Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff

Old 16-08-2010

Default Regionals for Micro's

With the Nationals being so far away for the South East micro racers i would just like to know if people would be interested in running regionals and then a regional final.

I'm hoping this would bring back interest to all clubs over the country especially South Ockenden, Wycombe, Aylesbury, Leighton Buzzard etc

Old 16-08-2010
oOple Advertiser

Sounds a good idea matey, unfortunately the bubble seems to have burst on the micro's, certainly in our area. At Aylesbury they were getting around 10 on a Friday night, I doubt they get 2 now. The last time I took my micro to Leighton only 3 of us turned up so we were told we couldn't race so I didn't bother going there again. Not sure how many Wycombe get as I haven't been for ages. All the people that used to have them in our area have got rid of them now as they couldn't be bothered to get longer chassis.
In my opinion there's too many "sizes" of car allowed, all it does is spread the already thin numbers even thinner and so makes it a waste of time (as I said, only my opinion and not meant to offend)
Old 16-08-2010

Old 16-08-2010

I think the idea of regional meetings would be a good move and could generate some more interest in micros in the south east. Reading Darrens comments on another forum and the replies given by Cosie he obvouisly thinks we are all wimps and Essex girls, he seems to have forgotten that both 2wd and 4wd national champions last year came from the south east, and we have the furthest to travel the first national this year is 265 miles for me which means I probably wont be going. So lets see if we can get some interest in more south east clubs and have some fun and compteative racing.
Rules would be based loosely on BRCA appart from the track size and surface, hoping this would bring some of the clubs not able of holding nationals back to micros. Comments please. Ashley
Old 16-08-2010

Straight out of the wood work some faces we haven't seen for a while

I think with the new BRCA track rules obviously some clubs have suffered in the south.

But if there was a series would you come back

Old 16-08-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Rather than asking for a 'regional' series, why not set up your own? SEMC (South East Micro Cup)?
Old 16-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Rather than asking for a 'regional' series, why not set up your own? SEMC (South East Micro Cup)?
Another good idea

Old 16-08-2010

i see nothing wrong with regional champs, unfortunatley they won't be brca affiliated, but thats not a biggie.

i understand your concerns given the venues for this year, (and ash as your on the commitee all you have to do is pick up the phone to speak mate) but i have personally called more clubs than i have fingers trying to set up closer events to the SE.

I'd arranged PDA, but that fell through, got no reply from maritime (but i'm hoping on next year, i guees my emails didn't get through).... The venues aren't chose to marginalise the SE, we just didn't get any applications from there.

If anyone in london or the SE wants to help find venues for next year, we would be more than happy of your help.

Alec, your points on the allowed classes have been dealt with in the new rules, we now have just two scales, 1/18th and 1/16th, with max wheelbases of 167mm and 190mm respcetivley, sorted.

with regards the track changes, the comments from microx, especially from tank, were that we are at the stage where these cars are so fast now that a long straight is needed. You all know that in a final when points are on the line we are all a bit more aggressive than at a club night, if anything the 23m long straight may have been a bit small for anyone running an 8.5 without a delicate trigger finger!

PHULL PHAT - Phat Bodies
Old 16-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAshers View Post
the replies given by Cosie he obvouisly thinks we are all wimps and Essex girls, he seems to have forgotten that both 2wd and 4wd national champions last year came from the south east, and we have the furthest to travel the first national this year is 265 miles for me which means I probably wont be going.
Really? Thats quite a controversial statement to make dont you think Ash?

The point I was making to Darren was that it is all well and good going onto the forum and complaining that the Nationals arent on your doorstep but what do you want us to do?

FYI Hereford, Swansea, Caldicot and Dudley applied for Nationals before the deadline for applications...They were the only applicants so obviously they were going to get Nationals.

PDA were approached before the cut off date but didnt get back to us till after the cut off date and eventually had to pull out anyways.

Taplow applied for a Micro National thanks to being pointed in our direction by Carl Venter and Ardent Raceway applied after Mat North put in a tonne of hard work to get John adn his gang excited about us.

I remember speaking to yourself Ash, Danny and PMing Mike Spindley numerous times asking if Ockenden were going to apply for a National cos all 3 of you had mentioned to me that Ockenden were going to apply but that application never appeared.

I had a phone call from Danny last week (I think) talking about a new venue that they had found in Essex and how they were interested in a National but I told him then on the phone that Taplow and Ardent had been secured as the remaining venues.

It is well known that the Wycombe club does not meet our size requirements as has been discussed at length...

I use the term "Essex girls" in jest, as a joke...in the same way that I refer to Northerners as gravy drinkers and Southerners as shandy drinkers (and my local South-Westerners as sheep shagging farmers). Its all jest, and im happy that everyone else seems to get involved in the joke (and even joke back) with out thinking that everything is super dooper personal.

So what do you want me to do then Ash? How do you propose I rustle up applicants from the South Eastern region?

PS: If you are not attending Round 1 then can you arrange for someone to cover the role of PRO please.

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 16-08-2010

Default nationals

As for nationals the hall in south ockendon was'nt big enough.
All involved in the club had been looking for different venues to hold a national,but nothing had come available before the cut off period.
Now we have "hopefully" found an adequate venue,maybe for 2010/2011 season.
But this is my opinion,would after all of our effort in sorting out a venue and organising everything that because its in the "south"that the majority of the micro scene would scrub that round?
So maybe for a start we could get involved in a regional series and get some feedback from that.
Then if the feedback was positive there may well be an application for the next nationals.We will see.
Old 16-08-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0sie View Post
The point I was making to Darren was that it is all well and good going onto the forum and complaining that the Nationals arent on your doorstep but what do you want us to do?
Just to clarify, I wasnt complaining, merely stating a fact about the location in relation to me (and I am considered fairly central - as I pointed out) all of these "essex girls" are even further away then we are.

For "some" micro racing is everything, their only (or at least "main") class of racing for others it is secondary, or even only participated in during the winter months and my point was that since micro meetings only take place on the one day, the mileage/time spent in a car is very excessive for anyone wishing to compete from around the south east corner of the country in the "national series". For those where micro is only an additonal or alternative class the travelling commitment is huge the further south or east or worse still south-east you go... but I did state I understood why and was not complaining about one single venue.
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 16-08-2010

The locations of the national rounds this winter are due to one thing - a lack of suitable applicants from other areas of the country! If there had been applications submitted from the south east that met the requirements then they would have been awarded a round - simple.

High Wycombe applied, but we didn't get a round because of our venue size. I have no complaints about this, and have told Cris that we are here if needed as an emergency venue at any time.

My concern about the nationals is that the new rules (for both cars and tracks) means that lots of clubs are being prevented from applying to host meetings. High Wycombe is an OK size for an RC18, an FTX Blaze or even a SWB shark, but it's simply not big enough for a LWB shark or a Carisma GT14B. It's supposed to me 'micro', and yet the cars are now larger than a 1/12th scale car!

The 1/12th section struggles to find suitable venues for its nationals because the cars need such large tracks - micro is going the same way I'm afriad. We will be racing on 1/10th buggy tracks with cars that aren't much smaller than a B44 before long!

Date clash permitting, I would support and race in a south east regional series, and would happily host a round at the High Wycombe club.

One thing I have noticed develop with the micro class is the significance of which club people come from. I can go to a 1/12th or 1/10th tc national and not be able to tell you which club half the people are from. Yet at a micro national it is immediately obvious due to who's pitting with who and what people have written on their t-shirt.

Micro club racing at High Wycombe is really struggling - 2 years ago we could expect to get more than 20 drivers quite easily, but recently we haven't been breaking into double figures, and a couple of weeks ago there were only 4 of us. Why do we think this is?
Old 16-08-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stiles View Post
The locations of the national rounds this winter are due to one thing - a lack of suitable applicants from other areas of the country! If there had been applications submitted from the south east that met the requirements then they would have been awarded a round - simple.

High Wycombe applied, but we didn't get a round because of our venue size. I have no complaints about this, and have told Cris that we are here if needed as an emergency venue at any time.

My concern about the nationals is that the new rules (for both cars and tracks) means that lots of clubs are being prevented from applying to host meetings. High Wycombe is an OK size for an RC18, an FTX Blaze or even a SWB shark, but it's simply not big enough for a LWB shark or a Carisma GT14B. It's supposed to me 'micro', and yet the cars are now larger than a 1/12th scale car!

The 1/12th section struggles to find suitable venues for its nationals because the cars need such large tracks - micro is going the same way I'm afriad. We will be racing on 1/10th buggy tracks with cars that aren't much smaller than a B44 before long!

Date clash permitting, I would support and race in a south east regional series, and would happily host a round at the High Wycombe club.
Fair comments there Mark......

Maybe there is some "mileage" in the idea of somthing dooowwwnnn sooouuuth then as a seperate series after all......... and since we are based in Watford, keep me posted since we have a heat or two of keen micro racers too who may be interested.....
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 17-08-2010

Default d'an south!

Most of the venue's I've had to go to for the past few years, have been at least an hour's drive, High Wycombe and Leighton Buzzard we're over 2 hours, with Cardiff being 3, and Swansea being an extra 30mins on top of that, and then I didn't even get to race there.

Before the start of the national series proper, a friend of mine who had been doing micros, said he wasn't doing them anymore, as they we're all "d'an south", and that was with Tamworth, Ellesmere Port and Chesterfield in the series.

I will go to places to race when and where I can, I think most of us will, but we pretty much all want the venue's on our doorstep, but this is a NATIONAL series, not a regional series.

I do think however, that the the size requirements for venues, needs to be thrown out completley as we've been to clubs like LB, Wycombe, Macclesfield (rip) which weren't the biggest, but used what they had and put on a bloody good event, and my immediate thoughts when I heard about the size requirements was a feeling that those smaller venues we're being snubbed, ie "thanks for all your help, but we want BETTER now", I've also heard worrying rumours about why foams we're banned, but the rubber tyres we're using now seem to be the tyre of choice at the mo', but again, that feels like a big snub to Gecko, who have supported our series almost from the start.

Sorry if this sounds bitter, guess that's just the mood I'm in right now.
Old 17-08-2010

Default extra

Knew there was something else I wanted to put but forgot it. If, the venue's applied before the EGM, then the drivers who attended, could vote on where we race for the following season.
Old 17-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldmodels View Post
Knew there was something else I wanted to put but forgot it. If, the venue's applied before the EGM, then the drivers who attended, could vote on where we race for the following season.
Wouldn't have made much difference this year, as fewer suitable clubs applied than there were national meetings to fill, so there would have been nowt to vote on!

IMO the size of the cars is going to become a problem, and to be truthful has already. Bigger cars need bigger tracks, and they can also handle more power, so guess what? They need even bigger tracks!

If the dimensional rules were SWB shark sized maximum, then there would be more suitable clubs able to host big meetings. As it stands I reckon you need a track area of at least 12m x 24m (micro x size, which was quite small compared to the size and speed of the cars I think!) - which is what 1/12 scale were running on less than 10 years ago! What clubs are there who support micro and have a track of this size? Only a handful by my reckoning...

Like I say - we'll end up running on 10th buggy tracks before long, but if/when that happens I may as well go and race 1/10th buggies thanks!

As for the tyres - I have heard lots of rumours too. The fact is the change of rule will not affect the results at all - the Micro X proved that. What it will do is hurt some manufacturers (i.e. gecko), hurt people in the pocket and perhaps force them to run a different tyre. I am currently running rubbers at club level as there's no point in running foams if I can't use them at the nationals. The set of rallyblocks on my car were new for the micro X, and they are already severely worn after that and 3 club meetings. I used to get 2 moths or more out of a set of foams, which were also cheaper to buy in the first place. BRCA rules are for nationals only, but there can be no doubt that they affect club level racing to some degree...
Old 17-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindles69 View Post
As for nationals the hall in south ockendon was'nt big enough.
All involved in the club had been looking for different venues to hold a national,but nothing had come available before the cut off period.
Now we have "hopefully" found an adequate venue,maybe for 2010/2011 season.
But this is my opinion,would after all of our effort in sorting out a venue and organising everything that because its in the "south"that the majority of the micro scene would scrub that round?
So maybe for a start we could get involved in a regional series and get some feedback from that.
Then if the feedback was positive there may well be an application for the next nationals.We will see.
I for one will be at all rounds, and will gladly help in anyway that I can to promote your club and any future round of the Nationals etc that your new venue/club gets. All you gotta do is just ask me

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 17-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

As for rumours, rumours are what cause arguements.

I could post up numerous "rumours" that I heard about relating to people on this thread, but what will it do? Nothing more than create tension are arguements.

The EGM has been and gone. The "racers" (not me) voted in the rules for this year and so be it.

I have heard nothing from any club saying that they feel snubbed or that they feel that the rules are made to prevent them from applying, that is either because they dont feel that way or because people think it is better to whisper opinions and rumours around than to contact those involved directly and discuss the matters at hand.

Please remember though, every year I go through the same old process of shouting from the rafters "Its your Series, you vote the rules in, make sure you come to the EGM and vote!" yet every year the same old same old wait a few weeks before thinking that the rules are rigged or manipulated to produce some sort of controversial effect such as "putting Gecko out of business" or "stopping X, Y and Z club from applying".

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 17-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindles69 View Post

why would we all scrub it mike? if were willing to drive to broughton, then surely we're willing to drive to ockenden (a journey which i've done in an old VW bus, maybe a 7 hour trip).
to paraphrase an awesome baseball movie, "if you host it, they will race"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldmodels View Post

I do think however, that the the size requirements for venues, needs to be thrown out completley as we've been to clubs like LB, Wycombe, Macclesfield (rip) which weren't the biggest, but used what they had and put on a bloody good event, and my immediate thoughts when I heard about the size requirements was a feeling that those smaller venues we're being snubbed, ie "thanks for all your help, but we want BETTER now", I've also heard worrying rumours about why foams we're banned, but the rubber tyres we're using now seem to be the tyre of choice at the mo', but again, that feels like a big snub to Gecko, who have supported our series almost from the start.

Sorry if this sounds bitter, guess that's just the mood I'm in right now.
It does sound bitter sarah, and if you'd seen the pace of the cars @ microx, you'd understand marks concerns, we cannot go back to the smaller venues with the LWB sharks and GT14's, they are just too fast. Maybe we'll get to the stage where we are hosting a separate 1/18th scale series at smaller venues, we'll see.
In no way have any rules been voted in to spite smaller clubs and or go against foam manufacturers, too many people have to vote for that to be possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stiles View Post
Wouldn't have made much difference this year, as fewer suitable clubs applied than there were national meetings to fill, so there would have been nowt to vote on!

IMO the size of the cars is going to become a problem, and to be truthful has already. Bigger cars need bigger tracks, and they can also handle more power, so guess what? They need even bigger tracks!

If the dimensional rules were SWB shark sized maximum, then there would be more suitable clubs able to host big meetings. As it stands I reckon you need a track area of at least 12m x 24m (micro x size, which was quite small compared to the size and speed of the cars I think!) - which is what 1/12 scale were running on less than 10 years ago! What clubs are there who support micro and have a track of this size? Only a handful by my reckoning...

Like I say - we'll end up running on 10th buggy tracks before long, but if/when that happens I may as well go and race 1/10th buggies thanks!

As for the tyres - I have heard lots of rumours too. The fact is the change of rule will not affect the results at all - the Micro X proved that. What it will do is hurt some manufacturers (i.e. gecko), hurt people in the pocket and perhaps force them to run a different tyre. I am currently running rubbers at club level as there's no point in running foams if I can't use them at the nationals. The set of rallyblocks on my car were new for the micro X, and they are already severely worn after that and 3 club meetings. I used to get 2 moths or more out of a set of foams, which were also cheaper to buy in the first place. BRCA rules are for nationals only, but there can be no doubt that they affect club level racing to some degree...

the man talks sense, but i've never had any trouble with yellow blocks, last me all year. ( but the i don't drive as hard as mark does)

finally, if you do host a regional series, let us all know the dates i'd definitely be up for racing at a few of them.

PHULL PHAT - Phat Bodies
Old 17-08-2010

Mark - I don't think we need bigger tracks to suit our cars. The challenge of racing, is modifying your car or your driving to suit the circumstances or track. Currently, indoors with my TC, I'm going really well, only being 4 laps down on the top driver, but within fractions of a second for laptimes, outdoors on Sunday, because I forgot to raise the ride-hide and other things, my performance was down considerably down, with my lap time being down by 1-3 seconds. Biggest thing to remember is, regardless of track size, did we have fun at those smaller clubs, because that's why we do this. The instant this stops being fun, I will stop, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one in that. I understand that not many clubs did put their names forward, but as I understand it, a lot of clubs that do or did race micros, aren't big enough anyway under the current rules, I think that with this new rule, we're cutting our noses off to spite our face.

Matisse - anyone can drive fast, not everyone can drive quick. Based on your posting, we might as well just run an oval.

Cosie - I didn't say anyone had complained of being snubbed, or anyone was being put out of business, I said those we're "my" feelings on the subject, and you know how things work, people will complain amongst themselves about things, but never tell you if you ask them directly if there's a problem.