Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 15-02-2009

Default DB-01 v DF-03MS revisited

Sorry for revisiting an old question, but I'm goind round in circles and really need advice. For Bashing only (not racing) should I get DF03-MS or DB-01? I really like all the extras with the MS, but think DB-01 is a better car. I did read on the forum though - 'Durga is undriveable on rough ground' which worries me a bit. Adding slipper and alu shocks to Durga will really put cost up too. Help, really can't decide...
Old 15-02-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

the big issue with the DF-03 is that the suspension is mounted directly off the gearboxes, so a nasty accident will see your gearboxes gone.

I have had both, and I would rather spend the extra cash on the DB-01 and some upgrades, as it will just be better than the DF-03 in all aspects. And it handles rough ground....
Old 15-02-2009
Mad Member

I loved my DF-03 and it got me back into it after 20 years or so and it got me around the track ok, but the A-part (gearbox) was a weak point and time consuming to change.
I went on to the Durga which is a great buggy and very strong and thats the one i,d go for if i were you...Or a Yokomo B-max
Old 15-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Derby View Post
'Durga is undriveable on rough ground'
Who said that?

The DB-01 is a far better off-roader than the DF-03, although I would suggest getting a Baldre rather than a Durga because the shell fits the chassis better giving better wet weather protection.
pm me bitch, or is it past your bedtime?
Old 15-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Derby View Post
Sorry for revisiting an old question, but I'm goind round in circles and really need advice. For Bashing only (not racing) should I get DF03-MS or DB-01? I really like all the extras with the MS, but think DB-01 is a better car. I did read on the forum though - 'Durga is undriveable on rough ground' which worries me a bit. Adding slipper and alu shocks to Durga will really put cost up too. Help, really can't decide...
trust me mate, get a DB-01, and once you've spent the time building the thing, you'll soon get bored running it in your back garden or wherever.

racing is where it's at
Old 15-02-2009

Sounds like my dilemma is solved, thanks! Damn thing is though since I've been faffing around trying to make my mind up DMS are no longer listing the Durga. They had it online for £124, next best price seems to 'time tunnel models' at £149 with esc. Thanks again.
Old 15-02-2009

Dang! You guys must have been reading my mind!

Was contemplating this very thing a few days ago and after having a DF03 MS with all the right aftermarket hop ups in all the right places decided to go for a DB01 after breaking the DF03 everytime out.

Just posted in this thread:

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...221#post209221

Have a look and let me know what you think.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Paulie
Old 22-02-2009

Just to thank you all for your help, and let you know I was lucky enough to buy Jimmy's Durga (the hopped up one)! Think I'm going to be happy with it...!
Thanks again
Old 08-05-2009

Hi, I'm new here.

It's been a long time since I did any RC racing, but I have recently got the urge to get back into it. I started out AGES ago with a boomerang, then went on to an optima-mid, before loosing interest and getting into going out and getting drunk instead

I was just about to post asking the same question, when I found this thread and thought I'd dig it up.

From this it seems people here are saying the DB01 is MUCH better, but I have read elsewhere the some people still prefer the DF03. Is it personal taste, or do these people not know what they are talking about?

Also, there seem to be more hop-up parts for the BF03...or am I missing something?

Last edited by F1END; 08-05-2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: bad English fixed
Old 08-05-2009
Mad Member

Ive had both. The Df03 is more fun to drive around as its not as sure footed (although its by no means a bad handling buggy), but if I was racing i would have the Db01. I've kept my df03 as my basher, and now use a trf501x as my racing car.

If you wanted to race, the db01 would be the best choice. Its a top car.
Old 08-05-2009

Thanks, thats quite an informative reply. But it's made my choice harder, as I will mostly be using it for bashing at first, but would like the option to go racing after hopping it up a bit. I did used to love throwing my old car around tho, so I'm still kinda tempted to just get a DB03, and if I want to get back into racing, sell it and get something better.

As far as the different DB03's go, what is the difference between the basic ones? (Dark Impact, Keen Hawk, Avante mkII) as they seem to be different prices Is it just the body shell, or are there different parts?

Don't think I can quite afford a DF03MS with all the other stuff I'd have to buy for it, as I hear it doesn't come with a motor, tyres, or a pinion. All adds up
Old 08-05-2009
Mad Member

they are all the same apart from the shells.

the df03ms has lots of the hop-ups you will need to race the df03, my mate races his df03 ms and its still a capable club level car.
Old 15-05-2009

Send a message via MSN to darryl

the df03 is a very capable club racer,ok so its not a world beater, and does lack a little over the bumps only draw back is not being able to run brushless in it due to lack of space and gearing,currently i am using the dbo1 chassis or i will do once i get my arse back into gear and go racing again,, but for sheer fun i do like the dfo3
tenth technology predator xk98
Old 17-05-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
only draw back is not being able to run brushless in it due to lack of space and gearing
You can run brushless in a DF03, in fact you can/could get one with a Carson (Dragster I think) branded motor and ESC in the box instead of the silver can 540. PBM Racing had one on the shelf a while back. I think it was about £185.
Old 17-05-2009
Mad Member

I have a 5.5t brushless in my Df03.. Its great fun
Old 17-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatmix View Post
I have a 5.5t brushless in my Df03.. Its great fun
what brushless system are you using????
Old 17-05-2009
Mad Member

its one of those Ez-run 60amp ones. The car goes like a rocket I can send you some pics if you want to see how it fits? It just went straight in.

As its more for bashing around than racing, its running the 26t pinion with the 82 spur (that comes as std with the slipper)
Old 17-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatmix View Post
its one of those Ez-run 60amp ones. The car goes like a rocket I can send you some pics if you want to see how it fits? It just went straight in.

As its more for bashing around than racing, its running the 26t pinion with the 82 spur (that comes as std with the slipper)
some pics would be good please,thankyou very much,
darryl
Old 18-05-2009
Mad Member

Ok will post pics tonight