Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 26-09-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Default Anyone here able to do 3d drawings?

Im stuck, designing a 4wd RC10 B2 utilising standard chassis bits but stuck already. I need a redesigned rear gearbox as well as a front gearbox with wishbone/shock tower/chassis brace mounts so anyone available to help me with this challenge?
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 29-09-2015

What software are you using and have you figured out how to do surface modelling?
Old 30-09-2015

I havent any software, just have an idea in my head on a design and need someone who has 3d experience to get a rough design done. Im not in this to make anything but want all to be able to buy when its done
Answer UK team driver
Old 30-09-2015

I have experience in 3D design, but I don't have that car

Make sure to check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/andreasdesmedt
Old 30-09-2015

I think that... Origineelreclamebord....on here does 3d printing
Team Associated B4.2
RC10 Worlds

Last edited by Aire valley; 30-09-2015 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Amending name
Old 30-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aire valley View Post
I think that... Origineelreclamebord....on here does 3d printing
Me too. Check www.protoprintparts.com for examples, all self designed and printed

Make sure to check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/andreasdesmedt
Old 01-10-2015

I hope you don't think I'm muscling in on your thread but I'm in exactly the same situation so possibly we can help each other!

I'm trying to rebuild a Mardave Cobra gearbox and need to reproduce some gearbox halves, at the very least I need a straight copy of them, ideally though I'd like to modify them to remove a couple of design flaws.

I'm not even sure of the best place to start, but certainly happy to team up as it sounds as if we are both doing something very similar.
Old 01-10-2015

The most beneficial advice would be to download some free CAD software (lots about, i.e. Sketchup) and do a few tutorials. You will unlock huge potential with just a few hours invested if you are serious about custom parts.
One thing to bear in mind, the way you manufacture your parts will have an influence on the way you design them. If you are going to machine the gearbox, using a 2D drawing package can actually yield better results more quickly than modelling it all up in 3D and then using a more complex CAM solution for your tool paths. If you are 3D printing, you will need a solid model from the start and the ability to create a triangulated mesh of the surface (STL file).
Old 02-10-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Im a little in the same boat but will give sketch up a go and see how it goes.
Im looking for a dropdown for the MT4.
I have gotten a broken m12 wheel working so now I just need the bracket (from m12) redone to fit the mounting of the MT4.

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 02-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKiwi View Post
Im a little in the same boat but will give sketch up a go and see how it goes.
Im looking for a dropdown for the MT4.
I have gotten a broken m12 wheel working so now I just need the bracket (from m12) redone to fit the mounting of the MT4.
I replied through E-mail, we will get it fixed

Old 02-10-2015
Mad Member

Another option is to have a play with DS Mechanical, it is a cutdown version of Spaceclaim which i use, i find it a lot easier to use than solidworks.

You can download DS Mechanical for free from here scroll down the page and you will see links for the 32bit & 64bit versions, and further down are getting started tutorials etc.

I have not installed DS Mechanical but the key thing to check is if you can save a item as a STL file format if you want to print on a 3d printer or get someone like shapeways to make the item.
Old 02-10-2015

another free one, which i use for most bits as its simple and quite capable is 123Design. you have to be quite careful with your dimentional accuracy though. you can also use 123dcatch, works ok sometimes to import things from photo's, not amazing but good fun. both from autodesk.
Old 04-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildoliver View Post
I hope you don't think I'm muscling in on your thread but I'm in exactly the same situation so possibly we can help each other!

I'm trying to rebuild a Mardave Cobra gearbox and need to reproduce some gearbox halves, at the very least I need a straight copy of them, ideally though I'd like to modify them to remove a couple of design flaws.

I'm not even sure of the best place to start, but certainly happy to team up as it sounds as if we are both doing something very similar.
Well the team used RC10 gearboxes (one of them raced in my neck of the woods) so why not bolt one on with the B4 layshaft and vts slipper?
Answer UK team driver
Old 04-10-2015

Im competant on 2d but unsure if i will be on 3d.As you know my designs are pretty unique and some have moved goal posts but I admit I drew with a pencil and sent to a trusted company and they made out of carbon fibre, i admit im not that gifted on a computer even though ive got qualifications. As this isnt in my area of expertise and is a plastic gearbox it needs more than me trying a design.

Im seriously tempted to contact shapeways for a quick turn around, as Id like to do this within a year. I need a RC10 B2 gear box designed with an idler gear bearing housing as my idler is solid so needs bearings in the casing to be smooth. Also has to be a B2 gearbox design so i can lock it into the rear chassis plate as per the kits original design. Thats my main issue at the moment but when thats done then the next project will be a redesign of this gearbox taking out the top layshaft section and moving the idler gear area around fractionally and redesign chassis screw attachment sections and add some tower mount screw sections and also A brace screw sections. Ive planned this on cutting the A brace front section so the gearbox comes within it but just misses the steering and should be that the belt misses the servo saver section.

Also thanks very much for all the info guys, really appreciate
Answer UK team driver

Last edited by Welshy40; 04-10-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-10-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post

I have not installed DS Mechanical but the key thing to check is if you can save a item as a STL file format if you want to print on a 3d printer or get someone like shapeways to make the item.
I have DS Mechanical 2 installed (windows 7) the option to save as STL is available if that's any help, it's a bit like sketchup for small parts.
Old 12-11-2015

Hey Welshy

I would love to help but don't have the time really. I'm a mechanical product designer so use 3d CAD on a daily basis. (Siemens NX).

If you are after someones help with CAD it's going to be difficult for them without the parts you do have in front of them. I hope you find someone to help you out though.
Old 29-12-2015

Ok, I'm a bit late to this party, but I can do 3D drawings. I use AutoCAD, but as far as I know, AutoCAD files can be converted to 3D print files.

I have an Associated B4 stealth here if basing the part you need on that would help.

I've been drawing lots of RC car components over the last year or so and would like the further experience, and to show people what I can do.

I want to design my own chassis's eventually.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 11.20.14 pm.jpg (7.0 KB, 22 views)