Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 09-04-2013

Default Two shock towers on a dex210 rear

Hey guys have any of you tried this? Ive put two carbon towers on the rear of my dex210. Need abit of filing but fits without fouling anything. Will this affect handling two much? Thanks
Old 10-04-2013

Is there any particular reason why you want to run two towers? If you are breaking towers an easy fix is to put some spacers between the transmission case and the tower.

Team Durango Australia
www.team-durango.com

Proline Australia

A list of option parts and other information for Durango vehicles. www.durangofansite.com
Old 10-04-2013
Mad Member

Two towers... your car could've come straight from Lord of the Rings

Anyway, I don't think it is the optimal option to just add another tower or use a much thicker tower. The problem I've heard is that the tower tends to hit the top mounting lug of the motor plate in a crash. The motor plate is aluminium and placed perpendicular to the tower, so the plate doesn't flex. In other words, when the tower hits the motor plate it prevents a certain percentage of the length of the tower to flex and absorb the impact. Result: It breaks off.

Putting two towers on there just adds a lot of material: It's no guarantee that it is even nearly twice as strong in practice, as the thicker tower flexes less. If you'd land a jump without absorbing it with your knees you'd be in for pain and perhaps injury too... That's exactly what that shock tower is also going through. And I haven't even mentioned that when the shock tower then does become strong enough, it transfers all these loads to the part it is mounted to: the gear casings... I doubt you'd want to break these (even though they are relatively cheap)

The solution ekt mentions is simple and doesn't require any mods to the motor plate or shock tower afaik. I'd give that a shot first and if it keeps breaking often, start viling some material off the lug, increase the offset/spacing, and as a last resort move to a thicker tower.
Old 10-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I have 2 towers on one of our buggies, reason being that I was breaking a couple of plastic ones before I put in shims, and my boy is starting with RC so would need something strong.

A club mate broke a CF rear tower so I got that then sanded an original tower on one side ( they aren't flat on either side) and glued it together witht he broken CF one.

Its been holding up great

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 10-04-2013

On our outdoor astro track we have been snapping stock towers like crazy, with or without shimming out the tower. The only remedy was two carbon towers glued together. You can se some pics of our set up in this thread:

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...=102029&page=2

The same rear tower has been on the car since May last year, so a full outdoor and indoor season. The car is driven by my 7yr old son, and I can tell you that he really gets it up to speed before he crashes ;-)

The gearbox casing also seems to be really strong in this area, so no sign of breakage here either.

Also, we have no shims between tower and gear box, so I can really recommend this as a good solution to the problem.

Last edited by Gregerl; 10-04-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Adding gearbox non breakage
Old 17-04-2013

to be quite honest, i've never broke a shock tower front or rear the the dex210 so i don't really see the point.

My Feedback : [URL]http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86486[/URL]