Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 07-01-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

i liked the straight in the middle like how basildon had it, otherwise in front of the rostrum.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 07-01-2011
oOple Advertiser

Straight diagonally corner to corner works well as it normally needs marshalling less which means less obstructions from marshalls on the infield. Works particularly well for indoor tracks where space is tight and you can normally extend the length of the straight using this method.

Other than that I prefer the straight at the back and any jumps, features etc to be nearer the rostrum but not directly under it for the reason that Dan has already pointed out
Old 07-01-2011

i have only raced on tracks with the straight infront of the rostrum, i would say the location of the jumps is more important than the straight, you need a clear line of sight and i prefer the jumps running across me or going away/towards me this way i find it easyer to hit my line
www.plymouthrc.co.uk
Plymouth RC Think You Can Drive 2010 - 3rd Place
Old 07-01-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartalec View Post
Straight diagonally corner to corner works well as it normally needs marshalling less which means less obstructions from marshalls on the infield. Works particularly well for indoor tracks where space is tight and you can normally extend the length of the straight using this method.
Interestingly...maybe?!?!...extending the length by this method is normally only true when you have a cross over jumping over the straight! Otherwise you end up shortening the diagonal to get the return track around one end of it! The other thing it does is to put sharper corners at either end of the straight too, but that's not always a bad thing.

Good thread though...good comments being made for both options. I hadn't considered the field of vision part of it before!
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 07-01-2011

For me it all depends on the height of the rostrum...

At Batley Spenborough track for instance, the drivers position is on the top of a steel container with fantastic views of the whole track, so straight position is not relevant...

On a regular or lower height rostrum I prefer the tech sections nearer with the straightaway at the far side... I usually put myself at one end or the other of the rostrum, this depends on where I feel I need a better view of a tricky part...

I also prefer the trackside a fair distance away from the base of the rostrum not butted right up against it...
Old 07-01-2011
oOple Advertiser

Bit off topic but at Robin Hood I have a problem with the rostrum having the front (bit you stand behind) too high. With a steerwheel I have to hold it at a higher point that i'm used too so it makes it uncomfortable and unnatural. For this reason I have to stand on one of their crates, not the best in my opinion. Much as I love the track, the rostrum sucks LOL

Anyway, back on topic
Old 07-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

How about no straight at all????

Well not quite, but a few shorter ones, maybe 3 in total on a track? Not really seen taht done many times but as long as there's a decent area of the track to run a start grid from, do you really need a long massive straight at every track??

Personally i always prefered having a straight at the back with all the corners and tight sections closer to the rostrum as over-taking etc can be better as you can see clearer.....

Tracks with a raised back section though like Stotfold are ok as you can see the back areas nice and clearly anyway i guess.
Old 07-01-2011

It's just a matter of correct track-design.

If the straight is in the back it needs to be wide enough to compensate for the lack of vision for the oldtimers (and yes I'm nearly one of them), and it allowes for the hard bits to be close to the rostrum. But like stated before, you need to work out that every one van see all the on- and offramps properly

To make a straight in front of the rostrum you have to take in account that if something happens on the straight there is very little time to react for the drivers. e.g. If there entering the straight on the left they wont know anything is up (apart for breaking noises and some screaming) until the car has passed under them, only then will they start looking to the right. There for, ideally, their should be some room between the rostrum and the track and the 1st corner should be about 6 meters after the rostrum has ended so the last one on the rostrum still has time to position the car for that corner
Old 07-01-2011
Mad Member

i like it next to the rostrum unless its very high like at wombwell even though there its infront of you its easier to see the far side of the track.
Old 07-01-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy truman View Post
think its just easier in offroad 8th to have front straight because of pit ramp.. onroad tracks just have a layby

Layby

I think it could be that circuit cars are going into corners at end of the straight flat out so up to 80mph and likely on the outside of the track.

If you think of slough etc you exit pit lane onto the hairpin so everyone is similar speed.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 07-01-2011

I prefer the straight to be at the back because when I lose the back end and crash I won't hit the rostrum
Old 07-01-2011

Awsome thread guys! thanks for all the commets
Old 07-01-2011
Mad Member

the best tracks we had at Newbury had the straight at the back & i think the one everyone liked the most had the kicker jump right in front of the rostrum