Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff

Old 24-03-2010

Default access request

Not an EGM proposal, and I don't think it needs to be to be honest, just a request for future events.

Can the powers that be, please mention whether a venue is wheelchair friendly or not in future, when listing the facilities of the club. This also includes any info they may have with regards to toilets, as wheelchair users tend to need bigger toilets to get round for them and their carers.

For example: Leighton Buzzard is wheelchair friendly, and has a wheelchair friendly toilet. They will also "reserve" parking closer to the building if you let them know in advance. - Thanks to the LB crew for this

Wycombe isn't wheelchair friendly, as there are x number of stairs to get into the building, but after that it's fine.

Dudley isn't wheelchair friendly as such, but there is a stairlift in the building (folding down type), and a ramped pathway that leads to a fire door.

Thanks
Old 24-03-2010

Wycombe has a lift for wheelchairs and a ramp to get in after the door. Toilets are not wheelchair friendly AFAIK.
Old 24-03-2010

There are stone stairs to get into the building aren't there? I know about the lift and the ramp, but for somewhere to be truly wheelchair friendly, the person in the wheelchair needs to be to get in the place without help. If they need help to get in the place, then that's something that needs mentioning
Old 25-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Sarah,

If you want 'the powers that be' to do things, please email those powers through the BRCA email address.

Makes life so much easier than hoping that they might read a thread on a forum

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 25-03-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hide View Post
Wycombe has a lift for wheelchairs and a ramp to get in after the door. Toilets are not wheelchair friendly AFAIK.
Wycombe has a lift suitable for wheelchairs ............ AFTER a flight of metal stairs
So it is definitely NOT got proper access for the disabled. Brian has to be carried by three people up that flight of stairs on a Monday evening and then he uses the lift himself to go up to the next floor.

That said, there would always be someone willing to "lift" anyone in a wheelchair to gain access to race/spectate
Old 25-03-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldmodels View Post
Not an EGM proposal, and I don't think it needs to be to be honest, just a request for future events.

Can the powers that be, please mention whether a venue is wheelchair friendly or not in future, when listing the facilities of the club. This also includes any info they may have with regards to toilets, as wheelchair users tend to need bigger toilets to get round for them and their carers.
Sarah, far easier to ask the clubs that you are likely to attend if there is access, as Chris said by email or the good old phone
Old 25-03-2010

Default asking

Smartalec (sorry, I feel like I should be saying something sarcastic now based on your username lol).

Asking every individual club is extremely time consuming, and only provides the asker with the information, and no one else. I think it's brilliant that the bods at Wycombe will help people in a wheelchair up the stairs, and that's information that the relevant peeple need to know. I know Sam wouldn't be comfortable with that, so wouldn't come with me as and when I raced there, but at least he has the information beforehand to make that choice. You need to remember that not all wheelchair users will use a regular manual chair either. Given the choice, Sam would much rather use his powerchair, and I don't think you'd be able to help get that up the stairs lol.

Cosie - you read the post, others read the post, so I don't see a problem, besides, this isn't just a BRCA micro thing, but a general thing. You're not suggesting I email every BRCA member are you?

If we don't make our sport accessible, then we may find ourselves in trouble with the DDA, it's unlikely, yet it's also unlikely that a set of lipos will go bang on us, yet we still charge them in a lipo bag to be on the safe side.
Old 25-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartalec View Post
Wycombe has a lift suitable for wheelchairs ............ AFTER a flight of metal stairs
So it is definitely NOT got proper access for the disabled. Brian has to be carried by three people up that flight of stairs on a Monday evening and then he uses the lift himself to go up to the next floor.

That said, there would always be someone willing to "lift" anyone in a wheelchair to gain access to race/spectate
I completely forgot about those steps
Old 25-03-2010
Mad Member

[QUOTE=sldmodels;359461]
Cosie - you read the post, others read the post, so I don't see a problem, besides, this isn't just a BRCA micro thing, but a general thing. You're not suggesting I email every BRCA member are you?
[QUOTE]

Hi Sarah,

I think what Cris was trying to say is that there is no guarentee someone from the Micro Committee will read the forums, not all racers do.

A good example would be when me and dad go to watch the footie on a Saturday we always research the ground we are going too as my dad is a Blue Badge holder and can not walk too far since having his hips operated on.

Once the national dates are announced for 2010/2011 which I'm sure will me in plenty of time for the series it wouldn't take that long to send an e-mail to all the hosts club and the committee. You could send the same one to them all at the same time to cut down on time. Done in plenty of time will ensure you have all the information to hand before the booking in deadlines, remember it would be in the clubs best interest to let you know as more racers coming through the doors equals more money for them!!

From reading how the EGM is going to operate any new clubs have to provide full facilities but any clubs applying for a national such as Hereford who have held one already may not have to submit a portfolio. (I may be wrong on this point)

At the end of the day all we want to do is race toy cars (or watch football in the example above), it shouldn't be too hard if we ALL communicate
Old 25-03-2010