Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 16-09-2014

Default Problem please help diagnose

After a year or two of not using my 1:10 off road buggy I took it out for a run but it seemed like it's severely down on power on either set of batteries.

I've bought some new lipo's and it's no better.

I've checked the transmitter settings and ESC - I don't think they are limiting the power, last time I used it I think was wet so may have been trying some settings to get traction.

The car is slow accelerating and slow top speed - like it has 20 or 30% of the power it should.

I had some issues before with the motor connections - I've tried wiggling them but this makes no difference - I guess this may be the next most likely thing to check?

Sometimes when you accelerate from a standstill there is no response from the motor at all even holding it at max forward position- try a few more times and it goes - the light on the ESC comes on so it has a signal... transmitter voltage is OK this is on the bench with the transmitter next to the car....

The motor and ESC have no position sensor - not sure if that's relevant?

I'm half tempted just to buy a new ESC and Motor, don't have any buddies to swap bits either.

And suggestions - could a dodgy motor connection do this?

Is it normal for a non sensored ESC and motor to be jumpy when accelerating on the bench?
EasyRun 4000kv 8.5T Victory Motor
Futaba 2.4ghz 3gr Stick

Old 17-09-2014
Mad Member

Might be worth resetting everything back to factory settings, rebinding (and resetting up) the Rx and Tx and starting again from scratch.
Could also be worth looking at corrosion on the wires/terminals if you put it away damp (or its got damp/condensation during storage) maybe rewiring if you have any doubts.

And yes, sensorless motors will jitter and hesitate on start up, cogging is what its called. The ESC doesn't know where the motor is, so it guesses/calculates, and the bad guesses are the jumps and hesitation.

Also, how are things like mesh and what condition are the diffs in? They *could* have locked up with either dried out grease or corrosion on the balls (if its a ball diff) might be worth having a strip down and inspect of the driveline. Look at the bearings as well. These don't like sitting for long periods, especially if they've been used.