Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bedfordshire RC Model Car Club

Old 23-05-2010

Default alec springer can you help with my lrp shark

i recently bought alec springers lrp shark off andy but last friday the brushless speed control caught fire do you no if these can be fixed its still the same setup as alec was running 10/49 but over heated any help would be appretiated cheers craig
Old 23-05-2010

I'd assume anything that caught fire would be dead now, what's the speedo?
Old 23-05-2010
Mad Member

I doubt it can be repaired, although your probably better emailing LRP directly to see if they can fix it!
Old 23-05-2010
Mad Member

Its the Mongoose speedo ,the car runs an Ali chassis.

Picture of the speedo.

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 23-05-2010

Give CML a ring, they should give you the details of their repair man, although it looks fried. They may be able to do you a replacement for it.
Old 23-05-2010
Mad Member

That's the common way that most Mongoose ESC's blow. It's dead and since you are not the original owner will not be covered by the 120 warranty period even if it's that new which it probably isn't. You will have to get another ESC. A lot of us now use 1/10th sensored ESC's such as LRP SPX or SXX or even Tekin RS.
Old 24-05-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig smith View Post
i recently bought alec springers lrp shark off andy but last friday the brushless speed control caught fire do you no if these can be fixed its still the same setup as alec was running 10/49 but over heated any help would be appretiated cheers craig
Hi mate, sorry I haven't replied, i've been away racing at the weekend. It looks as though it will be a new one i'm afraid but it's always worth talking to CML just in case they may do you an exchange unit.
Carl is right in saying that a lot of micro racers use "full size" 1/10th speedo's now as they are more efficient and tend to cope with the power a lot better. You can normally pick one up on here or ebay for reasonable money. The LRP or Nosram units are excellent but have a look at one of the Speed Passion LPF speedo's, they are excellent value for money and will handle the hairy mongoose motor perfectly.
Old 24-05-2010

so guys do you think the motor will of servived thanks for all your comments cheers for the pic ross
Old 24-05-2010
Banned

Quote:
so guys do you think the motor will of servived thanks for all your comments cheers for the pic ross
electronics do go up in smoke from time to time, and until you've slapped another ESC in there (as the basics of means of troubleshooting) you'll never know for sure one way or another.

it's not to say there was anything wrong with alec's system, but more due to the fact of buying anything (especially electronics) used - it's the risk one takes.
Old 24-05-2010
Mad Member

Talking

Quote:

Your welcome dude ,although my offer of £50 still stands

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 25-05-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketrob View Post
electronics do go up in smoke from time to time, and until you've slapped another ESC in there (as the basics of means of troubleshooting) you'll never know for sure one way or another.

it's not to say there was anything wrong with alec's system, but more due to the fact of buying anything (especially electronics) used - it's the risk one takes.
I sold the car/electronics as a package the evening that I completed the club series to Andy. I handed him the car straight after the final and as far as I know he has been using it ever since with no problems. The first I knew that he'd sold it to Craig was when I read this post.
As the club members will confirm, I won all rounds of qualifying and every final with this set up to gain maximum points for the series and the car never let me down. I can't possibly be to blame for any problems with the car/electronics after it's been sold for a second time.
As Rocketrob says, it's a risk buying anything second hand, it can fail at any time. Personally, i've had speedo's/motors blow first time out and also units that have gone on for a couple of years without problems.
I think this post should have been titled "Andy, can you help with my LRP Shark" as it was him that sold it to Craig
Old 06-06-2010

Hi Alec as this is a chat room i was looking for advice not blame dont want to go buy another system the same if there not up to the job sorry you got the arse
regards craig