry yesterday and i have found the 1 way suits the car better and i find it has improved it. i did have a suprise yesterday i snapped a shock shaft mind with the help of a driver going the wrong but other than that the car is superb and i ran a checkpoint 9x2 with no overheating problem like others seemed to be suffering with.
Old 09-04-2007
Stu-Perstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Hi Woody,

I have had this on carpet and grass.

I have not ried running a one way yet, will this help to improve the front end grip?

Also, is there any chance the servo saver I am using is not quite strong enough?

I guess a good example of how it feels is that in most cars I have run if you progressively bring speed off whilst having steering lock on then they tightens their line, however with my 501x its like I need to transfer the weight to the front suddenly and with brakes applied to achieve this.

Look forward to hearing your feedback on this!

Cheers,

Dave

Yes i have also put a tie rap aound the servo saver to make it tighter. This may be all your problem. It is weak. I ran mine at southport yesterday and everybody said how good it looked and how much faster around the track it looked conpaired to the losi's. No it wasnt the fastest down the straight but round the track nothing could keep up with it. Some of the other drivers has some fast laps but they could not keep them up. The 501X is SO planted and SO safe it gives you so much confidence you can be consistant and fast.
Yes the one way will also help with front end grip but please be carefull as it is a bit hairy.
Old 09-04-2007

O Amen on the hairy front, had to go back to running the diff yesterday, as it didnt give me enough feel before the car let go completely. We had 3 501's running yesterday at the regional with mixed results, I got 1st in the D, another guy got 2nd in the B, and another got 3rd in the A in his first offroad regional, after only 6-7 meetings in offroad, which I thought was a stunning result.
Come to the blue side and feel the love!!
Old 09-04-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFF55 View Post
Hope it sorts it out!
got home at 8.45
If you dont get one for next bcl, your welcome to have a go with mine. hope to be there
Ouch, thats a long day you had there mate! Don't think I am making it to Ledbury but will try to do some of the later BCL rounds, will also be doing the next regional again if your there?

I see from these posts I'm not the only one who had an issue with a driver going the wrong way, so I have a front arm/suspension shaft to change, and have found a bent rear shock shaft and turnbuckle. Hopefully changing those will make it jump as straight as it used to!

On the front end, think I will definitely get rid of the servo saver (I have a hitec metal geared servo) and run a fixed horn and see if that helps. Have also ordered a front one way, though I don't get on with them in touring cars! Have to say though, the 501 has been a dream other than that one issue, definitely going to stick with it!

Does anyone know where I can get shock shafts from for this car?

Cheers,

Dave