Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 05-12-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
That's pretty crazy when you think about it. I bought mine overseas - if someone wants to give me one for free to review go for it, but I already have too many cars than I have time for - I need to get a car asap (hence overseas - stalled launches are a new thing on me!) and cheap as possible since I spend far far farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrr too much on oople.com as it is.

if I could steal the thing I would.
You would think the maunfactureres like Tamiya would be hapy to give you one to build and review, even if you had to give them back, just like computer mags are given stuff. Do they not know the importance of this site to us and how many hits you get on it.!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2007

Anyone who's built up their Durga find that the 23T pinion is a long shank type and doesn't fit on the 540 stock motor shaft?

Also Tamiya have done the usual and put metal bushings for the steering so best to order a 4pk of 850 bearings at the same time as the kit.
Old 05-12-2007

You know I cant believe how stupid i've been. I should have sent Jimmy the kit I bought for assembley / review and he could have either sent the complete car back or replaced the kit to me when his came over from the land far away!!!! Dah!!!!!
Old 05-12-2007

let me get this straight in my fuzzy old brain box.

x1 V Parts: 51280 (includes 2)
x1 W Parts: 51281 (includes 2)
x1 X Parts: 51282 (includes 2)
x1 Damper Parts Bag: 9404701

These are the parts for the 501x shocks enough to make 1 pair.
Now forgive my ignorance (again!!) but are the shocks same front and rear?
So really I need to order 2 each of the above yes? (part confusion make wayneski Maaaaad!)

Last edited by wayneski; 05-12-2007 at 09:21 AM. Reason: sausage fingers
Old 05-12-2007

From RC Champ
"Tamiya says they will release optional damper set for DB01 around February"
Old 05-12-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasey View Post
Anyone who's built up their Durga find that the 23T pinion is a long shank type and doesn't fit on the 540 stock motor shaft?

Also Tamiya have done the usual and put metal bushings for the steering so best to order a 4pk of 850 bearings at the same time as the kit.
the smaller pinion is for the silver can motor....
Old 05-12-2007

Quote:
et me get this straight in my fuzzy old brain box.

x1 V Parts: 51280 (includes 2)
x1 W Parts: 51281 (includes 2)
x1 X Parts: 51282 (includes 2)
x1 Damper Parts Bag: 9404701

These are the parts for the 501x shocks enough to make 1 pair.
Now forgive my ignorance (again!!) but are the shocks same front and rear?
So really I need to order 2 each of the above yes? (part confusion make wayneski Maaaaad!)
wayneski,It will make the 4 dampers (see pic of the damper bag)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9404701.JPG (85.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 05-12-2007

I really think that some of us need to get in touch with Tamiya and let them know the importance of Jimmy's reviews for their products here on oople. I have got to say that he does a very good job with his reviews and not to mention the time that he invests putting in to them. Tamiya is not obligated to do anything for him since he obviously doesnt work for them, but at the same time i think that they should recognize the good that he does for their company. A free kit for the upcoming Durga review and for future releases of tamiyas models i dont think is a far fetched idea. Maybe we can start a petition or something for Jimmy. Anyways keep up the good work, because you do a damn good job. You should work for an RC magazine.
Old 05-12-2007
Administrator

if there was a 'gold star' function on vbulletin I think you'd be getting several! lol Seriously though, in terms of the Durga it would have been nice even to buy a car when they (tamiya) had one - which I'm told is at least a couple of months. Oh well!
Old 05-12-2007

Do you have one on the way Jimmy? I was also wondering why you want to buy one from tamiya anyways? Why not just buy one from the many shops that they distribute them to?
Old 05-12-2007

Tamiya Global release has worked this time, otherwise Jimmy and I would be some of the first in the world to get an official release db01... as it is, they have been strict this time, and long gone now, are the days of RC-Champ getting you stuff days, if not weeks before the rest of the world.

I got me a set of TRF shocks on order now...
Old 05-12-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiya Slave View Post
Do you have one on the way Jimmy? I was also wondering why you want to buy one from tamiya anyways? Why not just buy one from the many shops that they distribute them to?
Like DCM said - I wanna get one as soon as I can so I can start reviewing it - which takes a while. Tamiya have had it finished for a couple of months and sitting on shelves / sent out to magazines for review. If I could buy one direct the review would be just about done by now

I don't have one on the way no. I have..... Three.. Don't ask
Old 05-12-2007

three.... thats gone up from two... has the boss ordered one too?
Old 05-12-2007
Administrator

I thought I told you ! lol, never mind.. no one's for sale, ones for review, ones for giveaway madness
Old 05-12-2007

Im not to sure it matters to me when you get the buggy reviewd, since i have mine on the way. I appreciate the reviews just as much after i am done building, as was the case with the keen hawk. I guess you were probably pretty late with that review since the dark impact had already been out for a bit before the hawk. Im sitting here thinking to myself, whats 1 measley kit to a huge company like tamiya worth anyways. I will try to see at some point this week if i can give tamiya an email asking them what they think on this subject matter. Not only am i doing this for Jimmy, but i would like to see personally what they have to say.
Old 05-12-2007

cause in a mag, they are almost garaunteed a positive review....
Old 06-12-2007

the best reviews are impartial ones....if they gave me a freebie my impartiality may be compromised (or maybe percieved as compromised).... having said that, ......I'd never look a gift horse in the mouth (whatever the hell that means ?!)
Old 06-12-2007

I got mine yesterday. Have finished building the transmission (including slipper as I got one with the kit) and will start work on the suspension tonight.

The drivetrain is very smooth, including the diffs. No surprises here considering it uses all the new 501 pulleys. I did what was mentioned on the previous page and glue the diff rings to the plastic holder -the manual does actually tell you to do this. I also installed ceramic balls in the rear diff.

The car is also supplied with a 91t spur, I think that the original 501x 96t spur gear may be too big to fit (ie: rub on the chassis)

The drivetrain is not 100% sealed either. Front and rear cases are good but the central "tunnel" has a couple of small gaps - a bit of foam should sort this out. Also, there are two unused holes in the motor mount (for the optional belt tensioner kit) - they probably sould have included some plugs for these holes.

Speaking of plugs, the lower motor screw access hole is covered by just a piece of tape, again, Tamiya probably should've included a XX4 style rubber plug.

The shock towers were a big surprise as they are very stiff - not like the DF03 ones at all. The rear tower only flexes very slightly in the middle but otherwise both are very beefy and should even be good enough for competition use.

The use of seperate pieces for attaching the front and rear suspension is also a big improvement over the df03, and also allows front caster adjustments to be made - even the 501 didn't have this

The only dissapointing part is that tamiya have omited many of the small metal spacers used between bearings, inside diffs, ball studs etc and replaced them with less-precise plastic ones. I know they have to make it to a budget but I seriously doubt removing 10 or so metal spacers is going to make a big difference to the cost of the kit.

Otherwise the car all looks good, and to be honest with only a few "required" hop-ups I can see this car performing just as well on track as the 501x.
Old 06-12-2007

Hello, New to this forum but have been lurking for quit a while. I took my Durga out for it's shakedown last night and have to say that I'm pretty satisfied with it. My driving is not the best (usually awful) but buggy took everything I could dish out and came back for more. Much more durable than Lazer that I have been using. Minor complaints- the diffs move up and down in their mounts a little bit, steering a little sloppy, body sitting down on chassis does not leave room for taller electronics. Just need to get the slipper and shocks and I'll be set for club racing.

Old 06-12-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
the smaller pinion is for the silver can motor....
Yeah, read that in the side bar but to me it seems kinda strange to have two different types of pinions. I was hoping use the 23T for racing in our 540 stock class this weekend as that would be in the right ballpark (a 24T would be ideal) and I don't have anything smaller than a 27T. Off to the LHS I guess....