Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Atomic Carbon

Old 11-11-2010

Default micro cr2 ?

wonder if it would be possiable to do a cr2 micro using the mini t as a donor would it just be a case of scaling down the cr ?
JQ THE E CAR (on order)
futaba 3vcs
Old 11-11-2010

what about with the micro t

~Tiverton Radio Control Car Club-
Old 11-11-2010

Send a message via MSN to JonMack Send a message via Skype™ to JonMack

Why not just buy a Phat Chunk?!
Old 12-11-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Tom3012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMack View Post
Why not just buy a Phat Chunk?!

Seen the price?

Yes it is possible! Plenty of people have done it! Pretty much just flip the gearbox and extend the chassis

Atomic Carbon S2, S44, Vega B4.1

Trader feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19374
Old 12-11-2010

yeh chunk can add up price wise seen people saying about 300 quid to build one up from parts and donor b4 some say you can sell on all the bits you dont need but its still a big job getting stuff from all over the place and its 1/16th too i was looking at 1/18th would be running against mini t's and exotek's which are just a mini t conversion just thinking mid motor could be betteer than rear motor on the high grip carpet
JQ THE E CAR (on order)
futaba 3vcs
Old 12-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3012 View Post
Seen the price?

Yes it is possible! Plenty of people have done it! Pretty much just flip the gearbox and extend the chassis
http://www.uk-microrc.co.uk/forum/in...howtopic=15785

Yeah I have seen the price, after selling my Shark and all my spares I came out making profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdunk View Post
yeh chunk can add up price wise seen people saying about 300 quid to build one up from parts and donor b4 some say you can sell on all the bits you dont need but its still a big job getting stuff from all over the place and its 1/16th too i was looking at 1/18th would be running against mini t's and exotek's which are just a mini t conversion just thinking mid motor could be betteer than rear motor on the high grip carpet
It took me about an hour (while at work) to source all the parts, and then about an hour to order them all from the different places.

I only mentioned it because at the last national there was one 1/18th 2wd racing, and 8 1/16th 4wds (all chunks), it seems that 1/18th 2wd is a bit of a dying class...
Old 12-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

There should be a few more 18th 2wds running at the other nationals.
Anyway 18th 2wd isn't dying out, that was the average for the whole season 2 years ago!
Old 12-11-2010

Yeah I have seen the price, after selling my Shark and all my spares I came out making profit.[/QUOTE]

not got a shark to sell and already have a mni t

I only mentioned it because at the last national there was one 1/18th 2wd racing, and 8 1/16th 4wds (all chunks), it seems that 1/18th 2wd is a bit of a dying class...[/QUOTE]

we have 3 2wd 18th at our club 2 of will be racing at the next national and could be 3 if the pregnant wife gives me a pass out lol

and all the more reason to try and encourage the class still think would be alot less than a chunk to get up and running
JQ THE E CAR (on order)
futaba 3vcs
Old 13-11-2010
Mad Member

£302 when u already had a few of the parts... Hmm ill take my £50 brand new micro t, get a piece of G10 for £6 and make myself a mini CR2, maybe even treat myself to some 3rqcing shocks at £17 so thats £73... Dont get me wrong i likE the chunk alot! But i dont own a money tree

Old 13-11-2010
Mad Member

We did produce this a few years ago for the mini-t, but no plans for a mid version at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg miniCDB.jpg (48.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 13-11-2010

I think a price estimate of over £300 for a Chunk is a little unfair, sure if you pay full wack for everything then maybe but I've built 2 cars now and cost inc kit price was just over £200 !!

and to me thats well worth it just to be able to mix it with 4wd's and to have a micro car that is tough with a capital T

sorry for thread hijack
Old 13-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3012 View Post
£302 when u already had a few of the parts... Hmm ill take my £50 brand new micro t, get a piece of G10 for £6 and make myself a mini CR2, maybe even treat myself to some 3rqcing shocks at £17 so thats £73... Dont get me wrong i likE the chunk alot! But i dont own a money tree
Neither do I, I'm only 23. I prefer the chunk because it looks so much more robust and like an actual RC car, the Mini T just looks like a cheap toy being used for racing, rather than a car that's been designed from the ground up to be raced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeedy View Post
I think a price estimate of over £300 for a Chunk is a little unfair, sure if you pay full wack for everything then maybe but I've built 2 cars now and cost inc kit price was just over £200 !!

and to me thats well worth it just to be able to mix it with 4wd's and to have a micro car that is tough with a capital T

sorry for thread hijack
As you well know Si, apart from the B4 FT I bought everything brand new. If you look in the right places or have a decent amount of stuff from other cars and projects you've worked on then it would be easy to get it built for £200. You've gotta take into account £85 of that £300 was for a B4 FT, if you could find an old used B4 then I reckon you could pick it up for around £30-40, you don't have to spend oodles like I did.
Old 14-11-2010
Mad Member

Like i said, ive got nothin against the chunk, if i had the money id buy one, but i dont so a mini cr2 for £73 was my best bet

Old 14-11-2010

I think we've gone of track a little guys. The original thread was started becuse 3 or 4 of us at mold MCC have just bought Mini T Pro's with Exotek Converts. There a steal from DMS right now lol. Dunc was asking if what he wanted was possible..If so any info on this would be very well recived. He didnt ask Whats best Chunk or Modded Mini T.

As for Dying class, The Nats have just picked up another 3 runners. If you avrage the meetings out at 50 peeps thats an increase of 6% no? Not bad for 2 rounds in. I'm sure other people would have the same idea now that there cheap and great fun, Some people have lost there way in cheap RC racing lol
Old 15-11-2010

Old 15-11-2010

I keep taking this off topic and for that I apologise, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-JT View Post
18th 2WD racing could have been awesome but it never hit off, which is a shame, and to be honest I think micros as a racing class is on the decline anyway since the newer cars are now too big & fast for the smaller venues and no cheaper to race than a 10th buggy.
There are at least 7 venues that are big enough for this years national series, hence how we've managed to get 7 rounds sorted. Yes the rule changes do call for large venues, but that's just the progression of the class, I'd find the class very boring if we were all driving Mini T's and TT ZT-2's.

Also, how is it no cheaper than a 1/10th buggy? As has been pointed out in this thread, you can do what I did and spend £££ on a Chunk, or you can buy a Mini T with a decent conversion kit from DMS for under £100, or a Shark FT for about £200 (brand new, if you go second hand you're looking at under £200 easily). A set of wheels/tyres costs about £10-20 which will last an entire season, an EzRun 18/25a speedo will cost about £20-£30, and you can pick up a motor for about £15. Batteries cost somewhere between £10 and £30, and with all that you've got yourself a race ready setup. It's possible to spend hundreds and hundreds on kit, just as it is with 1/10th, but you don't have to to be competitive. Craig Harris isn't running uber expensive electronics in his Shark, and he can still kick all of our arses on the track!

Most people will stick with the same tyres/inserts throughout the whole season, which unless you're racing on identical tracks I very much doubt you'll get in 1/10th. If you can find me brand new speedo, motor, and batteries for 1/10th that cost under £75 for the lot and I'll start to believe you, until then, your argument seems pretty poor.

Back on topic, I look forward to seeing you guys at the nats this year.
Old 15-11-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMack View Post
I keep taking this off topic and for that I apologise, but...

There are at least 7 venues that are big enough for this years national series, hence how we've managed to get 7 rounds sorted. Yes the rule changes do call for large venues, but that's just the progression of the class, I'd find the class very boring if we were all driving Mini T's and TT ZT-2's.

Also, how is it no cheaper than a 1/10th buggy? As has been pointed out in this thread, you can do what I did and spend £££ on a Chunk, or you can buy a Mini T with a decent conversion kit from DMS for under £100, or a Shark FT for about £200 (brand new, if you go second hand you're looking at under £200 easily). A set of wheels/tyres costs about £10-20 which will last an entire season, an EzRun 18/25a speedo will cost about £20-£30, and you can pick up a motor for about £15. Batteries cost somewhere between £10 and £30, and with all that you've got yourself a race ready setup. It's possible to spend hundreds and hundreds on kit, just as it is with 1/10th, but you don't have to to be competitive. Craig Harris isn't running uber expensive electronics in his Shark, and he can still kick all of our arses on the track!

Most people will stick with the same tyres/inserts throughout the whole season, which unless you're racing on identical tracks I very much doubt you'll get in 1/10th. If you can find me brand new speedo, motor, and batteries for 1/10th that cost under £75 for the lot and I'll start to believe you, until then, your argument seems pretty poor.

Back on topic, I look forward to seeing you guys at the nats this year.
Does make a good arguement

Old 15-11-2010

Old 15-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-JT View Post
Believe

Brushless lots of choice for £60 (99 US)
Inix
EZ-Run

And LiPos again tonnes of choice for a tenner like this one :-
Zeppin
So those ESC/Motor combos work out about £70ish including shipping. Add another tenner for the lipo and you've gone over my (admittedly low) budget. However, I went on the highest prices that I gave, you could easily get an ez-run esc, motor and a decent battery for a micro for £50. I doubt you'd be able to find tenth kit for that price?

Also using that kit you linked to, could you win a national title? I haven't checked the BRCA allowed batteries list but I'd imagine that wonderful £11 model probably isn't on there.
Old 15-11-2010

Default mini-t

mini-t rtr with free p&p from modelsport 80 quid.seem like another steal!