Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 05-11-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazzerH View Post
going way off topic here but half the moaning re the brca EB is price. Just did a quick price comparison on a schumacher mi5evo..

amain hobbies £312
schumacher uk price £380

try doing the same on some batteries.......

rip off britain
Right, I hate these SKEWED comparisons.... you are comparing the price from a wholesale retail outlet in America and the manufacturers quoted RRP...... not really fair.

MB Models, first Google search, £339.99.

Yes, more expensive BUT, I can GUARANTEE YOU, by the time you pay shipping, import duty, VAT and handling charge...... you will be paying MORE than the £380 RRP.
Old 05-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazp83 View Post
Yeah but that's to do with exchange rate etc, they do pay three dollars for a gallon of petrol though.
Closer to $4 and don't forget a US gallon is only 3.6 litres compared to a UK gallon at 4.5 litres.

Still cheaper though thanks to lower taxation.
Old 05-11-2014

It fell below three dollars last week and yes it will be lower octane rating than here bla bla but the statement is true.

http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/weekly/
Old 05-11-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTSHOT III View Post
Who said anything about communism? I likened you to totalitarianism which is completely different, and furthermore you have shown yourself to be a totalitarian by threatening to shop people to the "authority's". Maybe you should read George Orwell's "Nineteen-Eighty-Four".

It's a very revealing thing to treat your fellow human being in this way and i'm afraid it does indeed make you a yes man, because you've shown you're willing to drop someone in it in order to be a small cog in a big (corrupt) machine.

Plus the fact, if it makes you that angry and if you really have that much of a desire to go out and bring to justice someone who has "robbed this country of taxes" I can think of 600 scumbags in Westminster who between them have defrauded you and I of more money than a few blokes going racing on a Sunday ever will. You're legally entitled to go straight down there and make a citizen's arrest.

TBH I can (up to a point) see what you're saying about not being able to compete with Hong Kong on price but I can't help thinking some of it is greed on the part of the UK importers, I mean how can what is effectively the same thing be 3 times the price? It's ridiculous. You're getting all offended now people are finding ways round it but before globalisation came along you and many others were happy to rip us off year in and year out!

As others have said I spend a lot of money in UK model shops. Many of them are 1st class and run by nice people but the shops are as much victims as we are because there are items like motors, batteries and ESCs where, compared to buying Hobbyking stuff from the UK warehouse, the markup makes buying it just plain unrealistic. If the UK importers and retailers set retail prices at sensible levels there would be more people willing to try the sport in the 1st place, grids would be full at the tracks on Sundays and the industry would make more money.
I take it from your response you do buy DVD from Charlie?

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 05-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Skull View Post
I take it from your response you do buy DVD from Charlie?
You don't appear to have understood my post on any level. I simply stated that although I buy most of my stuff in the UK, I cannot and will not pay absurdly inflated prices for certain items and so I instead source equivalents from the Hobbyking UK warehouse.

On occasion I have purchased from Hong Kong or the USA and even after paying all customs charges (and thereby not breaking any laws) I have found myself making massive savings compared to buying from the UK so I can only conclude from this that there are instances where the UK buying public are being fleeced.

BTW if you want to take the moral high ground and call people criminals for saving a few quid you might be advised to stop referring to the Chinese person in your local pub as "Charlie Chan" as this could in these politically correct (i.e totalitarian) times be perceived as a racist comment. I personally would never stoop so low as to go squealing to the Thought Police about this but, as we have seen, there are those among us who would ;-)

Last edited by HOTSHOT III; 05-11-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazzerH View Post
going way off topic here but half the moaning re the brca EB is price. Just did a quick price comparison on a schumacher mi5evo..

amain hobbies £312
schumacher uk price £380

try doing the same on some batteries.......

rip off britain
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Right, I hate these SKEWED comparisons.... you are comparing the price from a wholesale retail outlet in America and the manufacturers quoted RRP...... not really fair.

MB Models, first Google search, £339.99.

Yes, more expensive BUT, I can GUARANTEE YOU, by the time you pay shipping, import duty, VAT and handling charge...... you will be paying MORE than the £380 RRP.
Actually I think that this is an excellent comparison and it's completely relevant to this discussion. Surely buying an Mi5 directly from the manufacturer, in the country where it was made, should cost less than someone on the other side of the world buying the same thing after all shipping and import costs have been paid and the US importer, distributor and retailer have taken their cut?

The fact that MB Models (who BTW are an excellent shop) are selling them for £40 less than the people who are making the things in the 1st place is again very revealing, I mean MB must be making some money otherwise they wouldn't bother selling the kits so that means if the UK buying public buy from Schumacher directly that's an extra £40+ going straight in someone's pocket. Buying directly from the manufacturer should be cheaper than anywhere.

For me it's not the extra money but the principle. To build and race RC cars requires a good deal more intelligence than the average bloke down the pub and the industry would be wise to remember this. This is an insult to the intelligence of the buying public in this country!

Last edited by HOTSHOT III; 05-11-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2014

Do the twenty or so AGM attendees have a vested interest in keeping the EB list? e.g. employees of manufacturers, distributors, importers etc.

If indeed they are, then 'cartel' is a good word to describe them.

Last edited by 200sx; 05-11-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-11-2014

I would be very surprised if the people at the agm weren't selling or profiting in some way sponsored etc. But as I said theres a lot of support for the list on the brca Facebook page. And we're hiding behind our computers and not using our real names? Obviously whoever submitted the proposal and then retracted had the thumb screws applied. And it's been admitted on here the list is for profit reasons and then suddenly hk means Hong long not hobbyking. Can smell it from here
Old 05-11-2014

Quote:
It fell below three dollars last week and yes it will be lower octane rating than here bla bla but the statement is true.

http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/weekly/
Yeah, just being picky ;-) I fill up near airports and it is always nearly $4 currently, over $6 in Washington DC recently.

Your point stands however
Old 05-11-2014

Quote:
I would be very surprised if the people at the agm weren't selling or profiting in some way sponsored etc. But as I said theres a lot of support for the list on the brca Facebook page. And we're hiding behind our computers and not using our real names? Obviously whoever submitted the proposal and then retracted had the thumb screws applied. And it's been admitted on here the list is for profit reasons and then suddenly hk means Hong long not hobbyking. Can smell it from here
I was at the AGM and I sell Toyota car parts so no selling and yes I am sponsored but have never never been told what to vote for at a AGM and never would be by current sponser! My name is Martin Owen and always happy to give my real name! It amazes me that those that were not at the meeting seem to know everything about it I drove 300 miles that day to give my opinion and vote!
Old 05-11-2014
Mad Member

I've just had a look at that BRCA FB page, "bashers trying to change the rules" hahaha!

I have never considered the BRCA elitist - until now!

"Will someone please explain to me, in simple terms, why anybody runs r/c meetings with dipsticks like them around"

Well Im involved in running a successful monthly event that plenty of top drivers turn up to. Most of my friends there do thin im a dipstick but they also appreciate the fact that im there building and mending the track, booking people in, packing away etc

"Would that be the same people who voluntarily run clubs for the benefit of the clubs members and the hobby/sport in general to?"

Woo-hoo - a comment I actually agree with!!!

"Oh, I love it, time to stir things up! a la Mr Christopher of old ! lol"

I've never met you mr Skull, but when I do im going to buy you a beer (and Charlie Chan if he's about!!!). You are one of us!
Old 05-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris56 View Post
I've just had a look at that BRCA FB page, "bashers trying to change the rules" hahaha!

I have never considered the BRCA elitist - until now!

"Will someone please explain to me, in simple terms, why anybody runs r/c meetings with dipsticks like them around"

Well Im involved in running a successful monthly event that plenty of top drivers turn up to. Most of my friends there do thin im a dipstick but they also appreciate the fact that im there building and mending the track, booking people in, packing away etc

"Would that be the same people who voluntarily run clubs for the benefit of the clubs members and the hobby/sport in general to?"

Woo-hoo - a comment I actually agree with!!!

"Oh, I love it, time to stir things up! a la Mr Christopher of old ! lol"

I've never met you mr Skull, but when I do im going to buy you a beer (and Charlie Chan if he's about!!!). You are one of us!
And i can second that, a very successful monthly meeting attended
by some of the countries top racers, as for batteries and electrics I conform to the BRCA list as does my sons car, but what people have to realise is, we are all big kids playing with toy cars.
Old 05-11-2014

Okay so please could you put an end to the various reasons for the list? Because we've had safety and performance and then for sales. Or is it all? Yeah that brca thing on Facebook made me laugh, but I'd be gutted if id spent £50 on a shorty and suddenly £25 hobbyking ones were okay. I didn't even know things could be voted for and changed, wasnt aware of the procedures till I saw this thread. And why would bashers care about brca rules? And I'm Darren Pollard

Last edited by dazp83; 05-11-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Name
Old 05-11-2014

Would it not be a lot simpler to put the voting online, everyone login with their BRCA number, have their vote then accept the results, save people travelling up and down the country and those not able to get there, maybe younger members, then everyone has had the opportunity to vote even if they didn't attend. 1 member one vote and all that. The committee set the motions or even put them up to the vote.

Nearly 2015 the internet and has been with us for sometime now, I'm sure it's simple enough to do, the AGM could be shown as a webinar. so all could watch and listen.

Out here in the real world thats's what happens save people travelling all over the place and save the planet a bit.

Only a suggestion, then all have had the chance to vote than those able to attend.

Simplz!
Old 05-11-2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU

This thread !
Old 05-11-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesallen View Post
Would it not be a lot simpler to put the voting online, everyone login with their BRCA number, have their vote then accept the results, save people travelling up and down the country and those not able to get there, maybe younger members, then everyone has had the opportunity to vote even if they didn't attend. 1 member one vote and all that. The committee set the motions or even put them up to the vote.

Nearly 2015 the internet and has been with us for sometime now, I'm sure it's simple enough to do, the AGM could be shown as a webinar. so all could watch and listen.

Out here in the real world thats's what happens save people travelling all over the place and save the planet a bit.

Only a suggestion, then all have had the chance to vote than those able to attend.

Simplz!

LOL and round we go again....
Old 05-11-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky14 View Post
And i can second that, a very successful monthly meeting attended
by some of the countries top racers, as for batteries and electrics I conform to the BRCA list as does my sons car, but what people have to realise is, we are all big kids playing with toy cars.
Thanks for that kind comment Rich - top driver and top bloke!

Your last sentence sums it up for me
Old 05-11-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
LOL and round we go again....
So when is the AGM? are there any proposals?
Old 05-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesallen View Post

Simplz!
All sounds good to me, although I agreed with Mark Christopher that it would be a good idea for me to attend next year's AGM this would be a lot simpler. Also in the age of the internet, would it be possible for the BRCA to have its own forum so issues such as this can be discussed prior to a vote?

BTW for anyone on the BRCA Facebook page referring to me as a keyboard warrior, I don't have any problem at all with you knowing my real identity.

My name is Alex Guiver and I race a Kyosho RB6 at TORCH near Southampton.
Old 05-11-2014

Lipos don't just catch fire, end of. Its the user charging and discharging at stupid rates that cause problems. And also crap electrical installs. Who can honestly say that they have had a lipo fire due to charging at 1c.

And I am Richard Stain.