Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Faversham Off Road Car Club

Old 05-01-2012
Mad Member

Default grid start format

hi all

great racing last night however there seems to be some confusion on how the grid works for all the drivers on here correct me if im wrong round 1 lines up 1 to 6 on normal grid slot in round two cars 1&2 move to grid slot 5&6 Cars 3&4 move to grid slots 1&2 cars 5&6 move to grid slots 3&4 round three cars 1&2 move to grid slots 3&4 cars 3&4 move to grid slots 5&6 cars 5&6 move to grid slots 1&2 confused i think i am its easier in the flesh.

i must admit i was expecting one of the committee to explain how it worked at the start of the meeting. this is NOT a critasium in any form however the less experienced drivers must have been confused.

the starts of the races in my opinion were much cleaner i watched heats 1 4 5 and 6 and these were much better than before

great track last night and its great to be back after xmas.

stu
Old 05-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yes I thought the starts were alot cleaner, good vote that one!

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 05-01-2012
Mad Member

Spot on Stu - essentially the rows move forward as before. You still take the positions 1&2, 3&4, 5&6 as rows, but they're just offset rather than just one line across.

And I agree - considering the start was a classic sweeper into a hairpin which normally causes all sorts of grief - I think the starts (on the whole) were cleaner.

Great track last night too - really nice and flowing.
Old 05-01-2012

Yes it was a lot cleaner, only one prob if we are running 7/8 cars we would need to run 4 rounds to make it fair as last night i was number 7 and only got as far as row 2 slot 3. round 1 slot 7, round 2 slot 5, round 3 slot 3 round (woops we do not have) !slot 1
regards
Old 06-01-2012

The above is correct, I believe.. lol

If everyone knows their number at the beginning of the evening and lines up on the grid for the first round then they just move forward or back as a complete row for rounds two and three. Unfortunately if you qualified 7th or worse then you'll never start on the front row.

I also believe that there was going to be a drivers briefing before we started but, due to time, this didn't happen.. please correct me if I'm wrong (Alan)..

It definately worked, as has been mentioned above, the starts seemed to be cleaner, however, that might just be because people are still filled with Christmas cheer and whisky (again Alan).. lol

To be honest I had been asked to check some of the starts and make sure people were lined up on the grid correctly etc. but was also trying to sort my car/s out so maybe didn't do enough!! sorry.. will try harder!

The problem I found was that a lot of people were complaining about practice.

I think this needs to be addressed properly by the club, just so people know when they're allowed to go out and for how long. I still think that the "free for all" is best as long as people realise that you can't fit more than 16 people on the stage let alone on the track. Also, that it is practice and therefore there are going to be slower drivers out there, juniors, new cars, new tyres - all sorts. It's never going to be easy to allocate a time period to each driver as I know most of the top drivers will try a set up and realise by the second corner that it's not right, take their car off, make adjustments and then come back on to check again.

A bit of common sense all round really, well that's my point of view anyway. If the practicing in heats was voted in then the evening needs to be started earlier and organised so that the heats are called out and everyone within those heats knows that they should be out practicing.. However, how do you know which heat your in when you haven't booked in and therefore the heats haven't been allocated?!..

Great track last night, loved it.. well done to Will and Ollie for a good result.

Scott..
Old 06-01-2012
Mad Member

Exactly my opinion Scott.

Practice is just that - common sense needs to be shown by the faster drivers that slower drivers are on track and vica versa. I don't think graded practice is a viable proposition given the time constraints.

Thanks for looking after the gridding up as well
Old 06-01-2012
Mad Member

i agree with practice a bit of common sence an open practice is by far the best way for club nights.

however winter series i think would be much better to have practice in heat order one five minuit run for all.

stu
Old 07-01-2012

On winter series it could even be two 2.30 minute runs, so if the car isnt right you can change it and have another practise.
Old 11-01-2012

Default still not right

Sorry to bring this up again but i noticed in my heat that things went wrong, whats missing is a grid slot for 8 cars whats happening is the 1 round is ok then when 1 and 2 go to the back car 2 should be in slot 8 but some are going to slot 6 then jumping in front of car 1. Car 7 should be on a row to themselves and a space behind them.