Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 16-11-2014

Default winter outdoor round 2

Just like to say thanks to Rob for running the meeting and thanks to gav for the track.
Good days racing.
Old 17-11-2014

Yep, thanks to Rob and Gav (and Si for setting up).

I was disappointed to hear of a visitor to the club verbally abusing a young child who was attending his first race meeting.

Hopefully the child isn't permanently put off and the sad old man can continue playing with his toy car elsewhere...
Old 18-11-2014

Send a message via MSN to tommygun Send a message via Yahoo to tommygun Send a message via Skype™ to tommygun

I have heard that the newbie had wiped a guys front of a B44.2 totally, wishbones, the gear box, shock tower and shock shaft. Ouch! But to be honest, I would be hacked off if someone wiped the front of my car out. I know what I would have said... Hopefully that lad learnt from his mistakes, but I would be angry and hacked off if some one wiped my front end off, parts for cars now all tot up in price...

Last edited by tommygun; 18-11-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 18-11-2014

I watched that race, and he ran his car into the back of the newbies car it was his fault, only himself to blame. Just hope the young lad comes back to race, and has not been put off to much!!
Old 18-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by longman View Post
I watched that race, and he ran his car into the back of the newbies car it was his fault, only himself to blame. Just hope the young lad comes back to race, and has not been put off to much!!
Agree it was his own fault. I was in that heat and I was avoiding and giving space to the new kid, we had a small turnout and mixed abilities that day hence the young lad being in with more experienced/quicker drivers.

The young lad wasn't really causing me an issue and I was still doing decent lap times.
Tamiya Lunchbox
Tamiya Top-Force
TD SCT

https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/
Old 18-11-2014

Hopefully that lad learnt from his mistakes - seriously! He spun slightly on the straight, recovered and your man plowed into the back, what mistake?....spinning out. I raced for a lot of years 12th,10th,8th club, regional, national and international and can assure you I spun off every now and then, let alone on a damp slippy track the first time I had ever raced.
I also could look more than 5 feet down the track.. If I hit something as I didn't brake, steer or move it was my fault, deal with it move on...To spend the next 5 minutes f'in and blinding and shaking your head at an 8 year old, then state at the top of your voice that you had been 'taken out by a little s**t' I am sorry but it's bang out of order.
You know what, in the two heats we ran he did not run into anyone,tried to stay out of the way but most importantly Tried to have fun which I thought was the point, I know I am biased but I was really proud of him and he is a lot better than his old man was when I first picked up the sticks.
As a note the Bury guys were great really welcoming, helpful and friendly. It was good to catch up and talk about the old days and the thread and support in relation to this shows what a good bunch of people are at the heart of the club- thanks gents!
Old 19-11-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Sorry I couldn't have been there all day - looks like I might have been needed!

We only had 2 heats so there was bound to be a big speed difference between cars. However that is irrelevant because we've had cars flip, spin or otherwise end up stationary on the straight ALL THE TIME. Not a meeting goes by without the odd call of 'Car on the straight!' - its quite normal. Not just a Bury either - most tracks experience this.

If you hit someone elses car ITS YOUR FAULT. It doesn't matter what they were doing - they can be swerving everywhere and its still your responsibility to avoid them. If you can't do that at full speed SLOW DOWN. Thats how it works with full sized cars - why should smaller ones be any different?

Believe me I take matters like this VERY SERIOUSLY and TBH I don't care if it was a kid or an adult that got the abuse it is still utterly unacceptable. We are a family friendly club - lots of racers bring their children to meetings even ones that don't race and thats an angle of the club I want to keep promoting.

On a slightly lighter note though from next year it will be my eldest sons car you'll be trying to avoid on the straight. Lets see how many complaints that causes - and what how often the complainers PT mysteriously 'stops counting' after that............

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 19-11-2014
Mad Member

I didn't hear any of this but if I did i'd have said something! If you ever have a problem please come to a comitee member and we'll sort it.
G Paint
Answer RC
Old 19-11-2014

Send a message via MSN to tommygun Send a message via Yahoo to tommygun Send a message via Skype™ to tommygun

I know what you all mean, I've never raced at bury, but I would like to in the near future! I regularly race at York, batley, Chadderton , South lakes, and my local track, cullingworth indoor. I've been racing for 5 years now, and I started somewhere! I used to be the bumper car racer, going in to people, getting stuck in the tires etc, but as a new pair, I learnt to wait for faster racer and just trundle arround the track. But I. The last 3 yards of me having a 4wd b44.1, my racing had improved dramatically. I'm in my 5th year and I love racing to the max, I'm still not the best racer but I'm a lot cleaner and curious to other track users. I've always liked to have decent lap times and drive allot faster and more reckless at times. But I have learnt how to drive around a track. I still have muck ups, and get caught up in a car mob, but at the end of the day, their is at least a mixture of abilitys. From what I have herd, it sound to me that the man drove straight into the small lad, but did the newbie start to drive form where the Marshall put his car, and did not realise that their was someone coming? Or was the man wanting to get ahead of him, so that the little lad had more room and time to drive around the track, without interference with other racers? As a little newbie, I had allot of people bolllocking me for bad racing, or marshalling, I never got upset, or got my dad to defend me. I learnt from my mistakes and got a bolllocking form my farther too. It all sound to me some of you just over reacted a tad. I know that shouting abuse at little ones as unacceptable. But I do feel sorry for the man for having his car demolished! Weather it's his own fault or not. I've had a front end wipe out and cost me half of my wages! I tend to chunter and swear on the rostrum sometimes, especially when their is the "allways dirty driver in your heat" guy, constantly cutting you off or ramming you into the track markers! But I don't get mad to much. If a person in m py heat brakes my car, I expect a apology and a small talk on what to do. I have had someone Ginsberg me a set of wish bones, as a new lad took me out in a final! So we all should be friends!

Last edited by tommygun; 19-11-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 19-11-2014

Anyone wanting to race at Bury please do not be put off with this thread. My son and I started attending Bury this summer, we have found it to be a very friendly place with a lot of decent guys who are very accommodating and encourage youngsters to race, my son is 12 and he is faster now but still panics when the faster guys come up behind him, I try to tell him to go wide at the next corner, and the faster lads will get through. But remember one important thing , everyone who races had to start somewhere and unless you were born with a talent, you were the slower guy once !!!
Old 19-11-2014

I too was in the same race and was stood next to the little lad and each time I was coming up behind him I could hear his dad say to his lad move over and let car through,which he did and I would reply by saying thank you.
And when it was our turn to marshal I had a little chat with the kid saying just use today as a practice day getting use to the track and don't try and race against anyone else.
The little guy has a good talent and looks like he will be a great little racer come the summer series.
These little ones are the future of our club and will get all the help I can give and no doubt many other club mambers will do the same.
Sworkz
Bury metro

Last edited by Maddy; 19-11-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 19-11-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayter View Post
Anyone wanting to race at Bury please do not be put off with this thread. My son and I started attending Bury this summer, we have found it to be a very friendly place with a lot of decent guys who are very accommodating and encourage youngsters to race, my son is 12 and he is faster now but still panics when the faster guys come up behind him, I try to tell him to go wide at the next corner, and the faster lads will get through. But remember one important thing , everyone who races had to start somewhere and unless you were born with a talent, you were the slower guy once !!!
That's exactly right and all the faster drivers want is for them to move off the line. I think there should be more conveying of this from race control if I'm honest
G Paint
Answer RC

Last edited by Gavin Collingwood; 19-11-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 19-11-2014

I was in that heat and the guy who destroyed his car was having a bad day to start with, one of his cars went up in smoke first thing, he reverted to a 4WD. His car smashed into the back of the lads car at pace right in front of the rostrum. Abuse is uncalled for from anyone I've heard a few going on with themselves in the short time I've been coming to the club, we all have bad days, but screaming and shouting especially at kids just shows a lack of character.

As its been said, go in the back of someone then its your fault full stop. On the road, on track even when skiing. From my real car track days then there were loads of people with fast cars. I had an ex-works Nissan touring car for a while and someone hit that at real pace there's no insurance on a track but I had to suck that up £$£$£$£$ beyond what most could stomach. Fast cars doesn't always mean a talented driver, sometimes just quick in a straight line and anyone can do that. The most accidents come from the point and squirt brigade who run out of talent very quickly when someone is out of position.

I try to make every effort to let faster cars through, even when I did track days. After a 20+ year lay off then it'll take a while to get back to match fit with the buggies or may never get there again. I apologise if I get in the way, I'm about a lap or two off the pace at the moment.

My daughter is looking to start racing she's 14 very co-ordinated (compared to her dad) but is worried grown men will shout at her so hasn't been to a Bury club meeting, but has practiced on the track. I would be very disappointed if she got verbal abuse, as everyone has to start somewhere, and she will probably end showing a few they way round soon enough.

I also race at Cheadle on a Thursday night (this is where it all started for me back in the late 80's) Its a tiny track and mainly touring cars these days, but they accept all, theres no screaming and shouting and a lot of kids race. There were 7 heats last week its full to bursting there, super friendly place.

My buggies go in with touring cars and circuit cars and nobody is concerned bring it and can race it is the policy. My daughter will start her racing here with the other kids maybe buggy or touring we'll see.

I know numbers will be short in the winter for lots of heats to split up abilities, (outdoor anyway) back in the day you are asked your level when booking in to set heats. Novice, intermediate, expert/pro. There was always a drivers briefing before racing just like in the real thing, takes 2 mins and the rules, etiquette and tone is set for the day.
Old 19-11-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesallen View Post
I was in that heat and the guy who destroyed his car was having a bad day to start with, one of his cars went up in smoke first thing, he reverted to a 4WD. His car smashed into the back of the lads car at pace right in front of the rostrum. Abuse is uncalled for from anyone I've heard a few going on with themselves in the short time I've been coming to the club, we all have bad days, but screaming and shouting especially at kids just shows a lack of character.

As its been said, go in the back of someone then its your fault full stop. On the road, on track even when skiing. From my real car track days then there were loads of people with fast cars. I had an ex-works Nissan touring car for a while and someone hit that at real pace there's no insurance on a track but I had to suck that up £$£$£$£$ beyond what most could stomach. Fast cars doesn't always mean a talented driver, sometimes just quick in a straight line and anyone can do that. The most accidents come from the point and squirt brigade who run out of talent very quickly when someone is out of position.

I try to make every effort to let faster cars through, even when I did track days. After a 20+ year lay off then it'll take a while to get back to match fit with the buggies or may never get there again. I apologise if I get in the way, I'm about a lap or two off the pace at the moment.

My daughter is looking to start racing she's 14 very co-ordinated (compared to her dad) but is worried grown men will shout at her so hasn't been to a Bury club meeting, but has practiced on the track. I would be very disappointed if she got verbal abuse, as everyone has to start somewhere, and she will probably end showing a few they way round soon enough.

I also race at Cheadle on a Thursday night (this is where it all started for me back in the late 80's) Its a tiny track and mainly touring cars these days, but they accept all, theres no screaming and shouting and a lot of kids race. There were 7 heats last week its full to bursting there, super friendly place.

My buggies go in with touring cars and circuit cars and nobody is concerned bring it and can race it is the policy. My daughter will start her racing here with the other kids maybe buggy or touring we'll see.

I know numbers will be short in the winter for lots of heats to split up abilities, (outdoor anyway) back in the day you are asked your level when booking in to set heats. Novice, intermediate, expert/pro. There was always a drivers briefing before racing just like in the real thing, takes 2 mins and the rules, etiquette and tone is set for the day.
We usually do a driver's briefing beforehand but for a winter meeting with such a small attendance and the fact it's winter we are doing things a little more relaxed. Please don't hesitate to bring your daughter down we are very welcoming, the said driver wasn't even a member I believe. We will be having words to make sure there is no repeat performance. And again if people don't report these things and make it known then we cannot do anything I was marshalling at the time and couldn't hear what was said on the rostrum. All I heard and saw was an angry man annoyed at breaking his car. That happens all the time, without knowing we cannot help.
G Paint
Answer RC
Old 20-11-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Also remember that the meeting was basically run on auto - monitored by Rob who has a whole 1 meetings worth of training and was always either racing or marshaling.
For a busier meeting we have a couple of people in race control plus some other committee members about. Plus our chairman is a copper!

There is nothing to worry about.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 20-11-2014

No one should be put off by this - completely not the norm at Bury. A very child friendly club!

I was actually set to take Luke and Josh, but I took ill and spent the time in hospital.

Those two young lads have been racing at Bury for 4 years, they love it, we've never had any arguments. And there is added value in Luke tormenting Si all day until he gets banned from race control (most race meetings!).

So, any readers of this thread with interested youngsters/beginners, give Bury a visit indoors or outdoors - and if you need any help there's always plenty available. You can approach me or Luke and Josh any time. You'll be made very welcome and looked after.
Old 23-11-2014

Totally agree with Pitman Ed, and all drivers need to remember that they started somewhere and without the youngsters coming through clubs will die out.