Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 10-10-2012

make a lightened chassis, one standard length, one +8mm length. you can't stop them, they can't stop you!

www.aranwilcox.com
Old 10-10-2012

Of the few things I sell I've always made sure not to copy anyone when they first come out, but seeing this is basically saying they could care less if they rip anyone off. I can get somethng very similar done if there is interested. The cad files are done for the standard length, +8, ST and SC chassis are all done, so its just a matter of making them thicker and doing some milling in them, and making a jig to make the kick up thinner, but its all easily done if there interest. I'm just waiting to see what kind of price they release them at.
Old 10-10-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Wow I guess Tresery really did like my tower conversion. Guess it may be time to start just selling direct again and reducing the price.
should always patent your designs dude
if its something you invented its worth securing and then you can sell licence to people like tresrey
Old 10-10-2012
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroP View Post
should always patent your designs dude
if its something you invented its worth securing and then you can sell licence to people like tresrey
Do you know what a worldwide patent would cost? massive. for suprisingly little return, and certain countries don't give a stuff and make things anyway.
Old 10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky View Post
Of the few things I sell I've always made sure not to copy anyone when they first come out, but seeing this is basically saying they could care less if they rip anyone off. I can get somethng very similar done if there is interested. The cad files are done for the standard length, +8, ST and SC chassis are all done, so its just a matter of making them thicker and doing some milling in them, and making a jig to make the kick up thinner, but its all easily done if there interest. I'm just waiting to see what kind of price they release them at.
I would be interested in the +8

TurtleTraxRaceway.com - THE 1/10th scale electric off-road track in Georgia.
Old 10-10-2012
Mad Member

It is kind of the best solution if you want a carbon tower on a DEX210, so it's no wonder Tresrey (and others apparently?) copied it. I still think the Cream one looks better (it's the details that do it) even though I would prefer to have the aluminium pieces anodized (just to prevent corrosion).

Anyway, nice bits by Tresrey. I'm not sure about the extra thickness of the chassis plate though: Won't that mean all bottom screws are 1mm less in the plastics, plus a few misalignments with the sidepods etc?
Old 10-10-2012
oOple Advertiser

To be honest that "design" of alloy tower mounts with a seprate carbon tower was actually first used on the B4 and designed by KFactory, it has just been copied/adapted/carried on by "EVERYONE" else from there.

In our DMS Partz range we made a replacement carbon tower for the B4 mounts that KFactory did (since theirs was not available on its own if you broke it and ours was pure carbon at the time and theirs was not).

Noel (Cream) then made his superb mounts for these type of towers too (as did MK at the time, but the Cream ones were always much nicer - hence why we have teamed up with Noel to bag them with our towers in a set). Noel sold them also, then eventually made his own version of the "tower" so he could sell it with his mounts too in his own set.

The idea then got applied to other cars, including the DEX210, but lets not carried away here guys, the idea/design does in fact originate from KFactory, all others have copied, borrowed and improved on it from them....

This topic of "copying" came up a few weeks back about the RDRP option items for the DEX210 when they were accused of copying, yet in that case RDRP first showed their prototypes over 4 months before any others were even out, yet they still got accused of being the "copy cats", some people need to look at dates and facts before they point the finger incorrectly sadly.

At the end of the day, copying is never nice, how do you think X-Factory reacted when they saw the first mid motor buggies from Team C/Ansmann, they are as close as you can get without being exact in so many ways, but they have simply said they cannot stop it and that it is the best form of flattery to have somthing copied that closely............
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 10-10-2012
oOple Advertiser

You are right Darren. It was inspired by teh K-factory part for the b-4

I only started making them because K-factory stopped producing them yet there still apeared to be a demand. (I belive MK only started making them well after I started making them?)

The DEX210 version was thought up by me, wrapping the mount around the tower was as far as I'm aware completely new. All other versions at that time had just a flat carbon fiber replacment.
I've sold a lot of them, inc to Tresery USA. Who suprise suprise a few months later had a brass version made by 8-racing. Now followed by their own. Not that bothered, I know my product is stong, if it can withstand my driving all is good , just won't feel restricted if I feel I like an item they produce. You pay your money you make your choice.