Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 22-10-2012

Default Strange clicking noise [DEX410R]

Well I am experiencing an odd clicking noise on my Dex410R.

At first it would only happen when landing from a jump, or on a very hard acceleration on the carpet parts of the track (The rest is clay.)

By the end of the day it would happen anywhere, even on light accelerations. I noticed a huge decrease in power too, so I know for a fact that something is slipping. It would not click even at the end of the day if I held if off the ground and accelerated.

That being said though I have taken about the front and rear diffs, everything looks fine. check my gear mesh even put in a new spur and pinion with no luck. Tried a very tight mesh and a loose mesh and still had the clicking problem.

I took apart my slipper to see if anything was wrong but everything is looking good.

When I tried running just the front driveshaft to the slipper assembly without the rear one attached, it did not click. When I switched this around with the rear hooked in place it clicked.

This has me thinking its the rear diff but I have taken it totally apart and cannot find any issues.

If anyone has any tips on what the problem might be it would be greatly appreciated
Old 22-10-2012
Mad Member

Main diff bevel gear
The large one in your rear gearbox
HTH's
Old 22-10-2012

Check the bearings as the gear mesh may be slipping under acceleration, also have a check of the outdrives
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 22-10-2012

As HPI said, check all the bearings. Get a pencil and for the small bearings, place one at a time over the pointy end. press down firmly and rotate. If you hear or feel any resistance or it feels dry, then replace. For the larger out drive ones, you can just use you thumb. Each time I have had a clicking noise, it has always been a bearing. Hope this helps.
Sworkz UK Team driver
Orca
Old 22-10-2012

Diff gear mesh would be where I would be looking. This is not just shimming, but also the amount of play the bearings have in the gearbox housing, as this can cause the skipping.
Old 22-10-2012
Mad Member

Last time i had this, it was the tip of a single tooth missing from the front ring gear (the big one on the diff) every time it passed the pinion, when on the power, it clicked. As it was the front it was far far worse under heavy braking. Eventual root cause was a crack in the main casing allowing the diff to move a bit, changing the mesh. Put it back together with the same shimming/mesh and had no problems since.

I had it on the rear too when i first built the car. But that was a shimming issue. (Mine, not Durangos) that only clicked under power.
Old 22-10-2012

check the sensor wire. i had what i thought was a transmission problem, and it turned out the sensor wire had come loose.
Old 22-10-2012

If you do find it is the ring gears which are damaged. Durango have an machined heavy duty ring gear which is much much stronger than the stock ones, I would also recommend changing the gearbox housing at the same time though.
Old 22-10-2012

Checked my rear diff bevel gear again and turns out I missed a very small ship off the top of one tooth, so this is probably my problem.

Is the X-duty bevil gear really worth the double price?
Old 22-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slash View Post
Is the X-duty bevil gear really worth the double price?
Yes, they are bullet proof, been running them over a year with no problems at all, much much tougher than the stock ones. Drivetrain also runs a lot freer as well.
Old 24-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-S View Post
Yes, they are bullet proof, been running them over a year with no problems at all, much much tougher than the stock ones. Drivetrain also runs a lot freer as well.
Totally agree, mine are still going strong after 2 seasons. They are well worth the money.
Old 25-10-2012

All right, thanks for the help guys! Ordered up a couple of those gears