Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Multicopters & Flight

Old 25-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Jello :(

Jello is a bloody nightmare.

On my 4th camera mount now on my Quad - and the crazy thing is - the firmer the keychain camera is mounted to the quad - the less jello there is!

This got me wondering, what the hell happens when you use a gimbal, or similar with the camera hanging below the quad - i'm looking at various gimbals for my 450 - but i'm very nervous after the crappy experiences with the keychain.

I've read countless forums - watched endless you-tube vids and there does not seem to be one concrete solution other than balancing props & motors and crossing ones fingers...

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 25-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Which camera is it for Andy?

I've not started to mount my gopro, though am about to.

My 808 keychain camera i just mount it with some sticky back velcro, and it seems to be mostly jello free. I got some jello when the camera case directly touched some of the receiver cables. Also when i tried to secure it with an elastic band, but it seems just fine with the velcro.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 25-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Neal.

Just the keychain for now!

Tried fabricating all sorts and it's not great. It might be simply that my props / motors are not very balanced...

Might try some decent props first. Looking into GoPro stuff - that gimbal I posted in the other thread looks amazing!

Old 26-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Jello returned for me tonight. I've gone back to the DJI 10x3.8 props, which are unbalanced. It's also the first flight after my hard crash. (see vids I've uploaded in the flights thread)

I'll try balance these props and see if it goes. I found the dji props difficult to balance as they have flat spots in the shaft hole, so won't stay centred on the balancer shaft.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 26-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Neal.

I've bought some 'moongel' and also ordered some 8x5 Graupner props from the place you bought yours.

Flew it last night in perfect flying conditions and with my new mount it's pretty good really, no 'jello' just a slight vibration which I reckon I can remove with properly balanced props. Also ordered a prop balancer

Hopefully my 450 bits will arrive soon - started the build with the Turnigy Plush 18amp esc's. Col - and various forum posts - seem to think they will be fine with the Sunnysky motors.

Old 26-06-2013
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Balancing props makes a big difference on my machine, it works way better filing the heavier side down than adding tape to the light side - in fact I found tape balancing no benefit at all.

I've had two gimbals for my quads, a servo one and the brushless YUN1, the servo one was utterly useless, better to not even bother, the brushless one is amazing but I still think it can be improved further with more experimentation on the settings.

I found best results from a static camera were in the middle underneath the quad- you could try the phantom dampers perhaps too?

Brushless gimbals are now coming down in price, probably mainly due to the quantity Jimmy is buying (upto about 4-5 now attached to various sticks and devices!). I think the best cost effective one will be the dji, it will have had so many beta testers and feedback it should be spot on before long.. It's also light, the ones we've been using are a bit on the heavy side, I'm upgrading my motors and arms to cope with all the gear bolted to my 550 - which is now a 650!
Old 26-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Cheers James

I'm in no rush with my 450 build - but i'd like to be able to capture some decent footage from it when it's done - i've bought a few very cheap bits to make a simple gimbal, or a might just hard mount the camera and use a servo to tilt the camera for now.

I'm keeping an eye on this : http://www.rtfdrones.co.uk/product/a...tor-gimbal-v3/

Looks really good for the money - was yours much more expensive?

Also - it seems that keeping the camera held very firmly, and ideally attached to something with a good amount of 'mass' really helps. That got my thinking about the gimbal - is yours held really firmly in place as there are lots of points of movement on these things that could be I guess susceptible to vibrations?

Seems crazy that with the little keychain - the best results would probably be from hot gluing the thing to the frame !

Old 26-06-2013

check out fpvhub

guy on there has uk licence to build alexmos controller board for camera gimbal :-) difference is it has a bluetooth controller so no cable connections for gui !

http://www.fpvhub.com/index.php/topic,10696.0.html

just received mine :-)

waiting for gimbal and motors to arrive now :-(
Old 26-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Andy,

Seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY2swOyALcE

Maybe you can do something like it on your F330?
Old 26-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnerdriver View Post
check out fpvhub

guy on there has uk licence to build alexmos controller board for camera gimbal :-) difference is it has a bluetooth controller so no cable connections for gui !

http://www.fpvhub.com/index.php/topic,10696.0.html

just received mine :-)

waiting for gimbal and motors to arrive now :-(

Looks good - very confusing though all this Gimbal stuff!

Which Quad are you putting it onto? If you don't mind - could you post a list of the bits needed and where you ordered them from - re Gimbal (motors) landing gear etc.

Cheers.
Andy

Old 13-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Tried my 450 with the keychain camera - no matter what I do it's hopeless

So - I mounted a GoPro underneath it and gave that a spin. Difference is night and day. A bit of vibration but no jello. Looks really decent

I'm assuming the keychain camera is simply too light and gets bounced around - maybe if I superglue it to something heavy and then mount it under the 450 it might be ok?

James - if you read this - when you balance the props - by sanding - do you sand the top or the bottom of the prop?

Old 13-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Mounted the keychain camera (very firmly) onto a decent chunk of brass (full length under lipo weight) Made a HUGE difference. Looks like the camera needs some Mass to get rid of jello - heavier is better.

Old 13-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys View Post

James - if you read this - when you balance the props - by sanding - do you sand the top or the bottom of the prop?
I just did some graupners. I sanded the top mostly, and one i had to sand the bottom as well, as it was a little out of balance. I also shaved off the moulded 10x5" numbers on the heavy side.

I never really had a problem with the jello on the keychain, but i guess your props were less balanced, so it was affected more? sound like the weight did the trick.

I've had a little jello on my discovery/gopro tonight. vids going up soon. I think its transferring from the elastic band, or where the band holds it tight. It was worse with a third band on.