Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 15-08-2011
Banned

See, now it's clear that's what you meant I fully agree, but your previous post looked like you undermined bury members some what.

which unfortunately for bury does happen from some non committee members trying to run the show themselves.
Old 16-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainlip View Post
How can you even say this when you know nothing? I've extensive IT experience and included in my CV is over 3 years working with British aero space IT support department (CSC Preston), so a laptop and basic timing system are hardly a challenge!

Tbh SI I find your whole judgement of people highly naieve considering your role as a teacher! If you wish to be the one that decides who and who isn't "qualified" for use of the timing system by all means go ahead, but it's a shame you feel me and Matt are so unskilled to using a timing system, next time I'll drop my CV in for you to actually see what I'm capable of!

You have raced with us about 10 times lippy and Coleman about 6 yes so you are known to the club but your hardly a super loyal raced every weekend bury member. does that mean I trust you no or does anyone else apart from Coleman and minke??? No

It makes me laugh that you have been with the club 10 mins but think you deserve the respect of someone who's been commited to the club for 10 years Are you that stupid???

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 16-08-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfish View Post
You have raced with us about 10 times lippy and Coleman about 6 yes so you are known to the club but your hardly a super loyal raced every weekend bury member. does that mean I trust you no or does anyone else apart from Coleman and minke??? No

It makes me laugh that you have been with the club 10 mins but think you deserve the respect of someone who's been commited to the club for 10 years Are you that stupid???
You need to start getting your figures right dave numbers don't seem your strong point
Old 16-08-2011
Banned

Just to be clear...

I wouldn't want the liability either way. All i was offering was helping with race control. "Helping" being the crucial word.

As for the space, There would be plenty of space for storage etc... no worry about that. Also the Unit itself is in a Mill, So the Unit could hold the track and pit in the corridor, (Which is massive too!) so either way i think it could be as big as Coney Green if not bigger. The track could stay down too because the unit is empty, there would be alot more you could do with the track also because you wouldn't have to worrie about packing up.

I'm speaking to the guy today to see what he thinks.
Old 16-08-2011
Banned

Ok...

What used to be millennium raceway is available.

Its 6K SQ FT, So its quite big! Ample storage and space for pitting.
They would be looking for about £150 for the day, including electric.

Its currently empty so its there for the taking.

I can get in and take some pictures if need be.

Let me know guys!!
Old 16-08-2011
Banned

Excellent work Matt!
Old 16-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ok, quick rough number crunching:

Typical Goshen weekend gets 3-4 heats of 6-9 cars - somewhere between 20 and 30 drivers on average. The vast majority are members and pay £5 to race.

Now at £150 for a day we would need 30 minimum at a fiver just to break even. Its feasible, but its tight. If we up the price, say to £7 for members, we would only need 21, which is viable even for a quiet week. But how would people feel about that? Its still a lot cheaper than Chadderton.
Another option which has been talked about before is variable pricing - in theory its £5 but if we are short you might be asked to put a little extra in. Remember the clubs funds are to buy useful stuff like generators, track hose and transponders, not to bail out no show meetings!

I reckon there is real potential here - but not perhaps every week. No point clashing with Chadderton cos we'd run at a loss that week.

As for leaving the track up - I'd envision an indoor version of our outdoor system ie rostrum up, carpet down but track markers and loop only set out on raceday. It just allows more freedom to vary the track layout if we start each meeting with a blank canvas.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 16-08-2011

Default winter racing

so is the owner up for letting the club use the unit when you want does he not want a lease signing and a monthly rent cos at 150 a day thats alot of rent if he gets someone to rent it full time he would be kicking the club out
Old 16-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post

Typical Goshen weekend gets 3-4 heats of 6-9 cars - somewhere between 20 and 30 drivers on average. The vast majority are members and pay £5 to race.

Now at £150 for a day we would need 30 minimum at a fiver just to break even. Its feasible, but its tight. If we up the price, say to £7 for members, we would only need 21, which is viable even for a quiet week. But how would people feel about that? Its still a lot cheaper than Chadderton.
Another option which has been talked about before is variable pricing - in theory its £5 but if we are short you might be asked to put a little extra in. Remember the clubs funds are to buy useful stuff like generators, track hose and transponders, not to bail out no show meetings!

I reckon there is real potential here - but not perhaps every week. No point clashing with Chadderton cos we'd run at a loss that week.

As for leaving the track up - I'd envision an indoor version of our outdoor system ie rostrum up, carpet down but track markers and loop only set out on raceday. It just allows more freedom to vary the track layout if we start each meeting with a blank canvas.
You got a pm Si!!!

Old 16-08-2011

Guys if you can sort it so that touring cars will be able to run you're on to a winner. There are no clubs doing TCs in or around Manchester and there will be a large number of people that want to race them!

*EDIT* apart from Cheadle of course
Old 16-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Guys if you can sort it so that touring cars will be able to run you're on to a winner. There are no clubs doing TCs in or around Manchester and there will be a large number of people that want to race them!

*EDIT* apart from Cheadle of course
I didn't realise you was only in Stockport chris

Old 16-08-2011

Yep! Home of the famous Cheadle End!
Old 16-08-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by les View Post
so is the owner up for letting the club use the unit when you want does he not want a lease signing and a monthly rent cos at 150 a day thats alot of rent if he gets someone to rent it full time he would be kicking the club out
We rent 5 units at this place so we spend a fair few quid, The unit is empty, so its £150 better off for them. Its been empty for abut 2 years now.

Mainly because there is a slope on one side. (Not an issue for us.)
so if they did get an offer of a permanent lease yes we would have to move, but its very very unlikely.

The offer is there on the table. Ive done what i can do.

If its if interest to the club let me know.
Old 16-08-2011

Default if you raced Wed nights....

Quote:

...there would be no clashing and I as there in NO mid week racing in the NW at all I reackon you could charge £7 AND get more than 21. How many used to be at RR on a regular basis - must have been more then 20? (Sorry to bang on about Weds nights - its my only option!)
Old 16-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

OK, so to sum up....

We've got somewhere we can race micros, and somewhere we can run touring cars....

I completely get the touring car point, but I've never liked running the two types on one track. Too much faffing with layouts, removing jumps etc. And Roundabout never had more than a handful. It might help if we were only a few short on numbers but likely more trouble than its worth.

Anyway, several options are being researched, so at this stage we are just talking options.
What I would propose is that we run no more than 1 indoor meeting a month - it keeps numbers up and avoids clashing with other series. And if people are up for it, we can run outdoors the rest of the time. In effect Goshen is paid for, so running there just costs us some genny fuel, which means as long as there are enough people to run a meeting (8-10) we can race. If there really are 10 or more foolhardy wintery souls out there, we can do some outdoor meetings - all I'm after is an alternative for those who prefer not to get frostbite!
I believe this is how Southport do it too.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 16-08-2011

Quote:
OK, so to sum up....

We've got somewhere we can race micros, and somewhere we can run touring cars....

I completely get the touring car point, but I've never liked running the two types on one track. Too much faffing with layouts, removing jumps etc. And Roundabout never had more than a handful. It might help if we were only a few short on numbers but likely more trouble than its worth.

Anyway, several options are being researched, so at this stage we are just talking options.
What I would propose is that we run no more than 1 indoor meeting a month - it keeps numbers up and avoids clashing with other series. And if people are up for it, we can run outdoors the rest of the time. In effect Goshen is paid for, so running there just costs us some genny fuel, which means as long as there are enough people to run a meeting (8-10) we can race. If there really are 10 or more foolhardy wintery souls out there, we can do some outdoor meetings - all I'm after is an alternative for those who prefer not to get frostbite!
I believe this is how Southport do it too.
Old 16-08-2011
Banned

I'm up for outdoors too!

I've got a tent now boys! so bring on some hardcore racing!
I reckon twice a month would be better, You don't want people to loose interest.

(By the way, for indoors, I was not suggesting to run Touring Cars, just that it had been used for Touring Car, So we could run our 1/10 buggy's)
Old 16-08-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleman758 View Post
I'm up for outdoors too!

I've got a tent now boys! so bring on some hardcore racing!
I reckon twice a month would be better, You don't want people to loose interest.

(By the way, for indoors, I was not suggesting to run Touring Cars, just that it had been used for Touring Car, So we could run our 1/10 buggy's)
I'll sort the heating out for the tango tent unless you fancy lighting up some lipos again when it gets nippy
Old 16-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Don't forget that the Chadderton and Worksop series are massive so tend to deplete numbers. Furthermore they are pricy so folks don't attend many 'minor' meetings inbetween.
If you check other peoples winter calendars I suspect you'll find we couldn't really go more than once every 3-4 weeks. Certainly that was the frequency last winter when we did the same thing.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 16-08-2011
Banned

I think the sensible answer here, is just go outdoors. If its only once a month. there shouldn't be a massive issue.

People just need to man up! (and buy a tent!)