Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 28-10-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher
Default new amb system

seems there was some discussion at the agm re mylaps/amb, where the "new system" will not count mrt and the old amb bugs.... anyone add more light?
Old 28-10-2012

Quote:
Big problems with rc timing and decoders for 2013 if you run rc4 the new PTs will work but MRT will not work harrys will work AMB PT(3 lug large) could be hit and miss club handout may not work.
The new percy PT will not work on rc4.
The percy transponder can be supplied as a cone.
taken from a post on maxbashing tonight :-(
Old 28-10-2012

So what's that in English?

Will my MRT PTX work?
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 28-10-2012
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Which AGM was this?
Old 28-10-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpi_guy View Post
So what's that in English?

Will my MRT PTX work?
My understanding is decoders will be upgraded to RC4's from RC3's, not sure what that means. The old style AMB's may not work with RC4 and MRT's will not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
Which AGM was this?
BRCA

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 28-10-2012

still none the wiser, is this upgrade a software or hardware upgrade?
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 27-01-2013

Personally I see this new system as blatent profiteering by mylaps. They purposefuly made the new system to be incompatible with the MRT transponders because basic business sense says that every mrt bought is not a sale for them, so they were loosing money.
Hence the new amb.

This sport is getting pricey enough without this.

If every MRT owner got on the case and told the BRCA so, then maybe they will change their mind about using it.

If not then they (brca) should bloody well stand up for all those that support the them.

Last edited by Col; 27-01-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 27-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencer39 View Post
If every MRT owner got on the case and told the BRCA so, then maybe they will change their mind about using it.

If not then they (brca) should bloody well stand up for all those that support the them.
A couple of points.
The BRCA isn't a they, the BRCA is you and every other member. The BRCA isn't a separate organisation, it's just a bunch of fellow members who do what the rest of us want them to do.
For each section that have their own timing equipment to upgrade their decoder would need someone to propose it at the AGM and the members to vote it in.

For any section that doesn't have their own timing equipment and uses the clubs timing equipment for race meetings, the BRCA can't force the clubs to upgrade their decoder, but the BRCA can't force clubs to stick with their old decoders either.

For clubs that don't run BRCA sanctioned meetings, then the BRCA has nothing to do with what every club does, the decision to upgrade or not is entirely down to the individual club.
Old 27-01-2013

Thanks for the reply Terry.
So, the brca or somebody from it has approached mylaps and expressed concern for all those members with incompatible equipement?

Or does the brca not really have any influence other than just offering an insurance service?
Old 27-01-2013
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Quote:
So, the brca or somebody from it has approached my laps and expressed concern for all those members with incompatible equipment?

Or does the brca not really have any influence other than just offering an insurance service?
just for your info this is what Ive been told
my laps software is used on full sized cars go karts and other stuff, the update was something to do with Ker's system in f1,this just happens to interfere with the mrts bugs,so cant see them doing it just to stop people running mrts,we upgraded to Harry's before this even happened because we had problems with low signal counts on all are mrt bugs and have seen this allot on local clubs software as they all read signal strength, all the low counts are mrt bugs, and yeah i checked it out for myself, if thats true i cant see what the brca could do or say to mylaps
Old 28-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
just for your info this is what Ive been told
my laps software is used on full sized cars go karts and other stuff, the update was something to do with Ker's system in f1,this just happens to interfere with the mrts bugs,so cant see them doing it just to stop people running mrts,we upgraded to Harry's before this even happened because we had problems with low signal counts on all are mrt bugs and have seen this allot on local clubs software as they all read signal strength, all the low counts are mrt bugs, and yeah i checked it out for myself, if thats true i cant see what the brca could do or say to mylaps
Apart from its not down to the brca unless the membership ask them too, they could have advised all clubs to stick to rc3 and ask. Mylaps to support rc3 , how ever the stable door is now open, the horses have thier blinkers on looking for somthing better than 100 % counting
Old 28-01-2013

Quote:
So, the brca or somebody from it has approached mylaps and expressed concern for all those members with incompatible equipement?

Hi

Yes of course - had a sequence of meetings at the recent Autosports show, the executive people who are into timing met up with 3 people from MyLaps

There have been two outcomes to that, the first is that MyLaps are going to keep the 'Harry' available as long as is possible (It works with ANY MyLaps digital decoder) and the importer is going to point out to prospective purchasers of Purcy's to check with their club that the club has upgraded to RC4.

You need to bear in mind the following: -
MYLaps customers have been requesting the ability to have multiple transponders with the same base number for a while.
RC4 is their solution to this.
However their customers are not just RC Car racers not by a long chalk, the same hiccup occurs in numerous sports e,g, cycling, sking etc.

MyLaps I don't think have even considered MRT in this process, their concern is for their equipment to be backwards compatible and in that they have succeded in that ANY AMB/MyLaps PT will work with any of their systems - Job Done.

So If I had a question about an MRT Transponder I would be asking MRT personally - but that's just my take on it.

There have also been considerable discussions about the Nationals with the sections (some sections use the clubs timing kit, other sections have their own) they will be communicating with the drivers likely to do Nationals on what will be happeneing where.
Some sections won;t be doing anything until the AGM, other committee's will deal with it as they see fit - as the authority within the section committee's varies from class to class depending on what their racers want.

Club racing is entirely the clubs own affairs and I guess will depend drastically on what kit the members have, some clubs are 100% AMB/MyLaps, as are some National classes - others have quite a high MRT usage, so it will need to vary.

Oh and BTW the Insurance is a tiny tiny part of what the Exec does to keep this sport in existance - literally..

Jim Spencer
Treasurer
BRCA
Old 28-01-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Spencer View Post

MyLaps I don't think have even considered MRT in this process,

May I express my doubts about this.
Old 28-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Spencer View Post
Hi

MyLaps I don't think have even considered MRT in this process, their concern is for their equipment to be backwards compatible and in that they have succeded in that ANY AMB/MyLaps PT will work with any of their systems - Job Done.
Just a shame the Purcy isn't backward compatible though, it would be great if the purcy could have the clone id function which works with the RC4 system, but still counted on the older systems (didn't recognise the extra digit but still counted the rest of the id), then they wouldn't need the harry. We could all have multiple purcys with the same main number and individual extra id's and on the old system they would all count as our car, but on the new system they would count as our car A and our car B etc.
Old 28-01-2013

Default Greedy amb

The latest amb lap system, wouldn,t accept MRT transponders at a largescale meeting in the NL, 2 weeeks ago ,which meant drivers had to buy new transponders at the race.
Who needs another 80 quid for a new transponder,on race day.
With the cost of racing increasing, this is another unnessary cost.
I don,t know if other manufactures transponders were affected,but its crap.
I hope any clubs thinking of ungrading their system, think about this.
Personally i hope clubs boycott AMB,S latest system.
I,ve used MRT transponders, and known Terry for 30+ yrs, great products & service, so support the little guys buy british !!!
Yet another case of a big company,s greedy attitude, they,re gonna kill the golden goose. BEWARE amb.
Old 28-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino20 View Post
The latest amb lap system, wouldn,t accept MRT transponders at a largescale meeting in the NL, 2 weeeks ago ,which meant drivers had to buy new transponders at the race.
Who needs another 80 quid for a new transponder,on race day.
With the cost of racing increasing, this is another unnessary cost.
I don,t know if other manufactures transponders were affected,but its crap.
I hope any clubs thinking of ungrading their system, think about this.
Personally i hope clubs boycott AMB,S latest system.
I,ve used MRT transponders, and known Terry for 30+ yrs, great products & service, so support the little guys buy british !!!
Yet another case of a big company,s greedy attitude, they,re gonna kill the golden goose. BEWARE amb.
Quote:
Personally I see this new system as blatent profiteering by mylaps. They purposefuly made the new system to be incompatible with the MRT transponders because basic business sense says that every mrt bought is not a sale for them, so they were loosing money.
Hence the new amb.

This sport is getting pricey enough without this.

I don't understand this attitude at all.

AMBRC as they were known, pioneered the electronic lap counting system, made it reliable, sensibly priced and carried on developing it (otherwise we'd all still be using massive handout ones) - AMBRC/MYLAPS are not a charity, they are here to make a profit like any other company - I have absolutely no issue with them wanting to make good on the fruits of their labour. Quite frankly MRT came in a made their transponder - fine - have no issue with this either but you cannot expect AMBRC/MYLAPS not to want to protect their business.

I bought a PT when they 1st came out - it has been, hot, cold, frozen, wet, charged (!) , dropped, trodden on and driven around countless laps of rally cross and 10th scale circuit and is still going strong and has never missing a lap and remains the best £50 (at the time) I've spent on RC bar none. AMBRC/MYLAPS
Old 28-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Could not agree more about the transponders! mine has as above been said fuel,water vibration,heat and impact mine have survived the lot, the only slight wear is the number on the outside, one of mine is now about seven years old and still not missing a beat in my sons 2wd. find an esc for the same price that would survive all that and still be faultless seven years on

Errm not sure I'm so sold on the price of the rest of the AMB system, a decoder is one costly little box!

TBH I still think some one (MRT) should make a club system with handouts for less than AMBs price

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 28-01-2013

and if you google,how many peaple have been unable to replace wire on thier amb the count is not small, maybe they should have a better customer servoce or repair service and not, "buy a new one" as thier reply
Old 28-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
and if you google,how many peaple have been unable to replace wire on thier amb the count is not small, maybe they should have a better customer servoce or repair service and not, "buy a new one" as thier reply
one thing is correct, the mrt is the same as an original amb, so if mrt are able to retune thiers to suit the problem will be gone
Old 09-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino20 View Post
There were 80+ drivers, 3 of them with MRT PTX... 2 of them missed laps, 1 worked like before... No-One had to buy a new transponder because they could use a club hand-out transponder...

Lots of MRT transponders are sold in UK, therfore I can imagine that clubs which members drive with MRT will not upgrade in near future, in the Netherlands we have less MRT transponder users...

We used RC3 and RC4, we had more problems with missing laps on RC3 then RC4 (the loop had something to do with that).