Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > YORCC - York

Old 04-12-2011

Default Top Night!

Thanks to everyone for the meeting last night, thoroughly enjoyable with the exception of the 2 stupidest jumps in the world. I've never raced and been properly scared for the safety of my car before, but last night i was scared...

Anyways, great night, thanks to everyone, hope next week will be as much fun as its been every week I've been!

AC

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 04-12-2011
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC199 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the meeting last night, thoroughly enjoyable with the exception of the 2 stupidest jumps in the world. I've never raced and been properly scared for the safety of my car before, but last night i was scared...
Back to the usual crap jumps then.

The problem is 2 fold from what I can make out:
despite my best efforts we don't seem able to come up with a viable alternative to the gym matts which are used. These would probably be acceptable with a plywood racing surface but no-one seems willing to see if the ply we've got can be fitted into the trailer.
It's a remarkably hard task to build a jump that is raceable for all classes running - the 4WD mod's want a jump that can be hit at decent pace, but the 540's need something that can be taken slowly.
Old 04-12-2011

Great, it's not just me then who builds awful jumps!

I think it would be great to get some plywood to put in some double moguls, as I need the practice on these as I always struggle on these jumps.

Col, what needs to be done to the plywood to fit it into the trailer?
Old 04-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
Back to the usual crap jumps then.
Yes, they were terribad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
It's a remarkably hard task to build a jump that is raceable for all classes running - the 4WD mod's want a jump that can be hit at decent pace, but the 540's need something that can be taken slowly.
Surely it would be easier to have smaller jumps, that will give longer air, rather than the skyshots people seem to like building... oh, and for those that will complain about the "inconsistant mat landings" I'd rather that than have to spend what i'm going to have to spend repairing my car before the next meeting because of the solid landings on a gym floor.

Just to throw this one in, last weekends track was epic, i didnt hear one single complaint about it, and it had no jumps. Just a step up, step down affair. Best track i've raced on at York.

AC

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 04-12-2011
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin A View Post
Great, it's not just me then who builds awful jumps!

I think it would be great to get some plywood to put in some double moguls, as I need the practice on these as I always struggle on these jumps.

Col, what needs to be done to the plywood to fit it into the trailer?
Some seem to think the trailer isn't big enough to hold large enough pieces of wood to do the job.
IMO take off isn't the problem (although a different take off ramp would only help improve things). Our problem is the almost total lack of decent, sizeable down ramps. It would need to be at least 6ft long and as wide as the carpet (about 4ft?). I'm told 6x4 won't fit in the trailer, so we need to work out a way of getting 2 pieces (min) of 3x4 to join together relatively seamlessly and also be able to come back into 2 pieces again after the meeting. If we had 4 bits we could do doubles, or big air up and down ramps. The possibilities are almost endless.
Old 04-12-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

Hmm, I help build the jumps and with the resources we had there was not that bad at all. The one in front of the rostrum didnt pose any real problems and the second one could be taken at a slow pace with no problems, It all I did all night. It was only the bansai drivers who made it look worse than it was. Maybe offroad isnt for you if you dont like jumping.
Old 04-12-2011

Default jumps

The jumps were built well ,Its down to the driver on how fast or high they want too take them.we all have choices.
Old 04-12-2011
oOple Advertiser

I thought the ramps were fine.

Last week was good as well. You always have the choice to go slower for the faster exit. I also like the fact there were two ramps so it gets a thumbs up from me!
Old 04-12-2011

the jumps where great! the second jump was so smooth, you just needed to hit it right, its better than just having one jump week after week.
Old 04-12-2011

just to add this is york OFF ROAD car club!
i think 2 jumps are much better than one.
Old 05-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FONG View Post
just to add this is york OFF ROAD car club!
i think 2 jumps are much better than one.
Off road doesnt mean jumps. Never has, never will, but I agree, i'd rather have 2 jumps than 1, i'd rather have 10 jumps than 1. I'd just rather they were good jumps, than jumps which if missed even slightly mullered the front end of your car.

I appreciate the challenge of the design, but i dont appreciate the lack of forgiveness built into the design. The 540 class has 17 people in it, of those 17, at least 9 were of a similar standard to me, beginners, people starting up in the sport, and thus not that skilled. To put a jump which had to rolled or jumped to perfection to avoid a flat landing on a solid gym floor, as well as a jump with a very inconsistant take off in a track which had to cater for so many differing skill levels is, and i'm searching for an appropriate word to express my opinion here, unfair to those if us without massive budgets and less skill/experience than those in the higher formula races.

I do realise that the track has to be built to cater for all classes, and i do also realise that some weeks you get a track which suits your skills (as last weeks track did for me) but no other weeks track has made me feel so apprehensive about it. I was genuinely concerned for the safety of the marshalls, as well as for the cars racing.

But, from the responses, clearly thats just me, and no one else had any issues at all, so please, feel free to disregard my comment, and instead focus on the part which said thanks for the meeting, it was fun, and i did enjoy the social aspect of it, if not the repair bill. I'll be back next week guys!!

AC

Trader Feedback
Old 05-12-2011

i broke my car off the jump in the 4wd a final, not sure how as i landed on a mat. these things happen, all i can say is it makes you get better faster and not crash as much, i dont think safety was an issue. all you have to do is move the marshal positions if they are not safe.
Old 05-12-2011

Sucks man, hope its not too expensive.

Trader Feedback
Old 05-12-2011

My shell is a right off this was not because of the jump ,but a much faster driver who hit me on the jump. Accidents happen. Big well done to the track builders .The kids in the 540 class were the ones to watch the marshalls were hardly called upon.
Old 05-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It has to be remembered the track at York is usually made up as we go, so it can't be 100% perfect every time. Usually I'm the one building the one 'main' jump when I come, and I try to give a bit of variety week to week. Sometimes my experiments work - sometimes not

We don't have much time to test them before people pile onto the rostrum (most of which have sat around in the other hall while the usual few do the hard work) so I just try and build what looks right and able to be tackled by everyone. When I build the jump I always try to make a challenging way to take it and gain time, if it's too easy (as the corner table step-on-off we had was the last time I came as couple of weekends ago) it may as well not be there and the track gets boring pretty quickly.

Also the main reason I try to stick to one main jump or section of jumps is down to the materials to hand. All we have are a few crash mats and the smaller mats, the smaller ones are the only thing we really have to make the take-off's and landings with. These are fine but there's a 2-3" step to get onto them from the gym floor and we don't have anything but the conveyor belts to smooth the transition out, if we had some thin plywood I could do a lot more

Talking of marshall safety try doing the lower heat of 4wd, last time I came I was surprised I had any ankles left at the end of the night! There's quite a few people who'd do much better if they had half the horsepower...
Old 05-12-2011

I am totally new, and with wonky steering (my servo was broken but not due to the track) I had no problem with a 540 motor clearing the jump and not breaking anything, I marshalled all my races when supposd to and not once saw anything dangerous, couple of crashes but they happen no matter what jump there is. I didnt see it was too much of a problem, also if anyone didnt want to take the big jump there was a small lane to the side, which due to forgetting to put my new battery in, I had to make use of in the final, not having enough power to get up the ramp lol, but that was my own fault Those who build the track are making a great job and do their best with the kit they have.
Old 05-12-2011

Default TRACK OR DRIVING

THE TRACK WAS PERFECT ON SATURDAY NIGHT, IT WAS THE SCRAPY DRIVING THAT WAS THE PROBLEM.
MY CAR BROKE TWICE IN THE HEATS, BUT IS STILL HAD A FUN NIGHT, THATS RACING !!

PS I WON THE A FINAL 2WD WITH MY TRAXXAS TRX3 ( 20 YEARS OLD+ )
Old 06-12-2011
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk007 View Post

PS I WON THE A FINAL 2WD WITH MY TRAXXAS TRX3 ( 20 YEARS OLD+ )
Was there anyone else racing 2wd?
Old 06-12-2011

ME ,2WD the poorly monkey .
Old 06-12-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek View Post
My shell is a right off this was not because of the jump ,but a much faster driver who hit me on the jump. Accidents happen. Big well done to the track builders .The kids in the 540 class were the ones to watch the marshalls were hardly called upon.
You failed to mention that my home made car was way head of you before the electrics gave up. But credit where its due, your old nail went well.