Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Ribble Valley R/C Car Club

Old 19-01-2013

Default Off road buggys running onroad tyres

Whats everyones opinion on this , i noticed theres more n more buggys runnin foams now not too mention the amount of additive theyre using , personally i dnt see the point theyre supposed be off road cars , if you waant too run foams buy a mardave or a touring car !!! . I noticed my minipins arent working aswell now with all the additive thts gettin put down on the carpet , whats the clubs view are we going too ban foams on buggys ????
Old 19-01-2013

Can't see why there needs to be a ban on them many clubs run them I think if the club allows them? Then if foams are your thing use them or the other way round with pins each to there own don't know what the big problem is with people spitting there dummy out over them
Old 19-01-2013

here's my opinion foams make a buggy like a c car now a few of the A final lads are running them it will only be a matter of weeks before everyone will have to run them they already take a second a lap off the times.
Nobody with pins will be able to keep up. Now if everyone starts running them it will end up rotting the carpet or will make it crap for any other tyres
I personally think foams should be for mardaves only
on the other side of the coin 20+ years ago thats all we all run on buggies indoors I remember the horrible smell of the track tight that we ran. But the racing was a lot closer back then so do foams actually make the racing smoother because you get better control with them... So which is the better of the two evils I don't know
Old 19-01-2013

Glad someone else posted this, was thinking the same but think people are probably tired of my posts on here.

I was wondering the same. Still running pins, but definately think its now costing me. Foams seem to be definately quicker, plus will probably last way better than pins, so could make keeping competitive much more cost effective.

Having said that, it feels completely wrong puttung onroad tyres on an off road car. Anybody got any track ideas that would be rubbish for foams

Years ago the chorley club used inverted guttering as a bumpy section.

Anyway as martin said if it continues everyone will be on foams, I am seriously considering it. If thats what we want no worries, if not better to nip it in the bud now.
Old 19-01-2013

well my car handle so differently through out the night just the pure fact that more additive was getting in the carpet, i found the racing was ok with 8 in a heat where their plenty of room to overtake but with 10 in a heat is not raceable but i am running 2wd, so if people r using foams split the 2wd's and 4wd's, i dont think u can mix 2 types of tyre in the same race, speeds r too different
Old 19-01-2013

Easy answer is Ban the use of additive on foam tyres for buggys.
Foams become too slow then.

2nd is 1st placed loser!!

Old 19-01-2013

We will be having a committee meeting before the AGM within the next two weeks, this and other items will be discussed. Please remember that any changes to the rules should come from the members as long as its not detrimental to the club. Such a change can only made at the AGM.

As the Mardaves have always run with additive this shouldn't change for them. Someone said on Friday that changes to the track would cancel out the foams, if this can be done it wouldn't need a change in rules.

Please put any proposals to the committee.

Peter
Old 20-01-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattK View Post
Easy answer is Ban the use of additive on foam tyres for buggys.
Foams become too slow then.
That's the answer!
Old 20-01-2013
Banned

Run buggys with no tyres! They will be really slow then!
Old 20-01-2013

Like ur thinking matt cheaper racing all round haha
Old 20-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by adprim View Post
well my car handle so differently through out the night just the pure fact that more additive was getting in the carpet, i found the racing was ok with 8 in a heat where their plenty of room to overtake but with 10 in a heat is not raceable but i am running 2wd, so if people r using foams split the 2wd's and 4wd's, i dont think u can mix 2 types of tyre in the same race, speeds r too different
Me and Callum have been of the same opinion for some time now that 2wd and 4wd should be split.
Old 20-01-2013

Wayne,
We are racing off road cars but not on an off road circuit, it's only natural that racers will seek that extra competitive edge. Me and Callum don't currently run foams however if they aren't banned and more and more people start using them then we'll look at getting some.
Old 20-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1972 View Post
Me and Callum have been of the same opinion for some time now that 2wd and 4wd should be split.

We had a big discussion at the last agm Lee about spliting them ..The problem you will get at Ribble is that the abilty levels you would race against would be so diffrenet that the top 2wd drivers would end up lapping people in there heats by 5 or 6 laps. Also you dont have a 50 /50 split of 2wd and 4wd unfortantly it seems most people favour 4wd so you would only end up with one heat of 2wds it would get a bit boring after a few weeks
Old 20-01-2013

i dont see it a problem 2wd in with 4wd as i like the idea of racing someone at the same speed as me. i found when driving 4wd it made me look a lot better due to the cornering holding ability. i dont think foams change this as it could only be the difference between a different make of tire aswell.

if anything its just people maybe using a little too much additive so a lot gets left on the track on the first lap. i always wipe of excess beforehand.

the additive that gets left on carpet i do find makes my buggy tires wear a lot faster but i know the need for it on gt12's so i dont think banning that will solve anything.

if people want to use foams then fine by me. people do the same when a new tire is used or when a tire is discovered that works better than the usual do we stop its use....no its the idea of racing. people use what they prefer for how they drive. id use foams if they were easy to find due to the constant grip feeling and how long they last compared to rubber tires wearing.

in the end its just someone has found a tire/foam more suitable for racing and its helped them beat another and they dont like it hahaha
Old 20-01-2013

I think splitting 2/4 is more important than tyres. I only race 2WD and find it massively off putting to racing at Ribble that they are mixed in together.

It's not surprising that 4WD is more popular now, very difficult for 2WDs to compete with 4WDs. 4WD didn't used to be more popular and isn't typically at other clubs where the classes are separate.

The ability gap would be less of an issue because more would race 2WD if they were split. Also lapping/being lapped is an important skill and with a bit of care by both drivers shouldn't destroy the race.

A half way house would be to at least treat the classes separate, score points separately so the 2s/4s don't feel they're in the same race and would hopefully give each other more room on the track.

As for foams, I can't see appeal of being faster for the sake of it and I'd rather race pins, but at the same time they're not the worst thing in the world. They do last a long time, although this is less the case the more competitive you are as you seek to keep a good profile on them.

Racing's foams is far nicer without additive, we've banned it at South Lakes, it's not easy to police though, it's only done on trust. We have drivers who run the same tyres at Ribble with additive, but don't put on any on at South Lakes, obviously some effect of the additive is still there though. It's also hard to tell if someones pasted their tyres with it at home.
Old 20-01-2013

Send a message via MSN to bandit

Has anyone got a link to where I can get foam tyres for my buggy?
Old 20-01-2013

2wd and 4wd are split in the series rankings, even though not each week. Ribble is an evening club with time limits so separating classes could mean less rounds or significant skills difference. I must admit that the discussions seem quite serious when Ribble is "racing for fun" and helps to bring the youngsters on.
Old 20-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlc57 View Post
Ribble is "racing for fun" and helps to bring the youngsters on.
Gotta say you guys do a great job of that don't know any other clubs with so many young 'uns.
Old 20-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoyner View Post
Gotta say you guys do a great job of that don't know any other clubs with so many young 'uns.

+1 for this we have some of the most talented under 16s in the country racing week in week out at Ribble and is one of the most friendly places to race but we do have a very decent class of adult racers that want a competitive race meet on a Friday night and Ribble provides this very well
Old 20-01-2013

Well this is going nowere people are saying about the difference in ability if we split 2wd and 4wd that people will be gettin lapped more well this is already an issue 2wd is hard too keep up with 4wd but now with running foams is even worse theyre just lapping 2wd for fun , this means 2wd lads are constantly having too get out the way either tht of jus get rammed out the way which is going too get really annoying very quickly i know a few lads tht are already feelin this way , there was a big issue last week about the cars being too fast well now they are even faster and as one of the top lads said too me foams are great for loads of grip but when they let go you go off big because your going alot quicker with that grip , for such a small track surely theyre not needed ???!!!??!!?