Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 20-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Gyro's banned

http://news.efra.ws/fileadmin/news/2014/04/gyro.pdf

I see on Redrc efra have banned the use of gyros, I know in 10th they were banned many years ago after the LRP traction control system etc

Just wondered what they would actually do to the handling of the car with one fitted?

Would it really make that much difference? ie would a top level driver be able to shave off a few tenths a lap with a gyro fitted?

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 20-06-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

I reckon, for a world class driver it would make them slower, but for your average Joe, they would be more consistent than without, as you will be telling the car how much steering/power and the gyro will actually be controlling the servo's for steering and throttle.
Old 20-06-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHeadling View Post
http://news.efra.ws/fileadmin/news/2014/04/gyro.pdf

I see on Redrc efra have banned the use of gyros, I know in 10th they were banned many years ago after the LRP traction control system etc

Just wondered what they would actually do to the handling of the car with one fitted?

Would it really make that much difference? ie would a top level driver be able to shave off a few tenths a lap with a gyro fitted?
The gyro autocorrects the steering when the rear of the car tries to slide out, keeping it pointing where you want.

On a very slippy track there would most likely be an advantage to be had, if set up correctly.

They mostly help drift cars from spinning around, cant see it helping in most scenarios.
Old 20-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

briefly tried one on a low grip track and I was a fair bit slower and more prone to crashing. The car was constantly fighting what I knew was best.
Old 20-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

i don't know understand why kebabs are being banned?
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 20-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

from my experience flying quads which use gyro's to keep the things in the air, there is an element of gain tuning that needs to be done to get the best input and feedback tuned to where it needs to be. never used one in cars, and won't, but i think the neobuggy example video had the gains turned up somewhat to show an extreme effect.

I think bashers, who can't drive in a straight line, will be queueing up to buy them, unfortunately.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 20-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
I think bashers, who can't drive in a straight line, will be queueing up to buy them, unfortunately.
and then find it extremely difficult to adapt if they move onto racing.
Old 20-06-2014
Mad Member

This is just my opinion and mine only i am sorry to say but any gyro fitted to any rc car is a form of cheating and if you cannot drive a car without having one of these fitted why bother going out in the first place

R/C is supposed to be about fair and share if people are using gyros then this is not a very fair way of playing the game or being a good sportsmanship;

I am not saying do not use these on test days but should not be used at any form of meeting whether club regional or national level ;

Like i said this is just my opinion and no one elses
Old 20-06-2014

To answer the question of the topic starter:

yes it makes a big difference in handling.
There was a time when gyros were allowed, and you could just pull the throttle whatever grip was there you wouldn`t spin.
The cars were setup with tons of steering and the most forward traction you could get.
Driving was point and shoot, you just brake the car around the corner and then hit the gas.

My gyro once failed in a final an I tried to go without. The result was undrivable- just like using yellow Schumacher tires on clay when everybody else is running Holeshot .

In the end the usual suspects were the fastest.

Cruise
Old 20-06-2014

gyro's will make a poorly setup car handle better, but wont help much with a well set up car, or help any driver that likes to be able to throw the car at the corner. very useful if you want something like a speed run car to be more stable, not tried but i cant imagine one helping much off road. they do help quite a bit in a heli but setting up is a pain in the ass
Old 20-06-2014

I know some of the Drift 2wd drift guys use them.
There was a chap at our track last summer testing his 2wd drift car with a gyro as it was uncontrollable without it
Old 20-06-2014
Mad Member

I don't understand why they needed to issue this. Rule 4.2 in Appendix 3, Electric Cars clearly states:

"Automated steering, gyroscopes to control car movement, traction control, active suspension are not allowed."

It's the same in the IFMAR Rules. I wrote them almost 20 years ago! Why did EFRA not simply quote the existing rule?

Checking is easy. With the cars on the line ready to start, pick one up and waggle it from side to side. If the front wheels steer, take the car away and ban the driver!
Old 20-06-2014

Slow One, the press release from EFRA/IFMAR is none class specific but it has been put out there because of the 'rumours' that '8 of the top 10' at the recent 1/8th RallyX Euros B were using gyros.
Old 21-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Cheaters. like some others using tyre additive at the 1/10th Euros warm up the other week.
Old 21-06-2014

Spektrum have their AVC system that is a gyro and traction control all built into the receiver, having drove a 1/8 buggy with this installed I can only say the advantage would be massive if used to race, it is definately cheating and needs to be scrutineered for somehow
Old 21-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber View Post
Spektrum have their AVC system that is a gyro and traction control all built into the receiver, having drove a 1/8 buggy with this installed I can only say the advantage would be massive if used to race, it is definately cheating and needs to be scrutineered for somehow
According to the blurb , the avc receiver comes with a blinky mode to show that avc is dis-abled , so should be easy to check !
Old 21-06-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRob View Post
Slow One, the press release from EFRA/IFMAR is none class specific but it has been put out there because of the 'rumours' that '8 of the top 10' at the recent 1/8th RallyX Euros B were using gyros.
Thanks, KRob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber View Post
Checking is easy. With the car ready to race and the Tx out of the driver's hands, pick it up and wiggle it from side to side. When you do that the front wheels will steer - gyro fitted and enabled!!

I imagine that it could also be attached to the throttle to trim the car in flight, so tilting the car up and down should make the throttle servo move as well.

Whether gyros are fitted or not, the qualifying order will be unchanged. However, we will quickly get back to the programming with a lap top that we had with BL speedos before so many classes went 'blinky'. Good to see EFRA sorting it out quickly before software wins over driver skill.
Old 22-06-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Thanks, KRob.

Checking is easy. With the car ready to race and the Tx out of the driver's hands, pick it up and wiggle it from side to side. When you do that the front wheels will steer - gyro fitted and enabled!!

I imagine that it could also be attached to the throttle to trim the car in flight, so tilting the car up and down should make the throttle servo move as well.

Whether gyros are fitted or not, the qualifying order will be unchanged. However, we will quickly get back to the programming with a lap top that we had with BL speedos before so many classes went 'blinky'. Good to see EFRA sorting it out quickly before software wins over driver skill.
Does it have an altimeter then so it knows its pitching in the air and not say going up a ramp of a jump?
Old 23-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

A good video demonstrating gyro/AVC

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...68033803288754

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 23-06-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Does it have an altimeter then so it knows its pitching in the air and not say going up a ramp of a jump?

most gyros are single axis and only control one channel (on heli's its the rudder channel) try flying a heli without a gyro is a mega task

there are dual axis gyro's which in theory could be linked to both throttle and steering channels on a car , it wouldnt be an altimeter control but i can see where Mark is coming from , on an upslope the pitch angle may induce the gyro to act and open or close the throttle (on electric im not sure this would be possible but on a on a gas car with throttle servo i dont see why not

heli pilots better than me please put me straight if im talking codswallop

regards dave