Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 05-03-2009

Default Cat SX One Way

Hello,

I am new to racing and i have brought a Car SX and was wondering if to buy a one way and what does it do......as some people i have been speaking say yes and some say no........any feedback would be great!!

Also what option parts are worth upgrading to and why?

Thanks

Chris
Old 06-03-2009

Hey Chris

I put the one way layshaft on my Cat SX and I am loving it. Though saying that, I wanted to drive way more aggressively. And would not advise it for starting out.

If you are starting racing than I would suggest you just get used to the car with the standard set-up, and enjoy racing consistently. You should pick up a one way if you are curious, and check out the difference. Practice and track time is a priority. Making the car more challenging to drive with the one way layshaft or dif will really put you off.

You will be surprised, with the stock set up and consistent driving you will be over taking people easily. You really don't need all of the extra stuff for a while.

I found myself less than one second per lap behind the fastest guy during my first off road race with the standard kit. Easy.

Different shock oils, the racing spring kit and the sway bar kits are things you should consider once you are lapping with consistent times. I am also running medium flex arms on bumpy tracks.

Buy some extra bumper screws if you think you might have a learning curve with jumps. I have only gone through one set first.

Hope that helps.
Have fun, race the clock and avoid crashing.
Old 06-03-2009

Thats great advce.......thank you for your time.

Chris
Old 06-03-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

The point in the one way is whenever you accelerate you always get both front wheels pulling as their is no diff effect. This gives you better drive but you lose front wheel braking completely, you will also get better turn in. Im not sure it's needed in the Cat as the car already gives up a lot of natural grip a one way can make the car harder to control imo.
Old 06-03-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Just to clarify, what Southwell states is true of a one-way diff.

The effects are similar with a layshaft one way but as there is still a true diff at the front end it is much less aggressive as the diff is still doing it's thing and diverting the torque across the axle.

I personally hate one-way diffs with a passion as they make the car really aggressive and can overload the front drive train in certain (admittedly crash related) situations thus causing breakages of the drive line.
The ZX5-FS I have now is the first car I've ran for many years where I am happy with running no one-way at all.

My suggestion is see if you can find somebody who has a cat with a one-way layshaft in place and ask for a drive to see if it suits you. We are all different and what suits others may not be your cuppa at all.
Old 06-03-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

O and the main benefit i get, mainly indoors is the ability to handbrake round corners instead of driving round them, you can knock off a bunch of time doing this.