Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 25-09-2012

Thought I would throw my hat in the ring as a newbie.

My experience as a newcomer to the sport is hugely positive and that has been down to the organisers and more experienced racers at the clubs I have raced at. But I would say that the first few races and meetings were a blur of confusion and over load of information and I am sure that this has led to maybe some perceived poor manners as I dealt with my own shortcomings as a driver and frustrations at breaking stuff and crashing/getting crashed into etc.

As I have got more experienced (notice I do not say better ) I can absorb the whole event much better and appreciate the quality of marshaling, race control etc etc. In fact I have had a go at manual lap counting in RC and I take my hat off to all who do it regularly, its tough and requires a lot of concentration.

So for myself and I am sure all the other newbies out there, we do appreciate RC and all you do, sorry if we forget to say so!
Old 25-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiejuk View Post
Well I have done race control for over ten years and have heard it and seen it all. Even once had a transponder chucked at me for not sorting out someone interference problem, despite changing other people crystals so there was no-one in the whole meeting even on the same band and anywhere near the only crystal he had turned up to race with . He soon came and put the transponder back in the rack after I reminded him they cost 80 pounds each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiejuk View Post

As a race controller you are expected by most people to:
  • time laps to perfection
  • Put them in the top heat because they don't believe the ability that has been set for them by the computer
  • watch every car on the track at the same time
  • remind them that they are on
  • hold the whole meeting up because they have forgotten to change a battery in the hour they have had between races
  • post the results up so that they can read them before go out and marshal
  • remind people what number they are at the start of each race
  • tell them what colour handout transponder they are using for the fourth time that day
  • remind them to put back said transponder after they have used it
  • Pick up that they have put the same number transponder that they have been using all day despite being a different number in the final.
  • make sure that they are not held up in their qualifying run even for a millisecond
  • Make sure a marshal attends to their car before it has ended up on its roof
  • Make sure that the track (despite being three meters wide all the way round) is wide enough because they can't get the corner on to the straight right.
  • make sure that if a ramp is used on track that is the perfect angle, width, length etc...

I could go on but I have had most of these on a regular basis. As people have said before constructive criticism is good, if there is a definate problem then we can deal with it there and then. Personally I would rather people came up to me and told me problems so we can sort them out and look into if they need doing. The people I can't stand are the people who don't say a word all day, and then come on a public forum the same evening or the day after and list minor problems which could have easily been sorted.

At the end of the day us Race directors put a lot of time and effort into providing a race meeting for people to turn up and race at. We are all volunteers who don't get paid for it and we do it because we want to and not because we have to, and also either don't get to race or effect our own racing because of it.

SI you stepped in at the last minute, to put on a race meeting and you succeeded to run a race meeting which is what you were asked to do. If you hadn't have done that nobody would have got to race that day.

It's a shame that people have moaned at you especially as you had given up a Sunday to run the race meeting, which you had planned to do other things on. Unfortunatley, despite your best efforts things will always happen out of the ordinary that is out of your control. Don't take people moaning to heart, People moan for the sake of moaning.

Great post Rob, I have to agree with all of this as an RD thats being doing it for 10 if not 15 years... could'nt have put it better myself
Old 25-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I chuckled at that list too.

As I said, its not really Sundays comment that struck me (BTW I had made the situation clear, he was there with someone who is a member and knows quite well the situation anyway so it was directly aimed at my efforts. But then he and the guy he was with complained about practically everything.) because its something I've heard enough before, just not about me. So I'm not taking anything personally from it.

It was just the way it was ignored that without someone stepping in there would have been no meeting at all. Now with a new baby on the way I won't be able to do that so much in future, and I'd like to recruit a few others to help out but stuff like this doesn't really encourage does it!

Anyway, thanks for the support.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 25-09-2012

TBH as a relative newbie (12 months ish) there is nothing i hate more than people moaning, especially at club events. I can understand more at a regional or national event when expectations would probably be higher, but at a 'normal' club event its meant to be a bit of fun.

Some people do take toy cars way to seriously sometimes.

Hates off to all that are involved as a RD or as a committee member of any club, it all takes time and effort and usually away from your family or other commitments so fair play to all
Old 25-09-2012

Default Thankless Task

I have only done the job as race controller for a season and I can say without a shadow of a doubt.

ITS A HARD AND THANKLESS JOB

That said I did really enjoy it !

I would like to thank ALL of the race controllers I have ever had the pleasure to race under. You all do a great job and without any of you we would all be bashing in the local park.