Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 27-08-2014
Mad Member

Default Horizon hobbies uk ?

Just seen a post on Facebook by Dave Spashett reference horizon hobbies uk.
Have they closed there uk business? Or have they gone bust?
Has anyone heard anything?
Old 27-08-2014

I believe its just the warehouse that has closed, they are probably moving the distribution to Europe like other companies have done.
Old 27-08-2014

Default w/house

i think its just the warehouse side of the business and goods will be despatched direct from germany to shops so maybe a day longer on deliveries so no real change ,but people in the warehouse may loose there jobs which is a shame and i hope they all find some thing soon
Old 27-08-2014
Mad Member

Yeah but as you say staff will loose there jobs.
Shame on horizon hobbies.
Old 27-08-2014
SHRCCC Legend

Maybe they need to cut costs to survive? Shame on people's jobs in any case.
Old 27-08-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

fantastic, lets hope its not another kyosho with no parts in uk apart from whats in the shops:thumb down: great shame for anyone losing there jobs

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 28-08-2014

as quoted in an email from Horizon to us this morning

The ‘news’ is that our warehouse in the UK will be closing, no date has been given yet, and all goods will then be despatched from Horizon in Germany. This is the only change and everything else will remain the same. Hopefully a letter will be sent out shortly explaining the details to all of our customers.
Old 28-08-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
fantastic, lets hope its not another kyosho with no parts in uk apart from whats in the shops:thumb down: great shame for anyone losing there jobs
In fairness does that really cause any issues? I've never been left unable to race due to no parts availability in the 7 years or so I've been running Kyosho.
You just have to be organised enough to order a couple of working days ahead, no biggy.
Old 28-08-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I have had trouble, but thats only because I try hard to support my small LHS when parts come from Europe they tend not to want to send just one part in a jiffy, say in the case I had a front hub. Not knocking the guys at FDL uk but I remember the days of the guy in my shop being able to phone direct to the guy at the warehouse (normally a racer) who new the part, knew the hurry and would shove it in a jiffy with some 1st class.

Roger, I'm starting to wonder if you have a Kyosho tattoo….and were it maybe

Flask of tea & a rollup
Old 28-08-2014
Mad Member

There - in that place. Their - belonging to them. They're - they are. Whinge over...

End of an era for me. I was there when George Land and Gerry Goldberg first appeared at Luton Club with some Novak servos and Parma Stock motors. I think Helger was derived from Helen and Gerry - I think Helen was Gerry's partner at the time.

They built it up from nothing to one of the UK's premier model distributors, and along the way acquired the talents of Richard and Jackie Delves after Gerry left for the US. Then came the sale to Horizon, the major expansion and now this.

I raced with George and for George as a sponsored driver. We enjoyed many seasons on the On-Raod and Off-Road National circuits, and many more meals and drinks during those events! The ride up to Washington for a National through the teeth of a gale and a storm that made staying in one line a test of skill is a particular highlight!

End of an era really. Best of luck to those who may be affected by closing the UK warehouse, and sorry it has to end this way for you.
Old 28-08-2014

I've mailed and tried ringing today as I have a problem with my sons radio but no ones answering anything at the moment which isn't good
AE B74
AE T6.1
AE SC6.1

Kits and parts supplied by:
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/[/size]

My Feedback thread: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...945#post691945
Old 29-08-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

LOL Dave, no Kyosho tattoo I'm sorry to say.

Back on topic I remember the customer service I got from Horizon when I ran Spektrum radios, a dropped radio fixed and returned in 3 working days for just the cost of parts and postage!

Shame to see the UK distribution chain narrow further
Old 29-08-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Foo Foo

Yes Dave, he does have a tattoooo on his FOO FOO but they could only get half a K on it.....

**** 5 Metres Speed Swimming Champion 1976****
Old 29-08-2014

This is the latest news sent to us today

Dear Valued Business Partner,
We are writing to inform you that we as Horizon Hobby have decided to make a change to our logistics operation in the UK. This change is made in order to improve our overall logistical service levels and efficiency going forward. We have elected to use our European Distribution Centre in Elmshorn, Germany to fulfill your orders, the EU Distribution centre has a vast level of experience with logistic fulfillment and is currently serving all European markets successfully such as France, Italy and Spain. This change has several advantages also for you, it will enable Horizon Hobby UK to bring new items faster to the UK market with one delivery point for our vendors in Europe. It will also ensure that new items come to market simultaneously in all areas of Europe going forward. The concentration of the logistics operation in our EU Distribution Hub will also improve our general fill rates and service levels in all product categories across the board. We will not be forced to engage in cross shipping between both locations and as a result this will aid us in the replenishment of our inventory more frequently.
The change has been carefully planned and will be executed from 15/09/14. There will be no change in the business model or business processes for you. Horizon Hobby UK Ltd will remain the company that will cater to all your needs; you will still place your orders either with your Area Rep or through our B2B system. The sales and Service team in Harlow will be available as normal for all your ongoing requirements and are unaffected by the change.
We will continue to have a Service warehouse in Harlow. This will be used for the Service department, small parts and also returns.
In summary, there is no change for you and the way we do business together except that the parcels will come from a different distribution centre. The main advantage will be better product launches and an increased service level. We value your continued support and are looking forward to serving you to the best of our ability.
Best regards
Mark Divito and Stephen Mallinder
Managing Directors
Horizon Hobby UK
Old 29-08-2014

hobbyking now have a greater presence than horizon ironic they are supposed to be the copy's
Old 29-08-2014

HobbyKing seams to doing well ,they are expanding quickly too.
Old 01-09-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
I have had trouble, but thats only because I try hard to support my small LHS when parts come from Europe they tend not to want to send just one part in a jiffy, say in the case I had a front hub. Not knocking the guys at FDL uk but I remember the days of the guy in my shop being able to phone direct to the guy at the warehouse (normally a racer) who new the part, knew the hurry and would shove it in a jiffy with some 1st class.

Roger, I'm starting to wonder if you have a Kyosho tattoo….and were it maybe
Dave You had Trouble getting parts 5 years ago from Your LHS for one reason, they had not paid their account and was on hold, We was to used as scapegoat for that, always easy to use the Distributor as an excuse! I never told you that previous as i thought is was not appropriate to mention but as we don't deal with them anymore I don't care to say now!

As long as Horizon can get shops to hold stock in the UK then it wont be a problem and all the racers will be supported as well as they are now. I have a lot of respect for Horizon, I know many of the staff and wish them well for future.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 01-09-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor View Post
Yes Dave, he does have a tattoooo on his FOO FOO but they could only get half a K on it.....
Old 01-09-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Skull View Post
Dave You had Trouble getting parts 5 years ago from Your LHS for one reason, they had not paid their account and was on hold, We was to used as scapegoat for that, always easy to use the Distributor as an excuse! I never told you that previous as i thought is was not appropriate to mention but as we don't deal with them anymore I don't care to say now!

As long as Horizon can get shops to hold stock in the UK then it wont be a problem and all the racers will be supported as well as they are now. I have a lot of respect for Horizon, I know many of the staff and wish them well for future.
only had the facts I knew then.

on the horizon front unlike kyosho at the start the ordering is staying in the uk,so you can still pick the phone up to a uk office just were it comes from thats changed, so with luck we shouldn't see any change

Flask of tea & a rollup

Last edited by racingdwarf; 01-09-2014 at 01:36 PM.