Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 10-09-2014
Mad Member

Well, as soon as possible without rushing development The screenshot I have made is one of the conversion kit concepts I have modelled - and the one I like best so far.

I can't make promises, but I'm aiming for it that the next car I build is the test version of the conversion kit. There is a big front suspension update to be tested soon, and I have got a few other things on the list as well. Besides finding better pace and more stability on high-bite tracks, they are also aimed towards re-using as much as possible from the DEX210 to keep things easy and affordablee - but of course without compromising performance, that is

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 10-09-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post

It looks amazing!
Loving the side pods joining at the front, great and fresh idea.

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 11-09-2014
Mad Member

Thanks, I'm glad you like it As soon as I have more updates I'll share them. In the meantime if you have any ideas or suggestions (be it for the function/construction or the aesthetics), please share!

Old 11-09-2014

The rear spoiler support.... Would an 'A' frame be stronger than the single support you have now?

Will get myself a 210 ready,
Old 16-09-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex2Visuvesi View Post
The rear spoiler support.... Would an 'A' frame be stronger than the single support you have now?

Will get myself a 210 ready,
An A-frame would be stronger, but to be honest I've only broken one plate. This was with a 2.5mm thick plate (I now use 4mm) and at the point where there is a slot through it (the most rearward mounting point on the bulkhead).

With small revisions a 2.5mm version should be strong enough, but like anything it's re-design will be re-considered, and likely changed: a vertical placed plate seems to cope better with the stresses at hand, though I may also use a more 3D structure to ensure its durability for the conversion kit.

I also have an update to share on the race. The car handled well, but initially, my RWD outpaced the FWD as the flat track allowed missile-like acceleration. However, by the end of the training day the grass was nearly gone on the racing line, and getting out of corners was getting trickier. On the sunday morning practice the track was coming towards the FWD buggy as the track became bumpier. As the track would get worse through the day, I decided to drive my FWD buggy.

In the end, this was an excellent decision. The car did really well and where the RWDs struggled with the bumps, the FWD would just shoot off The qualifying was decent, starting 6th in the B-final, but I had some bad luck in the finals: the pace was the same as the leaders, but I made a stupid mistake in the first final (falling back from 2nd place to end up 9th) and in the third final fell back from 5th to 9th when a car on the side of me went out of shape. Still, I think anywhere present at the event can acknowledge the impressive pace of the car, and 18th overall is a decent result

And thanks to Eric Hendriks, Bert Pecasse and Monique van Helvoirt I've got some really sweet action shots:

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 16-09-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 23-09-2014
Mad Member

There have been some delays with the arrival of the new front suspension. However, it will be well worth the wait. In the meantime, I have got an update/teaser for you:

This is what I can show so far. Of course you may have already seen the sidepods, but I now made a smooth transition with the gearbox, and some countersunk holes to make it as smooth as the underside of the car

Moving from aesthetics to functional updates: I have the new steering rack built onto the car. There is not yet a final electronics layout, but the low mounted servo is on the list of considerations. Also, you can catch the first glimpse of the new front suspension, though I can't yet reveal you everything Just believe me on it that I depend on it to be successful to make a conversion kit happen.

Old 30-09-2014
Mad Member

So, the parts of the new front suspension are in, and first signs are encouraging: Starting off, it fits together well. Bumpsteer is minimized and is now similar to many production cars without putting massive amounts of spacers and offsets on ball studs (like the car required before). The drivetrain is much quieter, and with the vastly reduced chatter the driveshafts will last much longer

The suspension moved very smoothly on the table and the first impression on tarmac was good: the car seems to build up laterial grip more smoothly, making the car more stable and predictable. Of course that's 'just' tarmac though, so we'll see how it does on a real track soon. And a last point of attention is the width: I measured it below 250mm with fat walled tires on there, but I want to test it with the tools my club uses at the trackside to be sure.

Old 10-10-2014

It seems this conversion is nearly ready. Any ideas on price?
Old 12-10-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.T View Post
It seems this conversion is nearly ready. Any ideas on price?
Well, it'd be dangerous to say it's nearly ready... the modelling is, but I want to test the new car very thoroughly, and especially the front suspension (as this takes the majority of the impacts). There's one chance to do it right: I want to do justice to all the work and support that's been put into this project, and I fail to do that if I release a car that has durability or performance problems that could've been spotted and solved in testing.

Price-wise, I can only make an estimate at the moment, as the design it not yet done, but it seems I'm on track to offer the car for265 (at the current exchange rate: +/- 210 pounds). I will do my best to lower that, but I won't let it compromise quality

Old 12-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
Well, it'd be dangerous to say it's nearly ready... the modelling is, but I want to test the new car very thoroughly, and especially the front suspension (as this takes the majority of the impacts). There's one chance to do it right: I want to do justice to all the work and support that's been put into this project, and I fail to do that if I release a car that has durability or performance problems that could've been spotted and solved in testing.

Price-wise, I can only make an estimate at the moment, as the design it not yet done, but it seems I'm on track to offer the car for265 (at the current exchange rate: +/- 210 pounds). I will do my best to lower that, but I won't let it compromise quality
This would be for the conversion kit only?
Old 12-10-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.T View Post
This would be for the conversion kit only?
Yes, this will be excluding the DEX210 donor parts - luckily donor cars are available second hand from very low prices all the way up to new cars

Edit: To clarify, these are the parts the conversion (re)-uses:

- Gearbox
- Shocks
- Rear Shock Tower (Type B)
- Driveshafts
- Front Axles
- Hinge Pins and Suspension Bushings
- Steering Arms
- RM Bumper (Type B)
- RR Hanger
- RR Hanger -2mm
- Turnbuckles, Ball Studs and Ball Ends
- Bearings, Screws and other Fixtures

The car is V1 and V2 compatible, though it does use a few V2 parts here and there - of course most aftermarket parts will also fit. It will likely be cheaper to buy a complete car rather than buying parts seperately, but with many (plastic) parts that you don't use it can seriously reduce the costs to convert if you sell those parts

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 12-10-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2014
Mad Member

Looks good Paul, I like the U pod looks very neat.
Old 21-10-2014
Mad Member

Thanks Jonathan, I'm glad you like it

Last weekend I tested the car's new suspension indoors (on carpet). Unfortunately the plastic part of the wing mount broke before I could start working on the setup and test an array of other parts.

The setup was rubbish, but the suspension did its work nicely. There are some tweaks to make, but over smooth surfaces the suspension feels a bit more predictable and consistent than the old system, the grip builds up more smoothly. In a few weeks time I will see how the new front suspension fares on loose dirt and a lot of bumps

Old 21-10-2014

OK Paul, we're waiting to race next outdoor season with your new FWD ......
Old 02-11-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
OK Paul, we're waiting to race next outdoor season with your new FWD ......
I will do my best but I'm not going to cut corners or rush things

Currently I'm in preparation of two things:
- The MAC Vlijmen Winter Championship, which were the indoor dirt races the last prototype proved itself so competitive last year. I have high expectations of the car, but I should keep in mind the new suspension system has seen little testing.
- Carpet indoor testing, where I will work to further increase performance on high bite surfaces, and further test the durability of the new front suspension.

Old 09-11-2014
Mad Member

Today I raced the car on loose dirt at the MAC Vlijmen Winter Championship.

Due to some delays getting to the venue my first laps were the warm-up laps of the first qualifying heat. It wasn't far from ideal considering the new front suspension had never seen testing over a bumpy surface before - and let's face it, with last year's success with podium finishes, it had to live up to high expectations.

It quickly became clear though I didn't need to worry: The new front suspension felt right at home, in fact the whole car felt a lot better, confirming once again that it is a worthy successor to the last prototype. It's amazing how much difference one year can make. Last year, the car was quick but I sometimes felt like a passenger of my own vehicle: it was very hard to keep stable off-power. This year's car feels smoother an calmer, an particularly off-power this makes a big difference!

This reflected in the results. The field was very competitive and close together, but a 6th place in the first qualifying was a solid start. In the second qualifying I was running first in my group until I suffered a left rear suspension failure. It was all or nothing in qualifying three, and a 3rd place then got me the 5th spot for the A-finals.

In the first final there was a 4-people group fighting for 2nd place. There was some extremely close battling, where I came out the better in the end. In the second was another steady start, after which I dueled for 2nd place with someone else. Our pace picked up to the point where it nearly became 3-person battle for first place, though with a mistake from me, the leader got away, though I again reeled in the second place. The last final some some bad luck and lesser driving on my part, ending up 5th.

Overall it was a very good day: The car felt really good, the pace was impressive and I scored a 2nd place overall!

PS: NO, it wasn't a 2-horse race... the driver who finished third left for home before the trophies were handed out!

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 09-11-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2014

well done Paul !!
Old 14-11-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
well done Paul !!
Thanks Now I have to find those steps to snatch first spot - I can only imagine what might happen if I arrive on time for a few practice laps

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 14-11-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 16-11-2014
Mad Member

Ok, I'll admit, the design work is NOT yet done... but I couldn't wait with modelling a bodyshell for it. It's not a definitive design, but I thought a clean, smooth design would suit the rest of the car. What do you think?

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 16-11-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 16-11-2014

Looks wicked, it looks similar to something i knocked up as a design for a bodyshell for the cobra car I was building except yours looks much nicer as it's not made out of cardboard lol.