Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 16-12-2008

Default Just Bought a Durga

Hi all, I just recently purchased a durga as my first rc car and now im in need of the rest of the essentials. So basically what I need is a radio to control it of course, batteries and a charger. I would also like to upgrade the motor and grab the slipper clutch as well. What I need to know is could one of you fine folks give me some info on which products I should go for when Im shopping. I need pretty much everything except the car. Im not worried about prices because Id rather buy what is best rather then have to upgrade something shortly after. So just list what you think would be the best for me if you all could.
Old 16-12-2008

You would also need an ESC (electronic speed control). I would recommend something that has reverse (and preferable a feature to disable reverse when you enter a race). Don't spend too much on a brushed motor only ESC though.

Parts for the Durga I recommend are
- slipper clutch
- flourine coated suspension balls for the TRF415
- aluminium rear suspension mounts (either Tamiya or 3Racing)
- TRF buggy shocks
- four 850 bearings (cheap ones will do) in the steering rack
- Tamiya diff sticker seals
- Team Associated front and rear buggy spring sets if you like lots of suspension tuning
- front universal joint driveshafts if you have more money
Old 16-12-2008

Add if you want a brushless combo, cheapest and IMHO the best value for money Losi Exceloron 13.5T (27Tbrushed ), 10.5T (19Tbrushed), or if you think you want quite a lot more speed, go for the 6.5T, I have this in my TRF501X; they are basically a cheaper version of the Novak GTBs from the looks of them and perform very well for just over the £100 (includes the ESC).
Also if you can afford it grab yourdelf a Spektrum, or other 2.4 ghz tranny kit (no more messing with crystals and a lot better controls for tuning to your choice; good luck, oh for these you will find some good deals new and used on the web and for sale sections of most RC websites including ours.

Last edited by scotoap; 16-12-2008 at 06:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 16-12-2008

thanks for the help guys thats exactly what I needed help with, thank god for forums cause at this point I have no clue on brands or what might be a little better because of one reason or another so all your input is great.
Old 16-12-2008

I have a page on the DB-01. It's at http://www.bigbigplanet.com/rccars/db01/
And it's got a list of things the things I mentioned including part numbers.
Old 16-12-2008

ok scotoap I found the brushless motor combo you mentioned, the LOSB9552 1/10 Xcelorin S 6.5T Brushless Combo to be exact, this is 229.00 US. does this price sound right to you? im having troubles locating the radio you mentioned so could you please point me to a link so I have a better idea of which one you had in mind. and lastly could you give me some input on a battery setup, should i go with lipo or more importantly will I require lipo? sorry but im really new to this and really have no idea on what I will require exactly. one more thing besides the slipper clutch will that motor setup require anything else to drop into the car before I take it for a run or should I be able to just swap out the current motor and go. thanks so much again.
Old 16-12-2008
Mad Member

I would check the gearing (pinion is right for that motor in your car). I have the Losi system in my 2WD and I think it is very good for the money. Futaba do a budget 2.4 ghz radio set which will do everything that you want Daren at DMS racing will be able to sort you with most the things that you need. Cant remember the web addy but you can google it.

Last edited by Spencer Mulcahy; 16-12-2008 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Retard
Old 17-12-2008
Mad Member

www.dms-racing.com
Old 17-12-2008

should i go for a 3 channel radio or will 2 channels do the trick, most of the 2.4ghz radios i see are 3 channel. It looks like ill need servos with the futaba radio as well, or maybe ill need servos with all of the radios. Is there a site for newbies like myself where I could get some of these types of basic questions. I really hate to keep bothering so much unless you all don't mind my lack of knowledge in this sport.
Old 17-12-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to blitzboy

brian speak to darren at dms mate and he ll look after you buddy

http://www.customblitz.co.uk
Email:graham@customblitz.co.uk

Old 17-12-2008
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple

Hi Brandon, no one minds! at least I certainly don't. I was thinking today actually maybe we should have a newbie section where it'll be easier to search out some of these questions / a place to ask questions that some naughty people might think are below them.

all you need is 2 channels. I've had three channels for years and im trying to think what ive used the third for but im not sure i ever have. 2 or three, it doesn't matter
not sure which radio you're looking at but you'll only need 1 servo - there's plenty of good cheaper servos round these days and it's definitely wise to get something decent with metal gears instead of the sort of servos that might come with any transmitter. Best to get just a transmitter and receiver together and servo seperately (usually called a 'combo' if i remember correctly).
The Electronic Speed Controller does the job of throttle so only the one servo is needed, for steering.

oops, this is Jimmy btw - i forgot im on her computer

Old 17-12-2008
oOple Contributor

Send a message via MSN to rcracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs oOple View Post
Hi Brandon, no one minds! at least I certainly don't. I was thinking today actually maybe we should have a newbie section where it'll be easier to search out some of these questions / a place to ask questions that some naughty people might think are below them.

Great idea Jimmy/Mrs O i like it how about specific people answering the questions in certain sections to.
Old 17-12-2008

ok thanks for the info Mrs.oOple. like you mentioned about the newbie section for people who are just starting out like myself and really have no clue on what to buy to get started, I think that would be a great idea as well. I've made many mistakes in the past when starting out in something new and for once i would like to get things right on the first try . oops sorry i forgot it was jimmy, lol
Old 17-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs oOple View Post

all you need is 2 channels. I've had three channels for years and im trying to think what ive used the third for but im not sure i ever have. 2 or three, it doesn't matter
not sure which radio you're looking at but you'll only need 1 servo - there's plenty of good cheaper servos round these days and it's definitely wise to get something decent with metal gears instead of the sort of servos that might come with any transmitter. Best to get just a transmitter and receiver together and servo seperately (usually called a 'combo' if i remember correctly).
The Electronic Speed Controller does the job of throttle so only the one servo is needed, for steering.

Haha. I was just thinking I gotta train my wife to talk like that.
Old 17-12-2008
Mad Member

Most systems are three channel now it as Jimmy said it doesn't matter. here is a of what I think would be a good start for you.

Losi excelorine 6.5t combo AB9552 £114.95
Futaba 3GR FUTCB3GRFS/2.4G £169.95
XP DS1313 servo AS29166 £49.95
Trackpower 3200mah 2cell 7.4volt lipo £44.95
Orion Advantage race spec LIPO charge balancer ORI30127 £49.98

Anything to do with the car will have to be answered by someone like Jimmy as he has one. But you will need things like pinions shock oil a power supply or 12 volt leasure battery (to charge cells) pit table and chair tools tool box or bag and plenty of patience in the first few months, but you will enjoy it and get to meet some fantastic people. If I think of anything else I will add it.

If anybody disagrees with my choices feel free to add what they think.
Old 17-12-2008

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh View Post
ok scotoap I found the brushless motor combo you mentioned, the LOSB9552 1/10 Xcelorin S 6.5T Brushless Combo to be exact, this is 229.00 US. does this price sound right to you? im having troubles locating the radio you mentioned so could you please point me to a link so I have a better idea of which one you had in mind. and lastly could you give me some input on a battery setup, should i go with lipo or more importantly will I require lipo? sorry but im really new to this and really have no idea on what I will require exactly. one more thing besides the slipper clutch will that motor setup require anything else to drop into the car before I take it for a run or should I be able to just swap out the current motor and go. thanks so much again.

Hi brianh,

trannywise heres a link to my supplyer

http://www.microtechracing.com//prod...+KITS+2%2E4GHZ

depends wether you prefer stick or wheel, I have wheel.
They are also my supplier for the losi 6.5T at £117.44 delivered UK.

They do overseas orders I am sure so if you email them using the contact addy on their home page they will give you an all in one price for what you decide on.

Batterywise, I use 4200 niHm saddle packs as the BRCA is going to insist on blast bags for charging at their events for safety reasons as is my club for the coming season.
Check out forums and local clubs for yours in your area etc.

Only other thing I changed was a faster servo for steering as we have a quite twisty track and the normal servo was slowing me down, I used a bluebird 631MG (0.06 sec) as opposed to most normal ones around 0.20 sec. just personal preference though.

Gearing wise its dependant on track conditions/layout, as a starter I was advised to set the gear ratio up so that the car reached its max speed between 1/2 and 3/4s of the way down the main straight (longest) then go up or down 1 or 2 teeth on the pinion to get a compromise if neede for the bends etc. worked for me, but is crucial for the track or circuit your running on to get fastest laps.

If your joining a club then the only other thing you would need if they do not have them for use by members is a personal transponder for recordingyour laps etc. AMB ones are what we use in UK or clones of them; find out from the club you would join before buying though.

Hope this helps you make you decisions M8

Last edited by scotoap; 17-12-2008 at 06:37 AM. Reason: adds
Old 18-12-2008

I think I've settled on the Spektrum DX3S for a radio, I've found a good deal on one in the US and was thinking on making the purchase tomorrow. I Also was wondering if I could go with a 3 cell lipo or does it have to be a 2 cell, are there any restrictions I should know about before purchasing a lipo for the Durga, by that I mean is there a maximum mAh I could use or a max size limit? last thing i want is a battery that doesn't fit in the car without some sort of major modification. thanks again.
Old 18-12-2008

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh View Post
I think I've settled on the Spektrum DX3S for a radio, I've found a good deal on one in the US and was thinking on making the purchase tomorrow. I Also was wondering if I could go with a 3 cell lipo or does it have to be a 2 cell, are there any restrictions I should know about before purchasing a lipo for the Durga, by that I mean is there a maximum mAh I could use or a max size limit? last thing i want is a battery that doesn't fit in the car without some sort of major modification. thanks again.
Regarding 2 or 3 cell lipo I would ask your local club and look at your ruling body for RC regulations for 2009 as far as I know 2 cell is adiquate, but at the moment I am not in to lipo so do some web searches in your region M8
Old 22-12-2008

brianh, what was the Spektrum DX3S price? I'm looking for a radio too.