Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Surrey & Hants RCCC

Old 05-01-2015
SHRCCC Legend

Default Time to stand down...

A brief history of time and buggies.

I came back to RC racing in 2010, having had two children and getting that much valued social time back – time to myself after I sold up in 1996 to buy a home. I raced a few times at Taplow and Torch with my new B4.1 but the journey time really put me off. I decided to take matters into my own hands and locate a suitable venue and the rebirth of Surrey and Hants Radio Control Car Club.

On the 22nd of March 2011 I found what was to be our home for two years in Bagshot Lea near Farnham. The idea was simple – Simple Rostrum and Piping with a track running on grass. Like the good old days. The club was born along with many purchases, Lawnmower, strimmer, Generators, Unit Hire, Gazebo’s Laptop, BBK, and lots of other ‘stuff’ that you need. Deals where I could and new stuff when needed.

We also used this venue for winter indoor racing on a small but exciting little track which saw some mega jumping trucks on many occasions.

Relationships were forged in 2011 and many I am very pleased to be able to call great friends, at the track and more importantly away from it.

Just under two years at the Farnham site and we were pushing to redevelop the grass and replace with hardcore and astro turf. Pushing this was too much for the site owners to take on and the result was we had to leave – which at the time was a bolt from the blue, but they now wanted the land for storage.

Where could we go?

After a bit of searching, driving and knocking on doors we hit the jackpot. Tarmac based track to lay astro on to with showers, toilets and floodlights – perfection. Within a month we were off and everything was relocated to Farnborough, 7 miles up the road.

Nearly two years on there is now time for another change. I have taken the decision to step down from the club I had once created from scratch. There are a few reasons why I have taken this momentous decision. My businesses have expanded and in 2015 there should be further growth, something that will take both my time and dedication – something that running a club like SHRCCC needs and requires.

Most will know that Richard Hamme of JE Models was a 50% owner of the club, he will now become the sole entity. Richard will take a hands on role and I believe the shop will play a role trackside.

SHRCCC has reached a point where it needs a new director, new drive and new input of emotion and passion. 4 years takes its toll! It’s time for others to step up and I really truly think that there are a few candidates that will do this and push things forward so ‘we’ can evolve from our very strong base.

Club membership is at its highest, we have the best track surface and facilities we’ve ever had and we hold some of the South’s leading race meetings to BRCA standards – as well as our own winter and Summer Series’, Reedy and GP meetings. There’s no other outdoor site quite like SHRCCC. Premier league floodlights, hand standing, power and parking for all.

The club is only as good as its regular racers, we have plenty of those. From the casual budget racer, Regional 1/10th Champions, National A Finalists and European Champs - I’ve seen them all at the club I love.

SHRCCC sees itself entering the 3rd regeneration now, new track surface is being laid and a big clean up planned. Removal of track overlaps and multiple jumps ready to receive the next generation of computer designed and fabricated metal and wooded features.

The future is bright. The club has a strong committee and leadership in place who are always developing and pushing forward on and off track. Our racers have been ever present at the regional for the last 3 years and put in some stella performances. In 2014 we took to largest away section to all venue. Very proud indeed. We travelled.

I’m very much looking forward to visiting Surrey and Hants RCCC and other tracks around the area as a racer, seeing friends and having a laugh without any of the race director politics. However, having no ties means I might be able to speak my mind at last – be warned!!

Club Owners and Race Directors get very little praise and thanks - We do it for the love of the sport. Just think of a world without race directors or those people who decide to run a club. Where would you race?

I hope you’ll all get behind the 2015 Surrey and Hants and look forward to seeing you trackside very soon.

Thank you to all who came to race at the club, whether it be a one off meeting or a regular, it’s been fun creating such a great place and atmosphere to race.

Listen for the beeps.

Neil
Old 05-01-2015

You have done a great job to bring the club to where it is today and believe me I know how hard it is to achieve that.

Sad news to hear this as you have to me always brought fun to the meetings in one way or another. yes the 'Race Director' title does take a very large toll on you.

As you said the club is currently rebuilding and it's looking good to go forward. Hope they can keep your standards high

Wish you all the best Neal.

Last edited by Sam Mughal; 05-01-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2015

I wish you all the best ,It wont be the same without you at the mic .

I hope the club stays as family friendly as it is at the moment .

I'm looking forward to racing again now my Thursday nights are free again !.

all the best

Gary
Old 06-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobson1970 View Post
I wish you all the best ,It wont be the same without you at the mic .

I hope the club stays as family friendly as it is at the moment .

I'm looking forward to racing again now my Thursday nights are free again !.

all the best

Gary
Agreed